VPN help with firewall needed

riverboat2001
Go to solution Solved by riverboat2001,

riverboat2001

Starlink and it's CGnat !

I have a subscription to Pure vpn, and have a dedicated ip address, and have opened ports 8096 and 8920

I have a couple of problems, and I've spent all day trying to get it to work.

1/ Purevpn doesn't automatically connect to my dedicated ip. It picks a random UK based ip, and obviously this tries to create a new Firewall  entry, and Emby reports that as the ip address for external connections. So i have to stop Emby, go into Purevpn settings and connect to my dedicated ip address. The restart Emby, which then has a matching ip address to Purevpn.

2/ If public firewall is enabled canyouseeme.org on port 8096 fails

If public firewall is DISabled canyouseeme.org Succeeds, then all my remote devices can connect.

The PC is Win10 whose sole job is Emby server and media storage.

riverboat2001
24 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Hi there. Is there a question somewhere between all the statements? 

Haha, sorry, been at this for 8 hours.

1. Can I delay the start of Emby by 60 seconds or so?

2. If I have the firewall on my router do i have to enable the public firewall. bearing this pc isn't used to surf the web, receive emails etc

as this maybe the only way to solve the problem

PureVPn are currently working on the automatically connecting to the dedicated ip issue.

Starlink is becoming the go-to for areas with no internet but it comes with a cgnat. 

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, riverboat2001 said:

The PC is Win10 whose sole job is Emby server and media storage

13 minutes ago, riverboat2001 said:

1. Can I delay the start of Emby by 60 seconds or so?

Not within Emby but number of programs available for the same purpose.

13 minutes ago, riverboat2001 said:

2. If I have the firewall on my router do i have to enable the public firewall. bearing this pc isn't used to surf the web, receive emails etc

as this maybe the only way to solve the problem

PureVPn are currently working on the automatically connecting to the dedicated ip issue.

Not quite following there, how are you connecting to PureVPN servers - via router VPN configuration or by using dedicated client app on your server machine?

16 minutes ago, riverboat2001 said:

Starlink is becoming the go-to for areas with no internet but it comes with a cgnat. 

Some alternatives to access behind CGNAT:

• Like 1

riverboat2001

Excellent, the help with delaying the start of Emby, that will solve at least one of the issues.

Okay remote access works fine with the two caveats

1..vpn program must start before Emby. Then Emby will have the correct ip address for me to connect remotely

(the vpn allows me to open ports 8096 and 8920

2. I can only "get through" to Emby if I have the windows 10 public firewall disabled.

I have my router firewall on. What I'm asking is that as this pc's only use is to serve out media, is the windows public firewall needed.

I will indeed be reading all the helpful posts that you have linked to, having been at this for over 8 hours today, i am going to take a break from it

Just now, riverboat2001 said:

2. I can only "get through" to Emby if I have the windows 10 public firewall disabled.

That would indicate the proper port(s) weren't opened properly.

What's a bit confusing but already asked is how you connect to PureVPN. If it's software on the server the firewall ports wouldn't need to be open.

If PureVPN is connected to via your router, then the local machine firewall would come into play just as if no VPN is running at all.

• Agree 1

• Solution
riverboat2001

I've solved the issue that was stopping the connection between Emby server and the web.

Somehow the embyserver.exe was ticked in the firewall settings for private networks only.

But when I start the pure vpn program, it identifies as a public network.

So I have the main "Emby side" of things working.

The final two issues I'm working on is (with support from Purevpn) that when the PC reboots, Purevpn, starts and assigns a random ip adress (which Emby then reports as the remote WAN access ip address) but obviously it changes each time. So their tech support is trying to get Purevpn to start and log me into the dedicated ip address.

Then it would be a matter of setting a delay of maybe 3 minutes before Emby starts so it picks up that dedicated ip address.

(unless there is a way to type in and save that dedicated ip address within Emby)

Hopefully the pictures will help.

The other options mentioned ZeroTier and TailScale seems like they need installing on the clients, which in my setup includes 6 Roku devices including one at my 80yo Mums house.....

It's possible that this post may help other Starlink users.

image.thumb.jpeg.9e6959a936738c7ef2d07f21088e9118.jpeg

VPN details 1.png

Success 1.jpg

• Thanks 1