Emby Server resets after latest macOS update

CMJR23

CMJR23

Hi all,

My Emby server has been running awesome on my M2 Pro Mac Mini until this morning when I installed the macOS 13.3.1 (a) rapid security update. After my Mac Mini rebooted, Emby started up as though it was being set up for the first time. All my libraries and users were no longer there. I then quit Chrome and tried to start the Emby Server app manually, would not launch at all.

I then noticed that the Emby Server folder was in my user folder - I can't recall if it was there previously which is why I think Emby did not have its previous configuration.

Where should the Emby Server folder be? I have tried first moving it to /Library/Application Support and then tried starting Emby - same thing, would not start.

I then tried moving the Emby Server to /var/lib - same thing, Emby Server would not launch

Where should the Emby Server folder be in macOS?

Thanks all

Hi, the server's data folder is typically going to be /users/{user}/embyserver or ./config/{user}/embyserver

Does that help?

CMJR23

Hi Luke,

Yes, that does 🙂

That explains why I had the Emby Server folder in the Macintosh HD/Users/myusername. Still does not explain why Emby is not able to start even when I try right mouse clicking and selecting Open.

I had to rebuild the server from scratch. Thankfully, none of my media files were lost. Would you know what would cause this? Not sure if the logs reveal anything but I have attached the last log prior to installing the macOS update.

Also, once Emby Server is running, is using the web browser the only way to access and manage it? I recall that on the Intel Mac, there is an Emby Server icon in the menu bar at the top, not in the Apple Silicon version though so only option I have is to use the web browser.

Thanks Luke

embyserver-63818703516.txt

Edited by CMJR23
forgot to attach log file

• 5 weeks later...

@CMJR23I'm not sure what would have caused this. Has it happened? Are you still running into the issue of being unable to start with 4.7.13?

CMJR23

Hi Luke,

So far it has not occurred again and it is likely because I have not performed a macOS update. I will update my M2 Pro Mac Mini soon to Ventura 13.4 and will let you know if this occurs again. Thanks for the follow up. I too found it very strange. Thankfully, I did not lose any media, just the configuration.

Regards,
Charles

• Thanks 1