Album Artists individualized sorting

bigbee13

bigbee13

Hello

Have been using emby for years and have learned so much over that time in setting up and maintaining my media server. I have my movies and tv shows working without problems and since the upgrade decided to add my music. I am halfway there and so far I am a happy camper. My suggestion though is for sorting. When you click Album Artists and then choose an artist,  then choose albums, you have all the albums showing and the options above them to sort. You then have options on how you want to sort, which is great. The issue is however you choose to sort, it is that way for every artist. I would like the option to choose how to sort per artist, especially for various artists and soundtracks. Most of the artists I sort by year anyways so not that big of a deal, however for various artists and soundtracks would be nicer to choose by title. I know I can do this every time that I open that artist however It is a pain to keep switching back and forth especially with a large collection.  Thanks

• Agree 1

On 3/12/2023 at 7:19 AM, bigbee13 said:

Most of the artists I sort by year anyways

Just keep in mind that the flip side of your request is that, if your preference for most artists is different from the default,  you will have to select that every time you enter an artist...

bigbee13
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Just keep in mind that the flip side of your request is that, if your preference for most artists is different from the default,  you will have to select that every time you enter an artist...

I might be misunderstanding this, but is that not what the current option is or are you talking about if you add a new artist to the collection? Currently whatever is chosen to sort by is what every artists albums are sorted by. When I choose the artist and then choose albums if I want them sorted differently I have to choose the new option and then this will change that sort type on every artist. I would like the option to have that sort type stay that way for that specific artist until I decide to change it. 

14 hours ago, bigbee13 said:

I might be misunderstanding this, but is that not what the current option is or are you talking about if you add a new artist to the collection? Currently whatever is chosen to sort by is what every artists albums are sorted by. When I choose the artist and then choose albums if I want them sorted differently I have to choose the new option and then this will change that sort type on every artist. I would like the option to have that sort type stay that way for that specific artist until I decide to change it. 

Right, so lets say you prefer sort by date for most of your artists (just an example) but sort by title for just a couple and that our default is sort by title.  Now you have to go change most of your artists individually to the sort that you want because changing one of them only changes that one - not all.  So, your suggestion here only works well if  you want our default sort for most of your artists. 

• Thanks 1

bigbee13
On 3/14/2023 at 8:13 AM, ebr said:

Right, so lets say you prefer sort by date for most of your artists (just an example) but sort by title for just a couple and that our default is sort by title.  Now you have to go change most of your artists individually to the sort that you want because changing one of them only changes that one - not all.  So, your suggestion here only works well if  you want our default sort for most of your artists. 

No that is not I am wanting,. we currently can change sorting of the albums in a variety of ways including year, title, artist, etc. But when we do this it changes this for all the artists, which is fine, So all the artists are sorted by year and for example I would want to change soundtracks. I switch soundtracks to title and lock that in so it will not change back to year and the rest of the artists stay with sorting by year. 

• Agree 1

So you want to keep the current behavior but have some sort of option to specify on a specific artist to NOT follow that?

bigbee13
12 hours ago, ebr said:

So you want to keep the current behavior but have some sort of option to specify on a specific artist to NOT follow that?

Yes,  that is correct!!

Okay, thanks for the clarification.  We'll keep this request open for further feedback.  IMO that is a much trickier ask because it will not be obvious to the user which items will be affected by the sort change and which will not and we'd have to create some sort of way to change that behavior on each artist.  It all gets quite complicated and confusing pretty quickly.

• Agree 1