Posters not being created

Sam87hg

For new videos, preview thumbs - the ones that show in the library browser, not the images used for seeking while playing - are not being created. I've tried refreshing the metadata on them, and this doesn't help.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks Luke. Not quite sure what you mean a specific example. I added some mp4s to my library alongside all the other mp4s that have been there for years. I add files to my library occasionally, maybe weekly or so, and the preview images always just showed up - until recently. And now they don't, as of I think a month or so ago.

I will add that I was fooling around with file system permissions on my BSD (TrueNAS) volume, if you think that might be something for me to look at.

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, Sam87hg said:

Also I'm using Version 4.7.0.31 beta

Is there a reason you are on such an old version?

But yes a server log with a specific example could help here.

Server log attached.

Regarding the version, I update once in a while and try not to get too far behind. I also try out 4.8 in a different jail periodically to see how things are coming along. I'm not ready to move from 4.7 to 4.8 though. I will upgrade to the latest 4.7 release though (4.7.1.0 for FreeBSD?)

embyserver.txt

GrimReaper

There are no multi-image ffmpeg extracts in that log, only single refresh metadata event which will not generate chapter thumbs if they're already created - or disabled in your library settings; what are you library Video Preview Thumbnails settings?

"As a scheduled task and when media is added." And I have the box un-checked below that which says "Save video preview thumbnails into media folders"

(Aside: This is a bit unclear to me. Is this check-box toggling whether they get saved AT ALL, or is it just toggling whether or not to save them in the folder VS somewhere else?)

But this area seems to be talking about the thumbs that you use for seeking during playback, which is not what I'm after. I'm looking for the thumb that shows when you are browsing the library.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Sam87hg said:

And I have the box un-checked below that which says "Save video preview thumbnails into media folders"

(Aside: This is a bit unclear to me. Is this check-box toggling whether they get saved AT ALL, or is it just toggling whether or not to save them in the folder VS somewhere else?)

But this area seems to be talking about the thumbs that you use for seeking during playback, which is not what I'm after. I'm looking for the thumb that shows when you are browsing the library.

All that is applicable only to 10-second BIFs (seeking thumbs); you want "Chapter markers" there.

4 hours ago, Sam87hg said:

"As a scheduled task and when media is added." And I have the box un-checked below that which says "Save video preview thumbnails into media folders"

For this, either the ten second or chapter marker intervals will suffice. sounds like you have it configured correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Luke and Grim. I've been trying to solve this and no dice. I setup a 4.8 version as well, pointing to the same set of folders and created a similar library.

Question: Where are the preview images (not seeking thumbs) stored when they are created properly? Are they considered "metadata" as well? What command behind the scenes is used to create them?

What is the correct term I should be using for the images that display when you are browsing your library?

I'm just trying to understand what's supposed to be happening a bit better so that I can self-troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Sam87hg said:

Thanks Luke and Grim. I've been trying to solve this and no dice. I setup a 4.8 version as well, pointing to the same set of folders and created a similar library.

Question: Where are the preview images (not seeking thumbs) stored when they are created properly? Are they considered "metadata" as well? What command behind the scenes is used to create them?

What is the correct term I should be using for the images that display when you are browsing your library?

I'm just trying to understand what's supposed to be happening a bit better so that I can self-troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Your choices are None, Chapter, and Interval.

If you select Chapter they are create 5-minute chapter images unless the file has chapter intervals.

They can only be stored in /metadata/library/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx folders for the item in a Chapters folder.

If you select Interval then you have a choice to save bif with media or not.  If no then saved in the /metadata/library/xx/xxxxxxxx folder.

• Like 1

Somehow I think I'm failing to communicate properly. Or I'm missing a detail.

I'm not asking about chapter images - those are there. Same with seeking thumbs, they are there too.

I'm asking about the main image that displays when you're browsing the library. Like you click into the library, there are a bunch of movies shown there, and they all (should) have images you can click on. But mine just shows the placeholder image. All I see is a whole bunch of identical placeholder images. I have to examine the file names to see what's what.

GrimReaper

I think you've got us all confused. 😊

Those are posters you're referring to. You not having them would indicate issue with the providers - or your library setup. 

Edited by GrimReaper

Ah! Thank goodness! "Posters!" I just didn't know the word.

Okay - so how do I force the posters to be generated then? How are they generated? Assuming they aren't downloaded of course. Where are they stored? Like I said initially - all my older videos (95%) are there - only the new videos I add don't get posters.

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, Sam87hg said:

so how do I force the posters to be generated then? How are they generated? Assuming they aren't downloaded of course. Where are they stored?

Posters are generally downloaded from providers, but if you're keen on not downloading them you need to have Screen Grabber enabled in your Library settings under Image Fetchers section. If you opt to Save artwork with media, they'll be saved next to your media files, if not, they'll be saved in server metadata folder. 

Happy2Play

Updated topic title.  Don't believe users can change while in Rookie status (under 25 posts).

But specific examples would clarify the issue.