Cover art refreshing all the time

cncb

I have 2 mini PCs running OpenElec 4.2 (Gotham) from USB thumb drives.  I notice when browsing my movies in XBMB3C (Thumbnail view in Confluence skin) that when I scroll up and down, periodically the cover art goes blank for rows of movies so I assume it is "refreshing" the cover art.  This is not a big problem for my PC with a Pentium CPU because the cover art is filled in usually within 1 second.  However, for the weaker PC with an AMD A4-5000 APU, the cover art remains blank for at least 5 seconds which is not ideal.  Also, with the Arctic XBMB3C skin, the AMD PC seems to not respond until images are updated.

Are there any settings that might effect this cover art refresh/update frequency?  Why does it seem to be happening so often?  Any idea why it seems to be so dependent on CPU speed?  Thanks.

elcabong

you mention running your devices from a USB thumb drive..  unless this is an issue (or feature, heh) that im not seeing with xbmb3c addon, i think you may be noticing slow browsing of the thumb drive due to slow read speed of USB devices.  I have read about similar issues when running xbmc/kodi off a thumb drive with the local library as well.  Ive seen similar slowness on my machine that has a 5400 rpm internal drive vs my main theater pc with a 7200 rpm drive.

the slowness may be tied to cpu because of the way USB interacts with the cpu or vice versa.  so slower cpu/chipset may read USB devices slower.

xnappo

I run my OpenElec box from USB - no problems here.  I also suspect that it is due to the new image fetching scheme and after your cache builds back up it will be fast again.

xnappo

I haven't tried an internal hd yet, but I'm interested in how the XBMC cache works.  Is there a setting that could allow it to cache more of the images in memory so it doesn't have to retrieve them from the USB stick all the time?

xnappo

It is the cache that copied it from the network to the USB drive we are talking about.  No way to cache it in RAM unless you set up a RAM drive or something.

xnappo

I understand but certainly it should be able to load 50 or so images into RAM without having to periodically re-retrieve them from the USB stick while scrolling through a list of thumbnails?

In any case, I replaced the USB stick with the one I was using on my Intel PC and there aren't any delays anymore so it may just be a really slow USB stick I was using.  Thanks.