WHich NAS to replace my dead 918+

HawkXP71

HawkXP71

Looks like my 918+ just died.  Unfortunately, it looks like all current models of the DSM boxes no longer have any transcoding support via on CPU graphics processing, ie they all have AMD ryzan processors.

So what are people buying now?  Or have people moved to a NAS + a NUC for the actual media server?

Eigeplackter

Yes, the models with ryzen cpu dont support hw transcoding anymore, but there are still brand new 920+ available.

If you are feeling comfortable with the "older model" it might be an idea.

Otherwise I'm curious too, what others are using now, who had to replace a synology.

HawkXP71
33 minutes ago, Eigeplackter said:

Yes, the models with ryzen cpu dont support hw transcoding anymore, but there are still brand new 920+ available.

If you are feeling comfortable with the "older model" it might be an idea.

Otherwise I'm curious too, what others are using now, who had to replace a synology.

Where can you find a new 920 for sale at msrp?

I'm only seeing them jacked up (900 dollars) or loaded with harddrives with an even bigger markup. I would buy one today if I found one

Eigeplackter

Hmm yeah in stock is hard to find for the US, but PCNATION has them backordered die $569, in you dont want to want newegg die $7xy (shipping Form JAP).

In Germany we have loads of em:

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/200471767_-ds920-leergehaeuse-synology.html

This shop ships internationally:

https://www.computeruniverse.net/de/p/90803578?utm_channel=psm&utm_source=idealo&utm_campaign=sofort-lieferbar&utm_medium=katalog&utm_content=artikel&agt=509&pde_id=1306233

Edited by Eigeplackter
  • Thanks 1

HawkXP71
4 hours ago, Eigeplackter said:

Hmm yeah in stock is hard to find for the US, but PCNATION has them backordered die $569, in you dont want to want newegg die $7xy (shipping Form JAP).

In Germany we have loads of em:

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/200471767_-ds920-leergehaeuse-synology.html

This shop ships internationally:

https://www.computeruniverse.net/de/p/90803578?utm_channel=psm&utm_source=idealo&utm_campaign=sofort-lieferbar&utm_medium=katalog&utm_content=artikel&agt=509&pde_id=1306233

Thanks! Ordered from the second German site (they were tied to Amazon pay, making life easier) 

Had to pay 60 euro for shipping, but msrp on the drive was worth it! 

• Agree 1

Mantis64

Are you sure it's dead, since I have 2 918+s and both of them it was just the PSU brick. Synology PSU bricks are not very good.  Bought replacements on Amazon and both my NAS's work great again.  

HawkXP71
20 minutes ago, Mantis64 said:

Are you sure it's dead, since I have 2 918+s and both of them it was just the PSU brick. Synology PSU bricks are not very good.  Bought replacements on Amazon and both my NAS's work great again.  

The PSU brick is not showing any signs of problems, it looks like its the "reset button failure" issue.

Apparently the PSU problem tends to present itself as a bricked system.  The reset button issue, apparently presents as "holding down the reset until a level 2 reset is triggered"

I have an appointment with Synology to try and "disable the level 2 reset" ability and see if it loses config again.

Scott

HawkXP71

Just an update for those who care :) or who may see this in the future.

It was the reset button failure :(  

Essentially, (and I have NO IDEA WHY) there is a failure mode of the resetbutton, where when it fails, it fails "closed", as if its been pushed.  

Synology NAS boxes, go into Reset mode 1 or 2, when you hold down the reset button.  If you hold it down for 4 seconds until it beeps, it will reset the internal admin password to nothing, and enable the admin account.  It will also reset the network setup.  So you can "move" the box to a new location if you forgot to set the network to dhcp.

If you hold it for 30 seconds, it wipes the config.

So essentially, what was happening to me, is the system thought I was holding the reset button down for over 30 seconds and wiping the config.

Synology does have a fix for this:
in /etc there is a file synoinfo.conf edit the file (you will need root permissions) and add the line

reset_button_disable="yes"

to the file

This will make it so it doesn reset.

I was able to buy a new 920+ from germany, but it was actually out of stock, then I got lucky and a new one popped up on amazon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2