Refresh Sequence

GreatFlashMan

GreatFlashMan

What's the best sequence to refresh metadata?

I will give an example. Yesterday i accidently let an album into the collection with genre tags still containing v1 format, so I have ended up with the numbered genres in the list. I have removed ALL tags from the files and retagged them only with MB tags (same as all the other audio files), but the genres in the list persist.

I have done "scan media library" in scheduled tasks, and also "scan library files" followed by "refresh metadata" (replace images unticked) in the albums ... options. I have also done the same two refreshes on the library root, and still the 3 genres persist? 

Thought i would ask as with so many albums, it takes a long long time to complete each time i try.

ps. I know i can remove the genres from the albums meta in Emby, but I want to make sure if this happens again (i am usually more diligent) to multiple albums, or that they return on a scan.

2023-02-05 11_31_42-Music.png

2023-02-05 11_31_57-13.png

2023-02-05 11_37_08-13.png

2023-02-05 11_43_32-Mp3tag v3.19  -  __NASUK_Plex Media_Music_Robyn_My Truth (1999)_.png

Happy2Play

Since Emby uses ffprobe to read embedded tags you have to verify they are not shown in a field your tagging tool is not reading.

But you may have to remove all album/tracks from Emby do a scan to clear the database, then readd assuming the items no longer contain the offending

15 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

ps. I know i can remove the genres from the albums meta in Emby, but I want to make sure if this happens again (i am usually more diligent) to multiple albums, or that they return on a scan.

This only works if the tags are truly gone from embedded metadata or will be readded when the item is probed again.

GreatFlashMan
6 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

But you may have to remove all album/tracks from Emby do a scan to clear the database, then readd assuming the items no longer contain the offending

do we call this the "Emby Dance"? ;)

6 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

This only works if the tags are truly gone from embedded metadata or will be readded when the item is probed again.

Yeah, they are gone.

What I am confused about is the 3 update methods, one in settings, and 2 on the library, and the best sequence to use to update the files and meta correctly.

GreatFlashMan
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, the normal library scan is only looking for new or updated files.

so, for a full refresh,

Media Scan in Scheduled Tasks, then
Metadata Scan in the library options?

GreatFlashMan

Would be nice to have a Scan All button. So, it refreshes the library and then does a no image meta scan on each.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 3:04 PM, GreatFlashMan said:

Would be nice to have a Scan All button. So, it refreshes the library and then does a no image meta scan on each.

@GreatFlashMan you can run a normal library scan in Emby library setup by clicking Scan All Libraries, or run the scan media libraries scheduled task.

GreatFlashMan
7 hours ago, Luke said:

@GreatFlashMan you can run a normal library scan in Emby library setup by clicking Scan All Libraries, or run the scan media libraries scheduled task.

and that will both look for new files, and update meta (without image replacement)? (sorry, it's just not clear)

7 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

and that will both look for new files, and update meta (without image replacement)? (sorry, it's just not clear)

No, but you can do that at the top level of each library.