XBMC Notifications

ajplante

ajplante

Is there anyway you could include support for notifications, either through a plugin or nativly, for XBMC's native JSON interface? It would be great to be notified when new shows are added right on my XBMB3C machine.

what is the flow of information you're proposing? to notify xbmc via the json api or to receive notifications?

ajplante

To notify the XBMC Json API via the mediabrowser server. I would like to be able to see when content is added to my server while I am watching a show on my HTPC downstairs. 

Understood. This is a good idea.

The notification system is built in a modular fashion to allow multiple inputs and outputs.  If someone wanted to build a plugin to notify xbmc, it would be very easy. Here's an example from the Notify My Android plugin:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Plugins/blob/master/MediaBrowser.Plugins.NotifyMyAndroidNotifications/Notifier.cs#L43

It is basically just one method that needs to be implemented - SendNotification

Or the guys could build this into their add-on.  They should already have the websocket connection that is getting these notifications now.

xnappo

Probably we could use the xbmb3c websocket, but the normal notification system is already built in to the skins - so would be nice to just use it.

xnappo

Probably we could use the xbmb3c websocket, but the normal notification system is already built in to the skins - so would be nice to just use it.

xnappo

Right - so can't the add-on subscribe to the websocket message that the server is already sending and translate to the message protocol understood by the skins?

the server is only sending raw id's. so they'd have to listen and then query for whatever information the xbmc json api is expecting. Since snazy2000 is a veteran at this now, I'm sure a plugin is something he could do.

xnappo

We would have to listen on our websocket port, then rebroadcast on the xbmc websocket port.  Do-able? Yes - but not sure that is the right way to go. 

xnappo