Embycon and Chapter Thumbnails possible within Kodi?

b0mb

Hi,

recently i´ve switched from Emby Addon to Embycon on Kodi because of its ease.mbn

Is it possible to get Chapter Thumbs that Emby already extracted working with Kodi Skins?

Thx in advance!

BR

b0mb

TeamB
On 2/2/2023 at 5:42 PM, b0mb said:

Hi,

recently i´ve switched from Emby Addon to Embycon on Kodi because of its ease.mbn

Is it possible to get Chapter Thumbs that Emby already extracted working with Kodi Skins?

Thx in advance!

BR

b0mb

do you mean bookmarks in kodi?

yep!

would be great if those would sync because as long as i don´t set a bookmark myself the booksmarks are equal to the chapter points ;)

TeamB

Unfortunately there is no easy way to set bookmarks via add-ons in Kodi, there is no API for it.
The only way I know of doing it is to add the emby chapters to the Kodi DB as bookmark items when you start the playback of an item.
I am very reluctant to do this as you end up having to alter the DB directly like the Emby Next Gen add-on does and directly interface with the Kodi Sqlite DB file. This is not something I want to be doing, the whole reason EmbyCon exists is to use the default Kodi add-on api and not have to sync anything to the Kodi DB directly.

So, short answer, no, sorry.

quickmic
On 2/3/2023 at 12:44 PM, TeamB said:

Unfortunately there is no easy way to set bookmarks via add-ons in Kodi, there is no API for it.
The only way I know of doing it is to add the emby chapters to the Kodi DB as bookmark items when you start the playback of an item.
I am very reluctant to do this as you end up having to alter the DB directly like the Emby Next Gen add-on does and directly interface with the Kodi Sqlite DB file. This is not something I want to be doing, the whole reason EmbyCon exists is to use the default Kodi add-on api and not have to sync anything to the Kodi DB directly.

So, short answer, no, sorry.

This is not the whole story. Bookmarks are not same as embedded chapters in the video feed.

Bookmarks are not possible without database sync, correct, but embedded chapters (images/thumbs) are blocked by Kodi (for http streams, no idea why), however. I found a workaround and I think embycon could use it too by faking local content.

advancedsettings.xml:

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>/emby_addon_mode/</from>
<to>http://127.0.0.1:57342/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

Maybe you @TeamB could use this approach too. Replacing the (emby server) tld with /emby_addon_mode/ in the plugin paths.

Be aware this can cause playback issue for some clients, I only use this workaround as an option.

Edited by quickmic

@quickmic

muss ich den "from" pfad genauso übernehmen, wie Du es geschrieben hast?

dann scheint es nicht zu funktionieren.... 

quickmic
3 minutes ago, b0mb said:

@quickmic

muss ich den "from" pfad genauso übernehmen, wie Du es geschrieben hast?

dann scheint es nicht zu funktionieren.... 

Das geht auch nicht ohne modifikationen am embycon plugin. TeamB muesste da ein paar kleine Aenderungen durchfuehren.

TeamB
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

This is not the whole story. Bookmarks are not same as embedded chapters in the video feed.

i am just trying to digest this line a little.

i know what kodi bookmarks are, you can access them when a video is playing back using the bookmark interface in the osd menu.

are embedded chapters the chapter markers in the actual media file?

i know kodi can show embedded chapters in the time line of the osd when you playback a direct stream file from emby. are you saying there is a way of showing images for them?

TeamB

I had a quick look at this and from what I can tell.

- yes Kodi will populate the OSD bookmarks dialog of a playing item with the embeded chapters from the playing item (direct stream only)
 - as stated above it tries to create the images (extract them) but since EmbyCon uses streaming then it has nowhere to "save" them
 - the dialog that displays the bookmarks layout skin file is VideoOSDBookmarks.xml this might be something that can be used

The drawback with using the path substitute approach is that it only works for embedded chapters. While this might be good enough for some it will still cause confusion.

