what file formats are supported?

Samus512

Samus512

Is there a link to the supported file formats for audio and video so i can use handbrake to convert my media to allow direct play? 

GrimReaper
34 minutes ago, Samus512 said:

convert my media to allow direct play

That is client dependent, and not all clients support same format. Most common though would still be AVC/AAC, though nowdays I recon majority would also support HEVC/AAC. As said, as it depends on number and variety of your clients, you might find some more combinations that would direct play accross all of them, like HEVC/AC3. 

• Like 1

Samus512

Okay thanks Im currently in the process of converting a 4k HEVC with TRUEHD 7.1 to aac 7.1 to hopefully sort out my transcoding issue.

would my pi 4 be a better solution for playing 4k HEVC or even the orange pi 5? I saw they both have support but I wasn't sure if I'd run into the same issue I'm having now.

from what i could find on the forums my problem is either my surround receiver which doesn't support TrueHD because it is atmos and my receiver is 7.1 non atmos or my tv which also doesn't support atmos.

rbjtech

Multi channel aac - especially 7.1 is also likely to introduce problems.   I would personally run with a AAC 2.0 as the Default track, and add a 2nd multi-channel track for maximum compatibility with all clients - keep the original HD or if you want it lossy, then I'd say EAC3 is the new accepted 'standard'. 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Samus512

my emby pc is what i use to watch movies from. its connected to my 7.1 receiver. Why do you think aac 7.1 would cause issues? I don't use any other device to watch 4k movies. I'm looking for the best supported codecs and file formats to direct play since my cpu is on the older side 3770k. When ive watched other movies in HEVC aac 5.1 it has no issue with direct play. So my thoughts were HEVC and aac 5.1/7.1 to preserve lossless audio and a higher quality imagine that is compatible with watching in the browser.

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, Samus512 said:

So my thoughts were HEVC and aac 5.1/7.1 to preserve lossless audio and a higher quality imagine that is compatible with watching in the browser.

ok - that's cool.  if it plays then that's fine - I'm just saying that a lot of the media devices top out at 5.1 aac.   aac is lossy audio - any conversion from TrueHD or DTS-HD you will be losing quality FYI.

Yeah, if you want multi-channel I'd say that DD and even DD+ support is pretty ubiquitous these days.

AAC  7.1 not so much...

Samus512

I guess to solve the issue of having to transcode i would have to upgrade my tv and avr to be compatible with true hd? My computer says its compatible with DD  DD+ and DTS but my receiver sony STR-DH750 is compatible with Dolby TruHD/Dolby Digital + , DTS HD MA/ DTS HD HR  and cant seem to have my receiver show up as an audio device it only sees my tv as the audio device in the sound settings in windows. I tried looking in the Nvidea driver control panel and it shows my display device as a sony vizio tv. I tried turning pass through off didn't make a difference. so i'm not sure how get windows to see my Sony receiver as the audio device to resolve my audio compatibility issue 

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Sony-STR-DH750-Review.htm thats the receiver i have.

https://support.vizio.com/s/article/E43-E2-Model-Information-1?language=en_US this is the tv

Happy2Play

What is the device connection order?  Are you connecting pc to receiver to tv? 

Most tvs will not passthrough unsupported audio.

Samus512

my pc outputs audio/video through my graphic card to my receiver then have it outputting video to tv. I just changed the hdmi tv input to 1 now my pc sees true hd as a compatible encoder but emby still says it needs to transcode audio to compatible codec. any ideas?

Happy2Play

But a browser will likely never support quality audio tracks.  And in this case Brave only supports this.

&AudioCodec=mp3,aac

So specific clients are required for your question.  Other browsers will have better results.  But need to look at say Emby Theater Desktop but don't know its full passthrough capabilities and is a Premiere client.

Emby Theater - Emby

Emby Premiere Feature Matrix :

Samus512

I just bought premiere and the theater app fixed almost all my playback errors. only having a playback transcoding issue with one movie so far. it says the bit rate is too high so its transcoding down

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

I just bought premiere and the theater app fixed almost all my playback errors. only having a playback transcoding issue with one movie so far. it says the bit rate is too high so its transcoding down

Specific examples are needed with at least the ffmpeg.

GrimReaper

it says the bit rate is too high

That means you have set either Global bandwidth limit, User bandwidth limit or in-app playback quality is set too low. 

Happy2Play

True as server log would be needed to show the connection and ffmpeg to better see what it is doing but can be seen in server log.  But sounds like Client quality Auto may be a factor. @Samus512

• Agree 1

Samus512

would it make sense that its due to the audio being truehd 7.1 atmos. all other videos that have 7.1 like dts hd ma 7.1 work great now on emby theater with no transcoding.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Samus512 said:

would it make sense that its due to the audio being truehd 7.1

It wouldn't, as you wouldn't be getting that as a transcoding reason. As @Happy2Playstated, logs would show. 

Happy2Play

@Samus512there are lots of factors and my need mpv configs but would possibly need to post in ET forum to get better help.  But with logs were can possible see why.

You can search the ET forum also.

Happy2Play

What is playback quality set to?  App settings-Playback

&VideoBitrate=39616001&AudioBitrate=384000

Looks like you are using a WAN (internet) connection is that correct?

Happy2Play

But will guess you should be using your LAN per the first log.  

Also look at App Settings-Audio.