XBMB3C with SPMC?

arztonyou

arztonyou

Hello,

I've been using the XBMB3C addon with Gotham builds on multiple devices and really love it!!!  So first of all, thank you so much for all the hard work in making this work so well.

I've heard that many users of the Amazon FireTV get better performance from using the SPMC fork of XBMC from XBMC team member Koying.  This is the build that is available on the Amazon and Google Play app stores.  I was just curious if anyone was running the XBMB3C addon with SPMC or if any of the contributors to this addon had ever done any testing of the addon with SPMC?

Thanks.

boywhosetsfire

Yes, I'm running XBMB3C on a FireTV for 3 weeks now. After I observed some video stuttering with XBMC I'm trying SPMC now, no long-term-experience so far. But the minor problems I have are limited to XBMC/SPMC, XBMB3C itself is running fine on both of them. It's not the fastest device to handle the JSON-data it gets from the API, but it's still acceptable. It's a nice, small and silent device which doesn't consume too much energy. Overall I'm happy with it and already ordered a second one.

arztonyou

Thanks for the information.  So do you find the experience with SPMC to be superior to using Gotham/Helix?  Any particular advantages or disadvantages to using SPMC?  Also, what issues with SPMC/XBMC are you experiencing?

boywhosetsfire

There is no huge difference between regular XBMC and SPMC. The main issues I observed with XBMC were some stuttering videos or audio and video became out of sync. Since I'm just running SPMC for a few days now I'm not sure if it's completely solved, but at least the videos where I could reproduce the problems are working fine now. I don't see any disadvantages from using SPMC so far. But I still would recommend to use the official XBMC, from what I've read it seems to work fine for other people. Probably it depends one the codecs the videos are using. Switching to SPMC isn't much work if you also observe problems. You can even install both versions in parallel.