How to override default profile?

Mr_Groch

Mr_Groch

Hi,

How to override default profile? I have edited default profile to transcode all to mp4 container, saved with default name - "Generic Device" and tried also "Default", but my DLNA players always use default system profile that transcodes to ts container.

• 3 weeks later...
Happy2Play

What device is using the default profile?  Do your logs should a user agent that could be used for your device and added to the profile?

Mr_Groch

Yes, I could add specific profile for that device, but instead I want to override default generic device - for unknown devices in my network - so I can force transcode always to MP4 with embedded subtitles. I have done something like this in Plex server, but now I prefer to use Media Browser ;)

Happy2Play

have you tried editing the default profile in the profile editor?

From my experience the system will not use the modified "Default" profile "Generic Device".  It always returns the system "Default" profile.  Unless something has changed recently. 

The only way I can see would be to modify the system default profile directly (not in profile editor) then make it as "Read only" so the server does not overwrite it.

Mr_Groch

From my experience the system will not use the modified "Default" profile "Generic Device".  It always returns the system "Default" profile.  Unless something has changed recently. 

The only way I can see would be to modify the system default profile directly (not in profile editor) then make it as "Read only" so the server does not overwrite it.

Yes, that's what I've done. Overriding at web profile editor doesn't work... I'm actually noob at Media browser, so please tell me - how to override default profile manually?

Edited by Mr_Groch

It just hasn't been tested before so that's the reason for the issue. in the meantime you can probably create a new profile with a clever regex in the identification header that will match all devices

Happy2Play

Yes, that's what I've done. Overriding at web profile editor doesn't work... I'm actually noob at Media browser, so please tell me - how to override default profile manually?

Go to (Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\config\dlna\system\default.xml) open in text editor/notepad, modify the xml to your needs and save, then right click the xml and mark it as read only so the server doesn't overwrite it.

Note by default any changes made to system profiles are automatically overwritten by the server (this is reason for read only).

Edited by Happy2Play

that's not a good idea. the server will try to overwrite it but it will fail. then in the future if there are schema changes the profile won't be upgraded which will probably introduce other problems.

Mr_Groch

It just hasn't been tested before so that's the reason for the issue. in the meantime you can probably create a new profile with a clever regex in the identification header that will match all devices

Thx for that idea. I have used .* as User-Agent and it works. But maybe if I will ever want to use specific device profile - that default profile probably will handle everything... It's that right?