Does Emby have servers overseas?

gene0915

gene0915

Probably a script kiddie or just scanners scanning things but, I spotted these incoming connections in Untangle and wanted to know if Emby had servers over in the Netherlands or Belgium because nobody I know streams from there. If not, time for some geo blocking! :) 

image.png.9663fe9e646ff627a657d5c12415eb56.png

pwhodges

Emby does not run streaming servers anywhere; they provide software for individuals to run their own streaming servers at home. 

But as a lot of people are running Emby servers, there are people scanning for them on the default port of 8096.  Normal login security is enough to keep most systems safe.

Paul

sross44

One of the @Adminteam or support staff can correct if I’m wrong, but Emby doesn’t have any servers that would do this. Everything is directly tied to your server. I’ve had this before, where someone figured out my server domain and tried logging in. 

gene0915
10 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Emby does not run streaming servers anywhere; they provide software for individuals to run their own streaming servers at home. 

But as a lot of people are running Emby servers, there are people scanning for them on the default port of 8096.  Normal login security is enough to keep most systems safe.

Paul

The Threat Prevention module nuked it but was just wondering. Thanks for the reply!

10 minutes ago, sross44 said:

One of the @Adminteam or support staff can correct if I’m wrong, but Emby doesn’t have any servers that would do this. Everything is directly tied to your server. I’ve had this before, where someone figured out my server domain and tried logging in. 

I was thinking maybe some telemetry stuff was going on. Time to enable some geo blocking rules. :)

• Thanks 1