Pause shortly after startup

PristDean

PristDean

Hi

No matter what setting I select....'Fast'....'Normal'    or 'slow', the live TV stream pauses after an initial five seconds of play for about three seconds before resuming play.

My setup using an Nvisia Shield (client & server) along with an HD Homerun Quattro all connected on the same LAN

Any settings I missing or any ideas anyone ?

Thanks

Sammy

This is normal while it buffers the pause buffer. I think that if you set it for direct play it won't do this but you also cannot pause, rewind or fast forward.

PristDean

Yep, I've tried direct play and as you say it will not then allow you pause and rewind etc, so not a solution. As for it being 'normal' it's not something that I have seen with other solutions such as Plex & Channels, so I am assuming that this something Emby could improve on, unless a setting can resolve it I have missed?

PristDean

Hi, Just tried it

Yes, this does resolve the buffering of a channel during startup. some feedback:

The Live TV guide appears to be shown in a large layout with large gaps between the channel number and channel graphic. There are 3 options to change this display but none of them change the display to be more compact,

Pressing the 'Back' button on the Shield remote (when attempting to exit the app) takes you into a settings menu, from there it's four more clicks to select 'Exit'. This compares to one click on the beta version. The way around  this is to press the 'Home' button on the remote to exit instantly... i'll have to retrain the boss !

Randomly some channels load with no sound, but go back to that channel thirty seconds later and it has sound. ITV HD is an example. I'l let you know if this continues

Do you know why this 'official' version is not available on G Store on Nvidia Shield ?

I'll run with this and see how things go. Appreciate the pointer to this version 'ebr' (chief bottle washer & Emby Guru)

34 minutes ago, PristDean said:

Yes, this does resolve the buffering of a channel during startup

Oh, wait - I just realized, this is direct- playing too.  You can't pause or rewind, correct?

Sammy

I do not like the appearance of the standard Android app on AndroidTV devices so I don't use it. When it is updated to have a better appearance more suited to the 10 foot interface, I may try it again.

• Agree 1

PristDean
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Oh, wait - I just realized, this is direct- playing too.  You can't pause or rewind, correct?

Funny you should say that, just finding that out. I can pause and resume, but not rewind at all.  There is a setting for direct play in the Beta version, is there is there as setting to transcode in this version ?

Edited by PristDean

PristDean

Okay then..... it amazes me that the standard application appears to be more bug ridden and not as appealing as the Beta version which is readily available on the G Store via NVidia Shield.

So, back to the Beta version and square 1.  @ebr can you please explain the situation i (and potentially others) appear to be experiencing ?

2 hours ago, PristDean said:

can you please explain the situation i (and potentially others) appear to be experiencing ?

Hi.  What would you like explained?

PristDean
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What would you like explained?

To be clear,

1. Why the 'Standard' version is so markedly different from the Beta in appearance and functionality(ie. Guide UI, Settings, back button brings up settings menu etc?

2. Why the 'Standard' carries the major (in my view) bug of not being able to rewind, it just direct plays. Yet the the playback progress bar is there  ?

3. Why is the 'Standard' not available on G Store via NVidia shield but the Beta is ? 

4. How long has the 'Beta' version been available and how long has that 'Standard' version been available in the versions and states they are in ?

5. Why is it not the other way around, i.e the 'Standard' version is available via G Store but the beta should be side loaded if a customer wishes to test ?

2 minutes ago, PristDean said:

Why is the 'Standard' not available on G Store via NVidia shield but the Beta is ?

First some clarification - the version you installed from the store is not beta.  It is the full release version of our TV-only Android app.  There is quite a bit of discussion around the forum about this already but we are working towards only having a single app for all Android devices instead of one for mobile (what you are calling "standard") and one for TV devices (what you are calling "beta" but is not beta).  We just haven't fully-arrived there yet so most are still using the TV version but side-load the other one for testing and helping to refine it.

Does that clear it up?

PristDean
58 minutes ago, ebr said:

First some clarification - the version you installed from the store is not beta.  It is the full release version of our TV-only Android app.  There is quite a bit of discussion around the forum about this already but we are working towards only having a single app for all Android devices instead of one for mobile (what you are calling "standard") and one for TV devices (what you are calling "beta" but is not beta).  We just haven't fully-arrived there yet so most are still using the TV version but side-load the other one for testing and helping to refine it.

Does that clear it up?

Hi

As I clearly have an NVidia Shield and mentioned at the start, why have you directed me to a 'Mobile' app which you described as 'Standard' ?

The app on the G Store within NVidia is Beta, there is no other, pics attached

All in all this unclear and confusing.

Emby1.jpg

Emby2.jpg

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, PristDean said:

The app on the G Store within NVidia is Beta, there is no other, pics attached

Because you specifically opted-in for Beta program (or sideloaded beta), you're getting beta version. If you haven't, you'd be getting release version. 

