Media scan per library

ebr

If there haven't been any changes, the scan should do virtually nothing so, unless your entire library is undergoing lots of changes all the time, then this shouldn't have much effect.

Once everything has been scanned in and properly analyzed the first time, subsequent scans should be pretty insignificant.

Betelgeuse

The media scan takes quite some time if having many folders, and a lot of CPU power.

If have added a new movies or a new TV episode it feels unneccesary to rescan all folders.

Couldn't there be a button next to each media folder saying "Scan this folder" in the Media Library?

For me it is almost impossibly to watch a movie when scan is in progress.

Edited by Betelgeuse
  • Like 1

Betelgeuse

Maybe the library scan is slow on my system due to the fact all my files resides on a NAS?

Still the scan uses a LOT of CPU power

As I said, the only way it would do much of anything is if either a lot of new content has been added or there are errors happening all the time.  Most people have their libraries on a NAS.

If you aren't constantly adding lots of new content, then I think we should investigate why your scan is so intensive.  You should open a new thread with a log.

cpaowner

Partial scans are implemented into other 3rd party solutions and would be a great addition to MB3. This would be nice so it wouldn't spin up all your drives, especially in relation to local drives and automatic scanning. Didn't want to create another thread on this since partial drive scanning and scanning per library essentially go hand in hand in saving time and resources.

blade005

The media scan takes quite some time if having many folders, and a lot of CPU power.

If have added a new movies or a new TV episode it feels unneccesary to rescan all folders.

Couldn't there be a button next to each media folder saying "Scan this folder" in the Media Library?

For me it is almost impossibly to watch a movie when scan is in progress.

Have you tried using the Metadata Manager REFRESH option in the WebUI?  I have a large library of TV, Movies and Music and don't always want to wait 10 minutes for a full library scan if one item has been added. I will go into the Metadata Manager in the WebUI and scroll to the library collection that has the NEW item and do a REFRESH for just that one particular library.  The refresh can still take awhile depending on the size of that particular library, but usually it is a lot quicker than scanning your complete library.

Partial refreshes are implemented as indicated above but those will be MUCH more intensive than a library scan because they will force new data to be read and possibly downloaded (depending on the options).

Library scans just look for changes so are much more efficient.

cpaowner

Partial refreshes are implemented as indicated above but those will be MUCH more intensive than a library scan because they will force new data to be read and possibly downloaded (depending on the options).

Library scans just look for changes so are much more efficient.

I was actually referring to a partial library scan in which it would scan only the directory that was updated instead of the entire library. For instance my partial library scans in plex update only the specific folders that are updated and takes about 10-15 seconds to update the library with new content, and doesn't spin up all my drives unnecessarily. However, in MB3 if anything is changed it will update the entire library, scanning all folders (totally ignoring which folder changed) and takes 10-15 minutes to complete the scan, all the while spinning up all my drives. I don't think this is implemented in MB3, or I might have just missed the checkbox, let me know if it's possible :D.

Latchmor

Can I ask how big your library is as "10-15 minutes" is very very long for a refresh? My current library is 448 movies and 1757 episodes and I just added some new stuff, kicked off a scan and it took 43 seconds. Is there something else going on I wonder...

Cheers

we actually do support this already but the issue we go up two levels from whatever changed on the file system. going up two levels will often bring it to the root of the library. it's something that can be improved when time permits.

Can I ask how big your library is as "10-15 minutes" is very very long for a refresh? My current library is 448 movies and 1757 episodes and I just added some new stuff, kicked off a scan and it took 43 seconds. Is there something else going on I wonder...

Cheers

Maybe his MBS installation is separated from the data. Maybe the data is spread across multiple servers and drives. Or maybe it's all just really cheap hardware. Whatever it is we should be able to cope with it.

• Like 1

As I said initially, if your normal library scan is taking 10-15 minutes when only one thing was added somewhere, something is probably not right and you should create a new thread with a log when this occurs.  Perhaps we'll spot it and solve your issue.

cpaowner

It may have been a bit of a stretch when I said "10-15 minutes", and I hope we don't get caught up in representative numbers and more in improvements that could be made to MB3. My actual full library scan takes 6-8 minutes as I have a mix of networked drives and local drives with different content (in hopes of preserving the lifetime of my hard drives, and keeping archived, personal, and old data in a cold state as much as possible). This is nothing that can be improved from a full scan perspective in MB3 as both Plex and XBMC have similar scan lengths in processing the full scope of my data. My networked drives are generally the content I want to keep off, so I do not mind having a bit slower access time to them since I do not access these materials on a daily basis and since no content is added to these drives on a regular schedule. I store mostly older content, family photos, and full rips on these drives and prefer them to last as long as possible to protect my data from drive failure and data corruption. My local drives are generalized around content that I access more frequently and are generally where I place new content I would like to view/archive, and in relation to Plex and XBMC I am able to scan this new content in without accessing my networked data which I prefer to scan on a more defined schedule. I'm glad that Luke has chimed in and it would definetly be a great improvement to those of us that prefer longevity in their hardware in exchange for a few seconds of accessibility.

Beardyname

(in hopes of preserving the lifetime of my hard drives, and keeping archived, personal, and old data in a cold state as much as possible).  great improvement to those of us that prefer longevity in their hardware in exchange for a few seconds of accessibility.

Actually this might have the opposite effect on the life cycle of your disks depending on how often they are spun up/down :) (This has nothing to do with the thread)(And spinning down disks also saves some power)

ginjaninja

we actually do support this already but the issue we go up two levels from whatever changed on the file system. going up two levels will often bring it to the root of the library. it's something that can be improved when time permits.

could this be why adding content to my library precipitates a full library scan every time?

Betelgeuse

could this be why adding content to my library precipitates a full library scan every time?

I think you have Real Time Monitoring under Library -> Advanced enabled

What I know it is enabled by default

My personal suggestion is to disable this, and set a scheduled task  (Advanced -> Scheduled Tasks - > Library) to scan only at a certain time (like in the middle of the night) and "On application startup" (This makes a scan after server start, like after an upgrade). If you need a scan after added something just do a manual scan (Library -> Scan Library)

Edited by Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse

Cheers

My library is 1831 movies, 2532 songs, 4648 episodes and a huge number of Photos and Home Clips .... Guess I have more than average .... Scan takes like 20 mins

Edited by Betelgeuse

ginjaninja

I think you have Real Time Monitoring under Library -> Advanced enabled

What I know it is enabled by default

My personal suggestion is to disable this, and set a scheduled task (Advanced -> Scheduled Tasks - > Library) to scan only at a certain time (like in the middle of the night) and "On application startup" (This makes a scan after server start, like after an upgrade). If you need a scan after added something just do a manual scan (Library -> Scan Library)

But the point of realtime monitoring is to prevent indescriminative full scans. I thought..

The point of real-time monitoring is to react to changes in the library as quickly and accurately as possible.

Betelgeuse

I see the point, but for me it sag the system. I prefere to do it my way. Maybe my server is not good enough?

"My way" works really good, so maybe that can be a clue to those who don't have a high end server?

Edited by Betelgeuse

• 2 years later...