Managing AudioBook artwork

GreatFlashMan

GreatFlashMan

Ok, so, exploring audio books, and hit a snag.

For example,

I have an album (collection of books to listen to in sequence) called "Sherlock Holmes Series 1", and this contains 7 books (as in the picture), Each book has it's own cover artwork. but... i cannot find any way to have the artwork for the cover show, it just takes folder.jpg in the root folder of the collection to use for all books.

Is there anyway to remedy this? i can split it up into separate books (individual folders with folder.jpg), but then i cannot put them into the sequence that they are meant to be heard in.

richt

Not sure if this is the best way, but I put the books of one of my collections into separate folders and pre-pended a number to the book title as the folder name. 

01 A Study in Scarlet

Not elegant, but it gave me what I wanted.

GreatFlashMan
5 hours ago, richt said:

Not sure if this is the best way, but I put the books of one of my collections into separate folders and pre-pended a number to the book title as the folder name. 

01 A Study in Scarlet

Not elegant, but it gave me what I wanted.

Yeah. But then you really need them as a Holmes album (collection) and doing that in tags makes them all have the image of the album and not the books. 

richt
17 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

Yeah. But then you really need them as a Holmes album (collection) and doing that in tags makes them all have the image of the album and not the books. 

I have a collection of Nero Wolfe books.  In this collection I just added the image to the book folder.  Each book folders contains separate audio files for each chapter, so this was the most logical (easiest) solution I could think of.  In a couple other collections where there was only one or two files for the audiobook, I embedded the image in the audio file.

image.png.7c13be740f6f4caa926c30d953fe7dfd.png

On 3/10/2023 at 7:35 AM, GreatFlashMan said:

Ok, so, exploring audio books, and hit a snag.

For example,

I have an album (collection of books to listen to in sequence) called "Sherlock Holmes Series 1", and this contains 7 books (as in the picture), Each book has it's own cover artwork. but... i cannot find any way to have the artwork for the cover show, it just takes folder.jpg in the root folder of the collection to use for all books.

Is there anyway to remedy this? i can split it up into separate books (individual folders with folder.jpg), but then i cannot put them into the sequence that they are meant to be heard in.

By seven books, do you mean seven audio files in one folder?

GreatFlashMan
On 13/03/2023 at 01:58, Luke said:

By seven books, do you mean seven audio files in one folder?

As an example, I have a book "album" Lord of the Rings, and in that, the 3 books that make it up,

/Lord of the Rings
         /Fellowship of the Ring
                   Fellowship of the Ring.m4b
                   Folder.jpg
         /The Two Towers
                   The Two Towers.m4b
                   Folder.jpg
         /Return of the King
                   Return of the King.m4b
                   Folder.jpg
        Folder.jpg

automatically, there appears to be no way for the main volume (Lord of the Rings) to have cover artwork, and also the books (as the books are of the Album=Lord of the Rings), the books will all take the artwork from the folder.jpg in the main Lord of the Rings directory, and not their own.
If the Album name of the 3 books was changed to match the book, then this would work, but of course, they would not be part of the collection and also the tags for disc 1, disc 2, and disc 3 would be ignored, meaning the sequence of the books would be broken as well.

Edited by GreatFlashMan

main volume

In Emby server there's no such thing as the "main volume". it's just a folder in folder view, and that should pick up and utilize your folder.jpg.

and also the books (as the books are of the Album=Lord of the Rings), the books will all take the artwork from the folder.jpg in the main Lord of the Rings directory, and not their own.

That's surprising. Are you able to reproduce this now?

Happy2Play

I still don't really follow folder image per folder level.  Library set to Perfect Artist\Album

• AudioBooks library folder
    • Author
      • Album
        • Book 1
          • book files
          • folder.jpg
        • Book 2
          • book files
          • folder.jpg
        • Book 3
          • book files
          • folder.jpg
      • folder.jpg
    • folder.jpg

Folder view

image.png.5e463b0594d0cdae7d10e9ec64ec3931.png       image.png.f7fee2c75083d20128be4fa1ae2dd751.pngimage.png.122d396314b67176900a2cacbea33e0a.png

Author view as there is no Album view

image.thumb.png.834a389b67e90a1715c515d136f4a173.png

Edited by Happy2Play

48 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I still don't really follow folder image per folder level.  Library set to Perfect Artist\Album

• Author
      • Album
        • Book 1
          • book files
          • folder.jpg
        • Book 2
          • book files
          • folder.jpg
        • Book 3
          • book files
          • folder.jpg
      • folder.jpg
    • folder.jpg

Folder view

48 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

image.thumb.png.834a389b67e90a1715c515d136f4a173.png

Are you lying to the server about your folder structure? You have an extra layer underneath the album folder. That will likely cause problems.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you lying to the server about your folder structure? You have an extra layer underneath the album folder. That will likely cause problems.

