FLAC Audio Playback Issue

cypher0117
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

cypher0117

My LG C2 TV running latest WebOS and latest Emby app connected through eARC to my denon avr S760H receiver.  The audio setting I have on my tv is "Pass Through" so my receiver is the only device decoding audio streams.  In this configuration I an unable to hear FLAC audio from the Emby app running on the LG TV.  The Emby app shows that it's playing; in stats for nerd, it shows direct play, and there is no error message in the server logs.  This appears to be the way for any FLAC audio file, while all MP3 files play, and are heard, as expected.  Documentation shows both the LG TV and Denon receiver are compatible with FLAC audio format.  I can airplay from my IOS Emby app on my phone to both the TV and receiver playing flac audio successfully, just not using the LG TV app.

Can you please post the media info for that file.  Flac playback has some limitations.  If you put the file on a USB drive and connect it directly to the TV, does the file play correctly using the TV's built in player?

cypher0117

Had to find a USB stick, but yes I was able to put the flac audio file on a USB stick and have it play directly using the build in LG media player from the USB.  Audio was heard through my receiver as expected.

flac audio file information:
filename: 01 - Kryptonite.flac
filesize: 27.2 MB
MIME Type: audio/flac
Bitrate: 930 KBit/s
Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Length: 3:53 Minutes

I've attached a copy of the server log while it was playing said flac file.

embyserver(5).txt

These are audio files (not video with flac audio)

Yes, I think there is an old issue with flac audio playback that might need revisiting

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2023 at 00:32, cypher0117 said:

Is there any additional info you need from me? @SamES

If you disable the receiver and playback the same file with the Emby client using the TV's internal speakers does flac work as expected?  Is the issue only when playing through the receiver?

cypher0117

Testing results:

TV will audibly play flac file when set to TV Speakers
Receiver will audibly play flac file when TV is set to PCM audio
Receiver will audibly play flac file when TV is set to Auto audio

Receiver will NOT audibly play flac file when TV is set to Pass Through audio

• Solution
22 hours ago, cypher0117 said:

Testing results:

TV will audibly play flac file when set to TV Speakers
Receiver will audibly play flac file when TV is set to PCM audio
Receiver will audibly play flac file when TV is set to Auto audio

Receiver will NOT audibly play flac file when TV is set to Pass Through audio

So it sounds like the TV doesn't support flac pass-thru from apps.  There isn't really anything we can do about that, it's an LG limitation 

cypher0117

I also found out the following with movie playback:

mp4 with 640kps 5.1 audio:
TV audio set to pass through - plays normally, receiver states DD codec
TV audio set to Auto - play normally, receiver states DD codec
TV audio set to PCM - play normally, receiver states DD codec

mp4 with 1536kbps 5.1 audio:
TV audio set to pass through - plays normally, receiver states DD+ codec, effectively using eARC bandwidth
TV audio set to Auto - play normally, however receiver states DD codec.  This makes me think the TV is post processing the high bitrate stream to fit into ARC bandwidth vs eARC
TV audio set to PCM - play normally, however receiver states DD codec.  This makes me think the TV is post processing the high bitrate stream to fit into ARC bandwidth vs eARC

It does seem that the bitrate is not the limitation of the audio on my TV.  I would expect a 930kbps audio file to play unless my TV has a limited bitrate per channel issue?

21 hours ago, cypher0117 said:

I also found out the following with movie playback:

mp4 with 640kps 5.1 audio:
TV audio set to pass through - plays normally, receiver states DD codec
TV audio set to Auto - play normally, receiver states DD codec
TV audio set to PCM - play normally, receiver states DD codec

mp4 with 1536kbps 5.1 audio:
TV audio set to pass through - plays normally, receiver states DD+ codec, effectively using eARC bandwidth
TV audio set to Auto - play normally, however receiver states DD codec.  This makes me think the TV is post processing the high bitrate stream to fit into ARC bandwidth vs eARC
TV audio set to PCM - play normally, however receiver states DD codec.  This makes me think the TV is post processing the high bitrate stream to fit into ARC bandwidth vs eARC

It does seem that the bitrate is not the limitation of the audio on my TV.  I would expect a 930kbps audio file to play unless my TV has a limited bitrate per channel issue?

That all sounds correct, although you don't need eARC for DD+, standard ARC should be fine.  It sounds like Auto is selecting PCM rather than pass-thru.  Ideally I would suggest pass-thru is probably your best option.  Obviously this doesn't work for your flac files, but it depends on how often you need to play them, and if you can be bothered switching modes.

cypher0117

Agreed.  Thank you for looking into it on the Emby side.  After I posted I wondered if it might be my TV that is causing the issue.  I have work arounds (airplay direct to my receiver), so it's not a huge issue to me to leave my TV in pass through mode.