Another approach may be to edit the skin file VideoOSDBookmarks.xml and have a custom content URL like the people list in the VideoInfo dialog uses in the EmbyCon skin. Need some experimentation.

quickmic
4 hours ago, TeamB said:

i am just trying to digest this line a little.

i know what kodi bookmarks are, you can access them when a video is playing back using the bookmark interface in the osd menu.

are embedded chapters the chapter markers in the actual media file?

i know kodi can show embedded chapters in the time line of the osd when you playback a direct stream file from emby. are you saying there is a way of showing images for them?

Yes exactly. Kodi extracts the chapter thumbs directly from the stream and not from database records.

You can see what Kodi is doing by opening a local file with chapter markers (Kodi debug mode enabled and clear Kodi thumbnail cache files) and review the ffmpegs.

The only reason why Kodi is not extracting thumbs from a URL is due to Kodi's internal blocking mechanism (reviewed by Kodi's source). There is NO technical reason, why Kodi/ffmpeg could not extract the images from URLs too.

Ergo, Kodi needs to be tricked believing it's not a http source.

Edited by quickmic

TeamB
36 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Yes exactly. Kodi extracts the chapter thumbs directly from the stream and not from database records.

You can see what Kodi is doing by opening a local file with chapter markers (Kodi debug mode enabled and clear Kodi thumbnail cache files) and review the ffmpegs.

The only reason why Kodi is not extracting thumbs from a URL is due to Kodi's internal blocking mechanism (reviewed by Kodi's source). There is NO technical reason, why Kodi/ffmpeg could not extract the images from URLs too.

Ergo, Kodi needs to be tricked believing it's not a http source.

I think the reason it does not extract from streaming play items is it does not know where to save the images

TeamB

well its not saving the thumbs locally in the media folder, it is saving them directly to the Thumbnails location 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/0/0a8d083c.jpg' so it could extract from streams if it really wanted to.

could be performance reasons, you probably dont want a bunch of offset requests going out to the streaming service just to grab future chapter images, especially if it is trans-coding.

• Like 1

quickmic
11 minutes ago, TeamB said:

I think the reason it does not extract from streaming play items is it does not know where to save the images

No, as mentioned  there is no technical reason why not extracting thumbs from URLs too.

Kodi's native chapter image extraction also doesn't save the artworks next to the content file. It only caches images in userdata/Thumbnails and Texture.db (as all image files).

Don't think this is all theory, I use this approach in 8.X and works nicely.

TeamB

@b0mb

I think I found a good work around for this, I added a custom dialog to show Emby server chapters when you are playing back using EmbyCon

I have added this to the latest Kodi 19 Beta v1.10.29

Now when you are playing an item using EmbyCon and bring up the Kodi bookmark dialog using the OSD bookmark icon you should see the actual chapters from the Emby server.
This requires you to actually have chapters for the item in Emby so check that for the item in the web Emby interface.
If you have any issues please supply an EmbyCon debug log (EmbyCon add-on advanced settings)

I have tried to keep the interface as close to the original Bookmarks dialog in Kodi as possible.

Please let me know how it goes.

TeamB
14 minutes ago, b0mb said:

@teamB

maybe there is some version mismatch.... i am using 1.11.5 on Kodi 20 Nexus ;)

I have released this for Kodi 20 - EmbyCon Beta 1.11.6

This is in the beta repo only.

TeamB
20 minutes ago, b0mb said:

not perfectly integrated but looks quite good ;)

it should be a direct replacement for the built in Kodi one.

what is the issue with the integration? was it not smooth or did it not show up correctly?

TeamB
7 minutes ago, b0mb said:

its shown very big in the middle of the screen ... hehe

I am using the same dialog skin layout as the default skin, the idea was to make it as close to default as possible.

Can you show me some screen shots of what your standard bookmark dialog looks like?

TeamB
9 minutes ago, b0mb said:

i´ll try later ... i am using Arctic Horizon 2 Skin btw. ;)

the scaling is a bit off, I think due to a resolution shift in the skin files I am using. I will re-scale everything and see how it looks.

but I have no idea if it is even working for you, all I know is it is too big. Does it actually work?