Can't Connect to Server Anymore

Barbablanca
Go to solution Solved by Barbablanca,

Barbablanca

Don't know what happened, but I can't connect to Emby Server with my Android devices anymore. Tried re-installing the app on my phone, but no luck.

Barbablanca

The android client just defaults to the screen offering to connect to server/sign in with Emby Connect/connect to downloads Screenshot_20230216_214105_Emby.thumb.jpg.dbb5806d86c69bdf12fd2e4d715f6b2f.jpg

KenLinder

I have this problem too. The android app can't find my PC's EMBY server automatically (it used to) and it won't connect to it using the IP address and port # either.

It was fine. Now it isn't. I rebooted the droids and the PC (nope). I reinstalled the droid app (nope). I uninstalled EMBY on the PC entirely, rebooted, and reinstalled from scratch (nope - didn't help). I tried setting up a new connection to the PC EMBY server via it's IP address and I doesn't work.

I have no idea what the hell is happening. It's only the server on this one PC. The server running on the other PC is found by the droid(s) just fine.

KenLinder

I changed no port info on ports previous to the problem. After the problem I checked the knowledge base. There was a recommendation to create an Inbound rule for Windows Firewall for ports 8096 and 8920. There's already a private inbound rule in place for ALL ports, but what the hell I added one. Nothing changed, not even after rebooting.

pwhodges

Can you connect OK from the PC running this server itself?  If so, then the server is running OK and the firewall (most likely) is blocking it.  

Have you checked that the interface is in private mode (for which you made the firewall settings)?  To sidestep that issue for an initial test, I would test the firewall first by turning it off completely. 

Paul

KenLinder

It's fixed.

There were a number of disabled inbound rules (I assume EMBY created them) which were set up to permit UDP and TCP on all ports for "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll"

I enabled them. Now my android DNS explorer app can see the media server and (more importantly) the android app and the TV app work fine.

So it was a mysterious change to the the firewall. More windows bullshit. Gotta love those flaky operating systems. Somebody ought to take note of this problem. If it happened once it will happen again. An um, this is a setting that EMBY server could be checking for all by itself when the server reboots (and it could fix those entries on the fly when it reboots the server too).

Edited by KenLinder
  • Thanks 1

Barbablanca

FWIW the target isn't an EmbyServer.dll, but EmbyServer.exe : C:\users\alvin\appdata\roaming\emby-server\system\embyserver.exe

Screenshot01.jpg

Barbablanca

Update: Disabled all references to Emby on the firewall and no change. The system was designed to play trailers before movies and fails to do that as well now. The firewall definitely seems to be the point of failure.

• 3 weeks later...
Barbablanca

Nope, still deadlocked. It's annoying to have a wealth of media but no way to remotely access it with my phone or tablet 🙄🙄

Happy2Play
27 minutes ago, Barbablanca said:

Nope, still deadlocked. It's annoying to have a wealth of media but no way to remotely access it with my phone or tablet 🙄🙄

I would delete the Emby firewall rules, shutdown Emby.

Go to the system.xml (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\system.xml)

Change <IsPortAuthorized>true</IsPortAuthorized> to false and save.

Start Emby

Also what is your "network status" Private or Public?

• Like 1

Barbablanca

I deleted all references to Emby in the firewall, changed the "PortAuthorized" status and rebooted. When the command processor comes up asking if I want to allow public access, I canceled that. Still no change.

seanbuff
12 minutes ago, Barbablanca said:

When the command processor comes up asking if I want to allow public access, I canceled that. Still no change.

What you mean by you cancelled that? Did you at least check the box for 'Private' ?

Also...

4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Also what is your "network status" Private or Public?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Barbablanca said:

Where do I find what my network status is?

Click the Windows Key and search network status or right click the network icon in task bar.

Happy2Play

Not sure why a VPN should be affecting your LAN though.  Does your dashboard LAN address change to your VPN address?

Might need to see a server log from startup to see network detection.

seanbuff
19 hours ago, Barbablanca said:

I deleted all references to Emby in the firewall, changed the "PortAuthorized" status and rebooted. When the command processor comes up asking if I want to allow public access, I canceled that. Still no change.

I'm still a bit confused about what happened after this. You say you deleted all references to Emby in the firewall, reset Emby's <IsPortAuthorized> flag and then you cancelled this popup:
image.png.1f0e0d7ccd49ec1dbe50a2f2f8c634db.png

Is that correct? You need to allow Emby to listen on at least Private or Public depending on your current network profile.

So what do you currently see in your Windows Firewall? Click [Start] and type "Allow app"
image.png.f2754dfde7fb9474fc62875d2f2a67b6.png

You should see two references to Emby Server -- both should be ticked (on the left), and enabled for either Private or Public (or both)

image.png.ceeab7d9aaf9fa6975bb2bdf6e4a7635.png

• Agree 1

seanbuff

And have you confirmed your current Network Profile?

image.png.dfd7c5c24c4f916b0aa6582d38b16a1a.png

image.png.b37d743dd84c8b835c8e3bc627f54145.png

Public or Private?