I guess so.  But Books shows the books and folder view shows the expected images per folder.

But that is how all my test audio books are organized.  Per tabs one layer is lost and only visible in folder view.  But will guess it can vary as tagging is a variable.

image.png.66ada4f417e2016064fbaa01a2dcf360.png

But yes odd structure can cause issues saving at the wrong level or just dump into /metadata/musicartist as shown in the J.K. Rowling images above.

• Thanks 1

GreatFlashMan
On 14/03/2023 at 19:38, Happy2Play said:
    • Author
      • Album
        • Book 1
          • book files
          • folder.jpg
        • Book 2
          • book files
          • folder.jpg
        • Book 3
          • book files
          • folder.jpg
      • folder.jpg
    • folder.jpg

Folder view

I am going to try naming like you have here, and see what happens.

GreatFlashMan

Yes, it does work, though only from Folder view, would be nice if there was a way to organise books so that in the book/author view they were arranged in a better order.

Also, would be nice not to display "Songs" in the book view.

2 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

Yes, it does work, though only from Folder view, would be nice if there was a way to organise books so that in the book/author view they were arranged in a better order.

Also, would be nice not to display "Songs" in the book view.

Are you saying you followed his advice and did the Book 1, Book 2 subfolders? Or what exactly did you do?

GreatFlashMan
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you saying you followed his advice and did the Book 1, Book 2 subfolders? Or what exactly did you do?

Exactly as Happy2Play has his. It works, it's a compromise, but much better than trying to do it using meta alone. As I say, it's just a shame you have to go to folders to see as book 1,2,3 etc.

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

As I say, it's just a shame you have to go to folders to see as book 1,2,3 etc.

What do you see?  But since tabs are embedded metadata driven it could be the case.  This 17 chapter book appear in both those Artists as shown above for J.K. Rowling.

image.png.4afa615a5e15a88b3c2a8cc0cd89e633.png

image.png.4e787c81fcbb808bb51f294ed43fc05e.png

Junglejim

I use embedded tags (including images) to drive audiobooks and it seem to workout ok for me.

All of my audiobook are .m4b so there's usually only 1 track (they have embedded chapter info but emby only picks that up when you play).

I guess it's all about how you use the tags to your advantage, I'll give you a example of harry potter (Artist/Album/Track)..

Screenshot_2023-03-24_18-31-14.thumb.png.7a98ed37a75094301319bb53a30204be.png

Obviously the Artist and album folders have to be named exactly as in the tags..

Artist view..

Screenshot_2023-03-24_18-35-41.thumb.png.ceb0973dd540bfb07588448d121f1ecd.png

Screenshot_2023-03-24_18-44-46.thumb.png.2fa3401ff7281c80db65122c723e1a5e.png

Folder view...

Screenshot_2023-03-24_18-38-21.thumb.png.b12685648839f3a2520bf47db437cca1.png

Also here is a audiobook .m4b with multiple tracks..

Screenshot_2023-03-24_18-41-00.thumb.png.0778ac09464f841910d4ca7a6426b04d.png

Folder view...

Screenshot_2023-03-24_19-08-42.thumb.png.60bf825943cad35a851517574cf5cacf.png

It can be a bit time consuming to get it to the way you like it. ;)

Edited by Junglejim
  • Agree 1

Junglejim

Another trick that I use to get the books ordered by name in the Artist/Author view that I forgot to mention above is the year tag.

If you give all the audiobooks in the series the same year they will display by name (harry potter (1), harry potter (2)..). Not Ideal but it works.

Here is another example of that, as you can see they all have the year tag (2003)..

Screenshot_2023-03-25_14-08-18.thumb.png.d43c14279e5b99b2ef7409e745e1df7d.png

Screenshot_2023-03-25_14-08-48.thumb.png.ea0abe95ad3211d6b9b593f4aa220196.png

Edited by Junglejim

GreatFlashMan
7 hours ago, Junglejim said:

If you give all the audiobooks in the series the same year they will display by name (harry potter (1), harry potter (2)..). Not Ideal but it works

That's far from ideal tbh. I have it working fine, but only via Folder. What I want is to be able to click on a book in book view and it to list all the books in the series in order rather than needing to find the author in the folder view. So, unlike what it does now. Clicking on a game of thrones book will show "more by", but what would be nice is for the game of thrones book series to be displayed matching the book i clicked on (if that makes any sense). Now, this is not enough for a "feature request" as there is far more important things the server needs, but... some day down the line - it would be well received. 

this is in folder view.

image.thumb.png.dff3fff11175cb9567b4843fbda23998.png

and this is how it looks when click one of the books in the book view.

image.thumb.png.a03795fbc54e3a786dfd5bf1dbbec876.png

• Agree 1