Creation of sub categories in the library

pünktchen

pünktchen

Like the title explains, i wish we could create categories/subfolders (not a real path) under the mediafolders in the library manager.

Why? To have a clean and simple starting view (overview). I know there is a folder view, but that is not the same.

Also there are no items for recently added, genre, last played...

With categories/virtual subfolders you could create something like this:

Movies ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> All latest added movies

- Kids Movies ------------------> Latest added movies by subcategory                                                   -> Genre of All movies

- Classic Movies                           -> Genre by subcategory                                                                             -> People of All movies

- Hitchcock Movies                      -> People by subcategory                                                                           -> ...

- Adult Movies                               -> ...

- Modern Movies

Series

- TV Shows

- Documentarys

- Anime

Audio

- Music (Artists/Bands)

- Soundtracks

- Audiobooks

Edited by pünktchen
  • Like 2

techywarrior

You could create custom collections. It may not be super easy and you'd have to update them manually but you could get what you want with it.

pünktchen

Custom collections and custom genres are only bad workarounds. You have to do it manual for over 1000 items.

After that the right category you are looking for is somewhere between 100 other collections/genres.

Also creating collections with other collections in it seems to be broken.

pünktchen

I edited the starting post, because also i'm not real happy with the presentation of sub views like genre, people etc.

techywarrior... could you expand a bit on custom collections and how that works (or point me to a thread)?  I have wanted something similar to what the OP here described.  I like my big folders, but I'd also like to have subset of these movies somewhere else.  I might want to see all of my Marvel superhero movies or all of my Criterion collection or all of my foreign flicks.  These are all personal categories and I see myself creating them.  Just to be clear, I don't want to remove my Criterions from my big movie folder. but it'd be cool to have a Criterion Collections item where these movies are listed again, kind of like how favorites works.

techywarrior

In the web client go to the Movies library then click on the Collections tab at the top. Next to the pagination is a + button. Click that to create a new collection. That will create a new collection and take you to it's page. Click the ... and select Edit. On the Meta Data Manager page click on the Titles tab and then add movies to the collection. You can also upload custom images to use for the poster, backdrop etc.

• Like 1

I ended up doing this through the Dashboard.  The clicks are not that obvious, but after a little bit of playing I was able to manage Collection content effectively.  While the process is not that intuitive and the selection of movies to add to a collection involves a small bit of typing (e.g. type "Iron" to find all of your "Iron Man" titles), I think that this method is actually pretty good.  "Bad workaround" perhaps in that it takes a bit more effort than most MB3 tasks, but I think the end result is pretty slick.  I created a Marvel Cinematic Universe collection and a Foreign Language collection that made me pretty happy.  The hard part was deciding what art to add to these collections.

Any suggestions for a Foreign Language poster?

• 2 years later...

You can try out audio book support in the latest beta release of Emby Server. Simply create a library using the Books content type. Once scanned in you can play and resume just like you would expect with audio books. Please try it out and give us your feedback, we're listening. Thanks !

• 6 years later...
Multiverse

+1 for getting this!

For me it is a PITA to scroll though my nearly 500 libraries with a better sub structure ...