7 minutes ago, PristDean said:

As I clearly have an NVidia Shield and mentioned at the start, why have you directed me to a 'Mobile' app which you described as 'Standard' ?

Because standard Android app will supersede current AndroidTV app (release or beta version, makes no difference) in undetermined future. Standard app works both on Android and AndroidTV devices and has UI to match accordingly. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

PristDean
29 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Because you specifically opted-in for Beta program (or sideloaded beta), you're getting beta version. If you haven't, you'd be getting release version. 

Because standard Android app will supersede current AndroidTV app (release or beta version, makes no difference) in undetermined future. Standard app works both on Android and AndroidTV devices and has UI to match accordingly. 

As for opting onto Beta, I likely did this a good while ago before I moved to 'Channels'. Now I am trying Emby again, why is it I only see the Beta version when searching ?

Can I get off of the Beta testing ?..... however not if this leaves me with the 'Standard' / 'Mobile' version as it appears not fully functional

So the 'Standard' or 'Mobile' app, which apparently works on both (not tried on a mobile), is very different and shows some mobile characteristics, such as when you press the back button to exit and a small menu pops up mid screen (Nvidia Shield). All in all this version is not usable in my view, and as the view of someone else above.

What's the goal...... are you planning on ending up with one application which resembles the Beta or Standard / Mobile version?.  You mention "in undetermined future". But as this is likely a project you have underway, what are the timelines and how long has this going on for ?  Just to set customer expectations here !

Edited by PristDean

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, PristDean said:

Now I am trying Emby again, why is it I only see the Beta version when searching ?

30 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Because you specifically opted-in for Beta program

14 minutes ago, PristDean said:

Can I get off of the Beta testing ?

Leave the Beta program. 

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/tv.emby.embyatv

15 minutes ago, PristDean said:

not if this leaves me with the 'Standard' / 'Mobile' version as it appears not fully functional

It will not, you'll just get Release version of AndroidTV app. 

16 minutes ago, PristDean said:

So the 'Standard' or 'Mobile' app, which apparently works on both (not tried on a mobile), is very different and shows some mobile characteristics, such as when you press the back button to exit and a small menu pops up mid screen (Nvidia Shield). All in all this version is not usable in my view, and as the view of someone else above.

You are not alone in those views, you can contribute to the existing discussion:

17 minutes ago, PristDean said:

What's the goal...... are you planning on ending up with one application which resembles the Beta or Standard / Mobile version?

Standard version. 

18 minutes ago, PristDean said:

You mention "in undetermined future". But as this is likely a project you have underway, what are the timelines and how long has this going on for ?

Unclear at this point. It's been going for some time. 

13 hours ago, PristDean said:

5. Why is it not the other way around, i.e the 'Standard' version is available via G Store but the beta should be side loaded if a customer wishes to test ?

Because that's how we started several years ago. But ultimately the standard app will be in the store as well for TV devices.

13 hours ago, PristDean said:

To be clear,

2. Why the 'Standard' carries the major (in my view) bug of not being able to rewind, it just direct plays. Yet the the playback progress bar is there  ?

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

PristDean

I'm now on the 'Android TV' version which appears to be exactly the same as the 'Android TV Beta' version, which is to be expected.

The 'Standard / Mobile' version though is obviously different, I will need to install it again to test.

Final question if I may:  We appear to have three versions in play here,  'Android TV' , 'Android TV Beta' , 'Standard / Mobile'.  Is that correct ?

5 hours ago, PristDean said:

Final question if I may:  We appear to have three versions in play here,  'Android TV' , 'Android TV Beta' , 'Standard / Mobile'.  Is that correct ?

Hi.  There are actually beta versions of both apps.  Your confusion came from the fact you were previously enrolled in the Google beta program so the only version of the TV app you saw was the beta.

PristDean
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  There are actually beta versions of both apps.  Your confusion came from the fact you were previously enrolled in the Google beta program so the only version of the TV app you saw was the beta.

Thanks @ebr  all squared up now. I'm watching the thread listed above by the Mod with 79 issues listed. Will post in there if I find anything in addition to that list. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sammy
On 3/3/2023 at 8:39 PM, Luke said:

Because that's how we started several years ago. But ultimately the standard app will be in the store as well for TV devices.

Hopefully it'll be like the AndroidTV app because the standard app looks horrible on a TV. Just saying.. BTW quite a few apps have different versions for Android and AndroidTV..

5 hours ago, Sammy said:

Hopefully it'll be like the AndroidTV app because the standard app looks horrible on a TV. Just saying.. BTW quite a few apps have different versions for Android and AndroidTV..

Why do you think it looks horrible?