Live TV Closed Captions

TXK57
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Is there a way to default closed captions off on live tv? For some reason it always defaults to on when entering the stream. Even if i turn them off exit and re-enter stream they come back on.

Subtitles were set to only forced and remember track selection. However, I had it set as any language. When I forced this to English it fixed it.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
tattler

Hi I have the same issue. I have set my subtitle preference to Always play subtitles. Whenever I start a stream in LiveTV, sometimes the stream will get subtitles burned in during transcoding. This caused the initial loading of the stream to buffer longer than content without any subtitles. This is due to the fact that some of the HD content has subtitles or closed captions. And sometimes I see two subtitles: one normal subtitle and the other is closed captions. When I turned off the subtitle directly in OSD the stream direct played!

What I would like to see is to have a separate option in the Subtitle section to set the subtitle mode for Live TV. This way I have more granular control of the subtitles for both Live TV and local contents (movies and tv shows). Is this doable?

I run Tizen emby app version 1.6.7. I would personally love this feature to be implemented to save me (and probably others) from headaches playing HD VOD Live TV contents. We all know too well that subtitles can cause havoc with our viewing experience if not correctly configured! 😉

I served up the LiveTV content by using an xteve fork: threadfin. It works much better this way than using the M3U tuner as the content will be transcoded by threadfin before sending the stream to Emby.

Edited by tattler
  • Thanks 1

tattler

Hi @Lukeis it technically possible to add an extra subtitle option for Live TV? When I checked the streaming URL I can see LiveTV in it so it should be possible to identify the LiveTV stream and enforce some policies on it. Thank you.

On 11/30/2023 at 2:47 AM, tattler said:

Hi @Lukeis it technically possible to add an extra subtitle option for Live TV? When I checked the streaming URL I can see LiveTV in it so it should be possible to identify the LiveTV stream and enforce some policies on it. Thank you.

Hi, yes it is possible.

tattler

Thanks Luke! Will it be implemented in version 4.8 or later? 😉 I am sure your gonna make a lot of ppl happy, incl me 😉 

• 2 weeks later...
tattler

I solved the subtitle woes in LiveTV by using tvheadend's stream filters. These are my configurations. Hope this will help other people in this forum when their stream seems to load forever caused by "bad subtitles" being loaded: teletext, dvbsub or textsub.

image.thumb.png.7ff9b60aa84678d25ca29bc54b5d6776.png

image.thumb.png.7ba73aa8673dd45c1f4fee6cef38bd05.png

tvheadend is better than threadfin (forked of xteve) in my opinion. Pair it with a good EPG and stream it via Emby's LiveTV feature and you get a whole new experience! Switching through  channels is effortless! Really cool 😉

• 2 weeks later...
jdazzle44
On 12/15/2023 at 2:53 PM, tattler said:

I solved the subtitle woes in LiveTV by using tvheadend's stream filters. These are my configurations. Hope this will help other people in this forum when their stream seems to load forever caused by "bad subtitles" being loaded: teletext, dvbsub or textsub.

image.thumb.png.7ff9b60aa84678d25ca29bc54b5d6776.png

image.thumb.png.7ba73aa8673dd45c1f4fee6cef38bd05.png

tvheadend is better than threadfin (forked of xteve) in my opinion. Pair it with a good EPG and stream it via Emby's LiveTV feature and you get a whole new experience! Switching through  channels is effortless! Really cool 😉

Are you using tv headend plugin inn emby or just the playlist?

tattler
22 hours ago, jdazzle44 said:

Are you using tv headend plugin inn emby or just the playlist?

I'm using the tvheadend plugin from Emby. 

• 1 month later...
seashell

Just getting started with live TV and I agree a setting for closed captions specific to it would be nice.  In my media I set the default flag on the subtitle stream I want to play by default if any, so I don't want to change to "smart" everywhere and effectively lose those settings.  (There are files with multiple subtitles in English.  Forced, dialogue, SDH, etc.  The default flag is how I set my preference for those.)  But live TV flags CC as default in every stream so it they come on every time.  And I can't go edit the flags on every live stream.

• Thanks 1