QNAP shuts Emby down

realcodeguy

realcodeguy

My QNAP TS-451+ has been nagging me for months to upgrade the firmware. Now that I've upgraded to QTS 5.0.1.2277 the QNAP shuts Emby server down daily because it's missing a digital signature. Why can't Emby sign their binaries to prevent this? It's the only app I have that isn't digitally signed.

Error    2023-03-16    07:50:04    ---    ---    localhost    App Center    App Installation    [App Center] Emby Server has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the App Center.

Edited by realcodeguy
Included log

GrimReaper

Have you done following, as stipulated on Emby QNAP download page? 

Before installing Emby on QNAP, you must have "Allow installation and execution of applications without a digital signature" selected and applied on the QNAP server at this location: App Center / Settings [gear wheel] / General. (This will produce a warning.) You must leave this setting on in order to avoid having Emby Server app shut down every day or so by the QNAP system (which would then require a manual restart of the Emby Server app).

https://emby.media/qnap-server.html

realcodeguy

Thanks, I guess that setting got cleared when I updated firmware because this didn't happen on the previous version. Or, maybe it's a new setting, not sure.

I'm still curious why you guys can't just sign the files. It is a cost issue or is there some other technical reason?

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, realcodeguy said:

I'm still curious why you guys can't just sign the files. It is a cost issue or is there some other technical reason?

I reckon this sums it up quite well:

On 12/26/2022 at 12:58 AM, Luke said:

HI, unfortunately it's not as simple as any app being able to sign themselves. We're not yet approved for the QNAP app store so so that is the reason you get this message. It is something we are working towards though. Thanks.

realcodeguy

Thank you for the prompt replies. Much appreciated. I hope you guys get approved for the QNAP store soon.