Genre folder images

ronvp
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Installed the Genre cleaner (yet another great tool!!), and find that for my TV shows, I have 2 Genres ("Action & Adventure, Western" and "Action, Drama") which are not defined in my TV shows at all. But they just keep showing up.. how do I get rid of these? There is no way of mapping them as they do not show up in the mapping tool..

Also, I noticed that for Genres that are preceded by a SPACE, they show up as separate genres. Thus " Drama" and "Drama" are both showing. I have mapped the 1 with the space in front to the 1 with out the space and that works perfectly, but maybe a leading and trailing space can be trimmed ??

BTW: it is because of this tool, that Genres are becoming a manageable feature!! GREAT TOOL!!.. HIGHLY recommended!!

what's the item with the space? movie, series, what?

Luke, the item with the space is any Genre that has a preceding space in a movie.xml file..

The space thing should be taken care of by the core.  In fact, I thought we already did but maybe we only caught it on people and not genres.

Installed the Genre cleaner (yet another great tool!!), and find that for my TV shows, I have 2 Genres ("Action & Adventure, Western" and "Action, Drama") which are not defined in my TV shows at all. But they just keep showing up.. how do I get rid of these? There is no way of mapping them as they do not show up in the mapping tool..

Showing up where?

The space thing should be taken care of by the core.  In fact, I thought we already did but maybe we only caught it on people and not genres.

Showing up where?

It Shows up in the available Genre list in the Genre cleaner interface. Thus if there is a preceding space, for say " Drama" and there is also a "Drama" without the preceding space, "Drama" shows up twice in the list.. By clicking on either 1, you can see which one has the space 

On the other issue with the 2 Genres ("Action & Adventure, Western" and "Action, Drama") showing up in Genre view with TV shows;  I found the issue in that a Genre was pulled in from a .XML file in the Episode Metadata folder . The Genre tool, does not appear to pull Genres from the episode Metadata folder, but the Genre view in MBC does.

I guess, that it can be fixed on either side.. Either the Genre tool needs to pull Genres from the Episode metadata folder and allow mapping or the Genre View should not show Genres from the Episode Metadata Folder...

So you had genres defined at the episode level?  I didn't know that was even possible.  Where did they come from?

It might be old metadata saved by us. We used to virtualize Genres at the episode level and pull them from the series, which had the side effect of those genres getting saved into the db.

I did not put them in there or edit the .xml. I have removed those genres manually and it cleaned it up.. and if MBS does not put it back in there, the problem should be fixed..

Since 1 of the issues was in a Pilot movie, it may be that the pilot was listed under normal movies before and I manually moved the whole movie with xml over to the episode directory..

• 2 weeks later...
Mark Anderson

Can't get rid of genre folders. So I have MB3 (latest) and MB C (latest) - upgrade from MB2 and metabrowser. I ran genre cleaner and mapped a bunch and deleted a bunch. When I go to my movies by genre collection, have what looks like "glass folders" with no icon for the ones I deleted. I removed those folders from my genre folder in IBN dir (on NAS), but they still show. I tried a lib scan and quite and restarted WMC. No luck

I'm still puzzled about the IBN for classic. is it still looking at the old config in my programdata\mediabrowser folder? if so, I guess I need to point that at my IBN on NAS.

The IBN is handled on the server.  MBC does not have it's own.

But, the genres you see in a genre view have nothing to do with the folders in the IBN.  Those folders are simply used to source images and other information for items that have no other place to store them.

The folders you see in a genre view are created based on the genres that actually exist in items in your collection.  If you are seeing them there then they still exist in some items.  Did you run the library scan after setting up the GenreCleaner?  If so, please provide the server log from that scan and a screen shot of the GenreCleaner configuration.

What version of the server are you running?  That log didn't contain a start up sequence so I can't tell that nor what version of GenreCleaner is installed.  But, GenreCleaner never came into play in that log either.  Your scans are throwing all kinds of errors related to the file system it looks like.

Can you please be sure your logging level is set to debug mode (Advanced tab), re-start the server and let the library scan finish and then re-post?

GenreCleaner didn't encounter anything to do in that run.  Can you find one of the items that has a genre that you think should be getting removed or translated to something else and edit it in the web client and force-refresh it?  Then post that log.

Also, the screen shots of your GenreCleaner config and the issue you are seeing are always very helpful because the image I have in my mind from your description is not always correct.

Mark Anderson

attached is the new log, The mapping seems to be working perfectly, but still seeing empty (glass like) folders for mapped genres

I did a library rescan after adding the genres to this movie (see attached) post-818-0-58815500-1383400903_thumb.png

Where does the list of genres come from the MB classic gets?

Log.zip

• Solution

attached is the new log, The mapping seems to be working perfectly, but still seeing empty (glass like) folders for mapped genres

Oh, that's a completely different issue.  I thought you had said before that you were still getting genres you shouldn't.

Do you have an image in your IBN/General/Adventure folder?

The genres displayed come from the metadata from your actual items.  It doesn't have anything to do with the folders in the IBN.  Those folders are used to source the images and other information for things.

• Like 1

Mark Anderson

So I solved it. I was sure I had mapped adventure to something. I found the spot where you assign images to genres too. Thanks for the help

Regards

mark