Convert hangs/fails for .strm files

bruor

Emby 4.7.11.0 on Windows Server 2022

I'm attempting to use the conversion feature on .strm files in my library.

The conversion process runs as expected, downloading the content from the URL in the .strm file, remuxing it as expected (log attached).   It creates a target file on disk successfully under the %appdata%\roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\sync\ folder as expected, but then the conversion task hangs at 100% and the file isn't relocated. 

If I stop the convert task the UI will show that the process failed and the remuxed file is left in the sync folder.  If I run the Transfer Media scheduled task, the file is not moved to the correct target location (likely because the job didn't complete cleanly).

ffmpeg-remux-7e82ea3b-f087-47af-b017-ac197ee6aa28_1.txt

Because the conversion process shows 100% (I only let it sit at this state for 10 minutes or so..), the file exists on disk and appears to be the expected file size, and there is no further CPU or Disk activity.  

Please attach the main emby server log as well.

Generally speaking if it had actually hung, then you wouldn't be able to cancel it, because the cancellation would most likely hang as well. There's probably just something at the end that's taking a while and making it seem like it's hung.

17 hours ago, bruor said:

For this run I attempted to use the file sync plugin and download media file in original format to another folder. 

I did not stop or interfere with the task.  The converted MKV is left behind in the sync folder. 

image.png.1de3584d7b6f8a781b3af1677821f3b2.png

image.png.c4fe553ded7d9908ce28914474c11431.png

embyserver.txt 88.03 kB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-remux-9153ba7a-3073-49c3-8e85-054a0d7fa13f_1.txt 190.85 kB · 0 downloads

So after it converts the video, then it performs subtitle extractions on the source so that you'll have external text subtitles. This is the part that is leading you into thinking that it's hung, but from what I can see, it's still going.

However, since it takes longer than ten minutes, the server later kills it and considers the whole conversion job failed. That aspect of it can be improved.

24 minutes ago, bruor said:

Ok, so is this a bug that will get filed?  If so, any way I can I track it and provide any testing/feedback? 

The first part will stay the same. It's still going to sit there for a little while extracting subtitles and this may cause you think to that it's hung. But the 10 minute timeout we'll look at improving in the upcoming 4.8 server release. 

But on the 2nd attempt, for which I sent the full set of logs for your review, the convert job failed (I did not click on the stop button), and the file was never relocated (even 12 hours overnight).  I don't think the 10 minute timeout for subtitles has anything to do with it. 

50 minutes ago, bruor said:

But on the 2nd attempt, for which I sent the full set of logs for your review, the convert job failed (I did not click on the stop button), and the file was never relocated (even 12 hours overnight).  I don't think the 10 minute timeout for subtitles has anything to do with it. 

Right that's what I mean that will be corrected. It failed for the reason I mentioned previously.

Ok,  I misunderstood your last response as meaning that I just wasn't being patient enough :)

Is this something I can track/test for you guys or is that an internal process on your end? 

In doing some testing here I've also noticed that if I leave the profile set to original during a download to operation: 
image.png.3eb23d31923f536cbd2859bafedba3fd.png

The resulting file that is created does not have a file extension: 
image.png.bd2d7765c4f6626d298537433d7dd647.png

But if I transcode the file it does: 
image.png.9fb81a0f28a2785c071a4f6c416e47e9.png

For the file that has an extension, I see multiple versions to play: 
image.png.4c2eabd7589bcc1bd58747b6cbc96c3a.png

For the file that does not, only the .strm file is available/shown:
image.png.f1a93123d71d66f2ab8c64faca4dfdcf.png

Let me know if you need any additional logs for this as well. 

19 hours ago, bruor said:

In doing some testing here I've also noticed that if I leave the profile set to original during a download to operation: 
image.png.3eb23d31923f536cbd2859bafedba3fd.png

The resulting file that is created does not have a file extension: 
image.png.bd2d7765c4f6626d298537433d7dd647.png

But if I transcode the file it does: 
image.png.9fb81a0f28a2785c071a4f6c416e47e9.png

For the file that has an extension, I see multiple versions to play: 
image.png.4c2eabd7589bcc1bd58747b6cbc96c3a.png

For the file that does not, only the .strm file is available/shown:
image.png.f1a93123d71d66f2ab8c64faca4dfdcf.png

Let me know if you need any additional logs for this as well. 

HI, yes the server log would be helpful, thanks.

Attached,  start of log is just before I set up the download, end of log is just after the job completed. 

embyserver (1).txt

Edited by bruor
remove personal information from log file.
  • Thanks 1