Subtitle Downloads For Multiple Formats

ssinno28

ssinno28

Hello,

If I have a movie with multiple formats (1080p, 720p for instance) and I go to download subtitles, it only downloads subtitles for whatever the default selection is, which in my case is 720p. How do I get the download to create multiple ssa or srt files with the proper naming conventions?

GrimReaper
29 minutes ago, ssinno28 said:

How do I get the download to create multiple ssa or srt files with the proper naming conventions?

Known issue and AFAIK not implemented yet.

You can potentially lend your support here, read through related discussion regarding issues faced:

• Like 1

ssinno28

I see, okay right now I'm literally just making a copy of the files that I download and renaming them to match the other formats. Its working for now but is a lot of work. 

ssinno28

I'm not sure I've figured out the automated downloading, it doesn't seem to do anything for me after updating the subtitle settings in the admin dashboard. Does it only download the subtitles if the video has a foreign audio track?

5 hours ago, ssinno28 said:

I'm not sure I've figured out the automated downloading, it doesn't seem to do anything for me after updating the subtitle settings in the admin dashboard. Does it only download the subtitles if the video has a foreign audio track?

How have you configured the download options for the library?

ssinno28

I have, seems like I've been able to get it to download for the default media file, but still doesn't get a subtitle file for every video format. 

pwhodges

SRT files are not resolution aware; ASS/SSA files are generally OK in any resolution, though that can vary.

Paul

On 2/3/2023 at 9:43 PM, ssinno28 said:

I have, seems like I've been able to get it to download for the default media file, but still doesn't get a subtitle file for every video format. 

Hi there, can you please provide an example? Thanks.

ssinno28
On 2/4/2023 at 12:18 PM, pwhodges said:

SRT files are not resolution aware; ASS/SSA files are generally OK in any resolution, though that can vary.

Paul

It seems like Emby only notices the file if it is named exactly like the mp3 it is meant for, are you saying that I can have a single ASS or SSA file that will work for all formats? 

ssinno28
4 hours ago, pwhodges said:

SRT, certainly; ASS/SSA, typically.

Paul

What would the naming convention be in that case? If I have two movies Batman - 720p.mp4 and Batman - 1080p.mp4 for instance, how do I name the SRT file so that Emby shows it as an option for both of those resolutions?

GrimReaper
32 minutes ago, ssinno28 said:

how do I name the SRT file so that Emby shows it as an option for both of those resolutions?

You can't - and I'm very curious as to where is Paul coming from with that.

visproduction

If you have -720P and -1080P director's cut, then the subtitles would need to different for both versions.  For that situation it makes sense to match a srt file with each resolution version size and you would not want one subtitle that does both.

16 hours ago, ssinno28 said:

If I have a movie with two different formats (720p & 1080p) it only downloads the subtitles for 720p.

It will definitely try to get subtitles for both. It's possible it just couldn't find any for the 1080p version. We'd have to look at a specific example.

pwhodges
10 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

You can't - and I'm very curious as to where is Paul coming from with that.

Sorry, I didn't think of the name matching, because I embed all my subtitles.  Yes, if you have two resolutions of the same video, they will have to have different names, and the same will go for separate subtitle files alongside them.  However, what I said remains true for the contents of those files, so just making two copies of the same file with the necessary names will work fine.

Of course, if the sources of the different resolution videos are themselves different, you may have an issue with timing offset, or even drift (especially if one is from a PAL DVD), but you'd expect that.

Paul

Happy2Play
On 2/3/2023 at 10:36 AM, Luke said:

The automated downloading features will download for both, just fyi.

Appears to be working in my test on OpenSubtitles.

image.png.4dd9b1e092dec5128c8242c32c89f7a5.png

• Thanks 1