Can't connect to server "Hostname not recognized" error

SikSlayer
Go to solution Solved by 7illusions,

SikSlayer

I'm running v2.20.123, but it can't connect to the server, I get the "Hostname not recognized" error. I'm running server version 3.0.5400.37910, in the dev (unstable) branch.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

I didn't change anything, it was usually the IP and the default port number.

• 3 weeks later...
Cheesegeezer

Hey 7, just bought this last night for my new 8.1 setup. I'm receiving the exact same error. I've tried to type in localhost, 127.0.0.1 and server IP to no availability. I dont know which version i'm running as its not displayed yet and cant find exe to show product version.

Can you tell me where the install Dir is please.

Also where your log files are kept. I'll post up logs for you later.

Cheers

Edited by Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer

:rolleyes: a bit embarrased about that, Cheers for the heads up. I'll check it out tonight. ;)

saitoh183

Cheese, the forum is your friend. :)

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/4360-howto-runnning-server-and-app-on-the-same-machine/

As for the logs, bring out the charms-menu, click settings, View logs, select one of your choice. ;)

I had this already configured and it worked in the previous version. Now with the new version, i cant connect when im not on a network(no internet). My mbs is running on my tablet, i can use it via the browser but in the client, i cant connect. I tried entering localhost with port like i used to and nothing.I also tried 127.0.0.1... but the connection works as soon as its on the network. I hope this is a bug and not the intent because this application will have lost its usefulness.

Edited by saitoh183

7illusions

Unfortunately this was by design. We missed the usecase where a local server is used. I will try to fix this asap.

@@Luke I guess connectionManager.Connect will have to skip the Network availability if the server is localhost/127.0.0.1

saitoh183

Unfortunately this was by design. We missed the usecase where a local server is used. I will try to fix this asap.

@@Luke I guess connectionManager.Connect will have to skip the Network availability if the server is localhost/127.0.0.1

Looking forward to it :)

Update to the latest version 3.0.0.151 now I get a "host name not recognized" error where before the update it was working fine.

I'm running MBS on server 2008 R2 separately I have a static ip and a dedicated domain I have tried local host, domain name server ip etc. all of which worked in the older version

My wp 8.1 phone connects without a problem and the browser works as well Classic works on the same machine as the app.

help if you could please

gthrift

Update to the latest version 3.0.0.151 now I get a "host name not recognized" error where before the update it was working fine.

I'm running MBS on server 2008 R2 separately I have a static ip and a dedicated domain I have tried local host, domain name server ip etc. all of which worked in the older version

My wp 8.1 phone connects without a problem and the browser works as well Classic works on the same machine as the app.

help if you could please

I'm getting the same issue.  I'm on a remote network.  Can't connect using domain name or ip address.

7illusions

How's your setup? you run MBS on a 2008 R2 machie, where do you run the app? Device in LAN or WAN?

MBS is running on server 2008 R2 the app is running on my tablet windows 8.1 pro with windows media center.

The app doesn't detect any servers I’ve tried manually entering and using the server name, IP address, and local host. With no success.

I can see the web browser locally (LAN) and externally (WAN)

I’ve installed media browser classic on the same tablet and it connects without a problem

My windows phone connects without a problem.

It’s just the app for the last couple of updates stopped detecting the server and started giving me an error of "host name not recognized. Please check the name and try again". All previous versions worked fine.

I have also tried with the firewall disabled.

I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it.

Same error message every time.

All other devices connect using the server name, IP address, localhost, or the domain name without a problem.

fuzzy11287

Issue just popped up for me recently as well. Uninstalled/reinstalled the app about 5 minutes ago and it still won't connect.

Running the app on the same machine as the server with the loopback fix enabled.

saitoh183

i havent had time to check yet

Reinstalled, Disabled and re-enabled loopback fix, disabled network to test local and still cant connect. When there is a network, and i input 127.0.0.1 and the port, it will connect to my other server on my network.