Playing movies now suddenly not working?

Meijinhada

Meijinhada

I decided to switch from using EmbyCon - which kept doing weird things when I wanted to play series, like suddenly skipping back several episodes after playing about four - and trying just Emby for Kodi.  I'm going to guess it's a Kodi thing, maybe an MakeMKV thing, but with EmbyCon, I had no issue playing the bigger 4K movie rips I have that I've done in MakeMKV, but with Emby for Kodi, the same movies refuse to play, or load weirdly.  Not to mention that every movie I select  keeps asking me to choose the audio and subtitle streams, even though they have default tags.  I'm also noticing that even when I do select the correct stream and subtitle, even if the movie or file does play, the audio is correct, but the subtitles aren't working, and looking at the tracks in Yatse remote, Kodi is telling it they're Unknown.  And these are for things I've watched before with no issues in EmbyCon. 

I'm running on an Nvidia Shield Pro, hardwired to a Synology NAS that can do hardware transcoding.  I can still play these files streaming on my Samsung S22 Ultra in the Emby app.

ffmpeg-transcode-67d03371-9ddd-4538-95bb-8590a0885128_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-dbe8653e-4916-431d-bd70-31cc63a39749_1.txt embyserver.txt

quickmic
1 hour ago, Meijinhada said:

I decided to switch from using EmbyCon - which kept doing weird things when I wanted to play series, like suddenly skipping back several episodes after playing about four - and trying just Emby for Kodi.  I'm going to guess it's a Kodi thing, maybe an MakeMKV thing, but with EmbyCon, I had no issue playing the bigger 4K movie rips I have that I've done in MakeMKV, but with Emby for Kodi, the same movies refuse to play, or load weirdly.  Not to mention that every movie I select  keeps asking me to choose the audio and subtitle streams, even though they have default tags.  I'm also noticing that even when I do select the correct stream and subtitle, even if the movie or file does play, the audio is correct, but the subtitles aren't working, and looking at the tracks in Yatse remote, Kodi is telling it they're Unknown.  And these are for things I've watched before with no issues in EmbyCon. 

I'm running on an Nvidia Shield Pro, hardwired to a Synology NAS that can do hardware transcoding.  I can still play these files streaming on my Samsung S22 Ultra in the Emby app.

ffmpeg-transcode-67d03371-9ddd-4538-95bb-8590a0885128_1.txt 14.68 kB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-transcode-dbe8653e-4916-431d-bd70-31cc63a39749_1.txt 49.62 kB · 0 downloads embyserver.txt 43.32 MB · 1 download

Did you adjust the transcoding options (output format)? Maybe something is incompatible.

Not to mention that every movie I select  keeps asking me to choose the audio and subtitle streams, even though they have default tags.

I'll check that, but yes this could be the case.

Actually I hope, Emby (server) removes this mandatory pre-selection. imho a design flaw.

Meijinhada

I haven't touched the transcoding options at all, since before I did this switch, which is why I'm thinking it's either a Kodi thing or a MakeMKV not playing nicely with Kodi thing.

But as to the pre-selection, it wasn't doing it before on EmbyCon, which is why I'm even more confused.

quickmic
22 minutes ago, Meijinhada said:

I haven't touched the transcoding options at all.

You mentioned, you haven't touched transcoding options. If so, emby next gen plugin never transencodes by itself. Maybe you are using embycon (parallel installation etc), I don't know.

Bringing this on track, you must define a clean test case. This means, use a PC/MAC install stock Kodi, install emby-next-gen plugin (nothing else) and post your findings.

thanks

Meijinhada

I did try it in my web browser, and the same thing happens; it seems to try to load, then just drops right back to the main screen with this message:

image.png.153e019c8aeeb300e12b036f82d955fd.png

quickmic
1 minute ago, Meijinhada said:

I did try it in my web browser, and the same thing happens; it seems to try to load, then just drops right back to the main screen with this message:

image.png.153e019c8aeeb300e12b036f82d955fd.png

Then it's not a plugin issue. Could be a broken content file or an issue on Emby server / ffmpeg.

Meijinhada

So would the Android app have its own FFMPEG version running?   Because my Emby app on my phone runs these files with direct play perfectly still.

quickmic
1 minute ago, Meijinhada said:

So would the Android app have its own FFMPEG version running?   Because my Emby app on my phone runs these files with direct play perfectly still.

Look, transcoding is processed on Emby server. Your screenshot shows, that even the Emby server cannot playback the file (via WebUi). I don't know what you tried to play on Emby server, but I highly hope the same file with same transcoding settings as on the apps (everything else would make no sense to evaluate the issue).

Directly play is something completely different and yes. Direct play -> app only decoding. Transcoding -> Emby server encoding -> app decoding.

Meijinhada

This is what I just got playing Groundhog Day, which is one of my 4K rips, which I also just tried playing on the web browser to get that previous screenshot of the playback error. 

Screenshot_20230205-000140_Emby.jpg

quickmic

As this is not a plugin issue, probably you should post you question in the Emby server sections.

May I ask why you want transcoding? If direct play works, use it.

Meijinhada

Well, that's the other thing; I'm not trying to transcode.  I just know this issue seems to have happened after I switched from using EmbyCon to Emby For Kodi, which is why I put it in this area.  I have hardware transcoding set to "Yes" when available, but it's been like that since I first started running this server.

I guess I'll have to dig deeper into the Kodi settings to see if maybe it's that causing the issue.

quickmic
9 minutes ago, Meijinhada said:

Well, that's the other thing; I'm not trying to transcode.  I just know this issue seems to have happened after I switched from using EmbyCon to Emby For Kodi, which is why I put it in this area.  I have hardware transcoding set to "Yes" when available, but it's been like that since I first started running this server.

I guess I'll have to dig deeper into the Kodi settings to see if maybe it's that causing the issue.

I can only speak for next-gen plugin and I repeat that. The plugin NEVER transcodes by itself unless you told so (by settings).

Also use 7.X versions, not 6.x