Playback issues with avc1 codec tagged files

Surreality

Surreality

I’ve recently started having issues with h264 files that have been downloaded to my phone that are tagged with the the avc1 codec. I’m unsure if this started in the latest version of the Emby app on iOS (as there’s no way to downgrade) but playback is choppy and stutters in an erratic fashion.

As mentioned, this is downloaded to the phone so this is not a transcoding issue. The file is direct playing but I’m unable to work out why this problem has only started recently. The device that these are being played on an iPhone 14 Pro.

Hi, if you play it from the server rather than the download, how does that compare?

Surreality

I just tried streaming it via my NAS and it has the same issues. I don’t transcode as my device doesn’t support it (Synology) but these files used to play flawlessly on my device.

I just tried this file on Emby using my AppleTV and have the same problem with the stuttering. It’s not the specific file as anything tagged with the avc1 codec tag has this issue in both Emby on iOS and tvOS.

Surreality

Anything not tagged with avc1 seems fine (even other h264 files). That was the only difference I could see between files that work and don’t work.

Surreality

Just to add to this, I’ve tried deleting the entire app and re-downloading (2.2.7) however the issue is persisting. I found an older version online (2.1.7) which I have sideloaded onto my phone - the issue does not occur and it plays fine.

I feel as though the bug was introduced during 2.2.6 or 2.2.7 (the most recent updates approx. 2 months ago). I’m unable to test as I cannot locate versions of 2.2.5 or 2.2.6 in ipa format for sideloading.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can provide to assist.

Edited by Surreality

Surreality

I’ve managed to track down version 2.2.5 of Emby and installed it on iOS - can confirm the bug was introduced is 2.2.6 or 2.2.7 as the files play fine on 2.2.5.

• 2 weeks later...
Surreality

Any update on this or anything else I can do to help fix this issue? It’s a pain having to sideload Emby v2.2.5 every week to avoid the bug…

Hi, can I have you try the beta version of the app to see how it compares? If yes then please send me your itunes email. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Surreality

Hi Luke,

I’ve sent you a private message with my iTunes account email, waiting to hear back from you.

• Thanks 1

Surreality

Hi Luke, thanks for sending through the TestFlight link.

I can confirm the issue relating to playback on files with the avc1 codec tag appears in the 2.2.8 beta. The last version that did not have this issue was 2.2.5. The audio in these files is fine but the video playback seems to stutter backwards and forwards constantly and is unwatchable.

• Agree 1