Emby again can't play 4K MKV movies

Canavese

Canavese

My Apple 4K (2nd Gen) had troubles playing 4K UHD movies and after I changed playback from AUTO to NATIVE, it worked fine.   Now it doesn't work again.   And, as before, if I play the same movie in Infuse, it is OK there.   

So, as a test, I tried moving Emby from my Mac M1 mini to my Synology NAS server.   I also moved the movies from an external hard drive to the NAS.   And....the same thing.   When I play the movie with NATIVE, the movie doesn't even start.   If I change the Playback to AUTO or MKV, the movie plays OK for about 5 minutes or so and then there are pauses and whirly birds.

Then I noticed there was a new server version so I upgraded both servers to 4.7.11.0 and retested 4K with the same result.   Very strange that it used to work well and now it doesn't.   

I have Google Nest WIFI and everything is ethernet wired.  Infuse has a means to measure speed and it is over 60 mbps.

So, just in case it is a router problem, today I am switching out the Google hardware with the faster Asus AX XT8 and will test the Emby server both on the Mac and the NAS and report back.   I'll also test Infuse and I believe I can test another movie player (Channels) on both the NAS and the Mac Mini.  

If there is still a problem with the faster network, I'll do a formal problem report.   If this is a known problem, please let me know before I get too deep in this.

Canavese

Well, I installed the faster network and retested 4K both on the NAS server and the Mac Mini (M1) with HDD.

And both worked great !!!   No dropouts -- no fail to run.

And other APPs are faster.  Netflix, etc just pop to life now.

• Thanks 1

Canavese

My NAS CPU isn't a barn burner.   The movie stopped dead a few times so I switched the server back to a Mac Mini but left the files on the NAS

• Thanks 1