MBT Cannot connect to localhost server

datahedron
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

datahedron

Hello,

I'm running mediabrowser server version 3.0.5395.0, with mediabrowser theater version 3.0.5404.16392, on a windows 8.1 system.

MBS is running fine, and I can navigate to the web interface without any issues. However, when I attempt to log into MBT, I keep getting the error: "Unable to connect to the remote server".

The software was working well last Wednesday, but has since begun throwing this error constantly. I have it set to connect to localhost:8096, with a single administrative user, and no password (it's on my own system, and not configured for remote access). I attempted a full uninstall (clean removal, and reboot), with a reinstall from the website. Having downloaded the new installer, I did a clean reinstall, and now cannot even get past the initial setup wizard. I have attached the setup logs below.

My novice review of the logs, seems to show that the software is posting a GET command, to the remote access server, after it gets the localhost information. I noticed this behavior when I would disable the NIC, and receive an instant login failure. With the NIC enabled, I have a short delay before receiving this error. Screenshot is also attached.

I have checked, and the user has full management access. Please let me know if you need additional user information and/or screenshots.

Is this a glitch with the MBT release version, or is there something else I can do? I would appreciate any suggestions, and will provide additional info if needed.

Thank you very much!

theater-63549249424.txt

post-3727-0-45928300-1413672160_thumb.jpg

datahedron

Wow, nice turnaround time!

Downloaded the installer from the website, installed, and reattempted login. Same behavior and errors are present (new log attached).

Is it possible that I've mis-configured something on the MBS side? This was previously working, and I haven't changed anything on MBS, so it's just a theory that something new in the recent MBT build needs additional attention from MBS. Otherwise, I can't explain why MBT would be running a GET for the remote access IP, after getting a confirmation (code 200), that localhost was validated.

NOTE: as an option, I tried logging into MBT using the computer IP, instead of using localhost; same fault is present.

theater-63549260086.txt

i think because of the previous build you'll have to uninstall completely first to remove saved data

datahedron

Gotcha. Did a complete uninstall, confirmed that all files have been cleared from %appdata%\roaming (no more MBT directory), and reinstalled from the new install .exe.

Setup wizard given localhost:8096, and same user credential. Still no luck - Considering I'm able to log into MBS using the same user credentials (it's the only user on this particular MBS), I can't see how the credentials could be at fault, although I would bow to your expertise if you have any suggestions.

post-3727-0-66414600-1413682840_thumb.jpg

theater-install.log

theater-63549261241.txt

Edited by datahedron

datahedron

Interesting - Did the full uninstall, and confirmed that the MBT directory was gone, as before. Completely rebooted the system, waited for MBS to come online, then reinstalled MBT with the updated installer. Oddly, it failed even before getting to user credentials (screenshot attached). I've dropped the new logs as well.

Verified that MBS was online, and I can navigate my folders normally using the WEB client. Just can't get into MBT. Bleh..

I'm still seeing that hinky-looking GET command in the logs, too.

post-3727-0-35430200-1413687785_thumb.jpg

theater-63549265899.txt

Ok, apologies. i put up another new one. it might still not be fixed but will have more logging for me to diagnose.

datahedron

No sweat - info is key, after all.

Did the same full uninstall dance, reinstalled, the same credentials. Got the connection error again, as in my last post. Logs attached. I'm guessing you triggered debug mode? I'd do it myself, but I can't get to that particular screen if I can't log in. Meh..

On a related note.. insomniac, or just really dedicated to your work? :D

theater-63549268608.txt

techywarrior

On a related note.. insomniac, or just really dedicated to your work? :D

He's actually a robot... this is how SkyNet start.... :P

• Like 1

datahedron

He's actually a robot... this is how SkyNet start.... :P

Aw, drat. Does this mean I have to find a beat up Chevy that gets suspiciously good mileage, and a wisecracking sidekick with a knowledge of technology far beyond his or her years?

I really don't look good in denim. This is gonna suck. :(

datahedron

Ok, apologies. i put up another new one. it might still not be fixed but will have more logging for me to diagnose.

For Luke, whenever he finishes recharging... :D

I checked on MBT this morning, after shutting down the affected system overnight. Same symptoms still persisting.

Out of curiosity, I booted up a second system, which was configured identically to the one I've been beating my head against. It's got the same MBS/MBT setup, is on identical hardware, and began exhibiting the same symptoms in parallel with the one I'm beating up. I haven't done anything to this second system, so I still had logs back to last week. I've attached three log files, in order:

1. Log for right before things went pear-shaped

2. Log for first instance of the anomalous GET command (and related "unable to log in" issue)

3. Log for a boot instance this morning

I noted that log #1 had no indicated attempts to connect to anything other than itself, but log #2 (which was from an instance run less than an hour later), appears identical to the ones that are on my problem child of a system. There were no MBS/MBT configuration changes between these two instances.

Strangely, even though the second system was still running MBT version 3.0.5402.38802, it actually booted successfully this morning (it's been fighting me all weekend, and just decided to work today?). From what I can see in log #3, however, it also implemented a new patch revision. (version 3.0.5405.14450)

Log #3 (the one from this morning), appears to no longer be showing the GET for the remote server, but it's still trying to connect to the remote server, and throwing WebException statements. I will note - I launched this program via the .exe located in %appdata%\roaming\Mediabrowser Theater, rather than just clicking on the desktop shortcut, which brought up the "select-a-server" option. It still walked me to the login screen, but it was able to launch.

Again, I'm not sure what's causing this attempt to connect to a remote system, but with it actually launching itself, that's progress of a sort! :)

Log #1 - theater-63549130666.txt

Log #2 - theater-63549134083.txt

Log #3 - theater-63549304410.txt

datahedron

On a related note, I did the same "clean uninstall, reboot, download new installer, install it.." routine on my problem system, and was able to successfully connect.

There doesn't appear to be anything odd in the log file (attached), and I didn't notice that GET in this clean install. Would a clean reinstall be in order for my currently untouched system?

theater-63549308168.txt

• Solution

yea i think it's fixed now but will require uninstall from machines that were previously affected

• Like 1

datahedron

Looks that way on my end - logs are clean, and everything seems to be behaving normally.

I did note that there is no longer a "Network" option in the settings menu; with no MB configurator since going to MBS3, is there a way to verify that it's using localhost, and not seeking external/remote servers? (also, the taskbar/desktop icon went byebye - it's a blank white page now. OCD sufferers lament the loss..)

Thank you very much for all your hard work!

• 3 months later...
traderman

Hello,

What should I write? where can I find the information?
I can have a hand please?
I would install MBT

Edit: Solved

2z8yxk1.png

Edited by traderman