Unable to use server outside of webclient

luifrans3

luifrans3

I've been using plex for a year, however I've been having some problems and decided to spring for Emby premier. I set up the server on a Windows 10. However I am unable to connect to the server on either LAN or remotely. The server is currently on 4.7.11.0 . 

On the PC with the server, when attempting to connect using emby theater app, there is a message saying "This Emby Server needs to be updated. To download the latest version, please visit <a href="https://emby.media">https://emby.media</a> ". When attempting to connect with the app on my android phone I also get the same message. When attempting to connect with Chromecast google TV I get "The server Bob's Desktop cannot be reached. It may no longer be available. Would you like to try to wake or remove it?". 

I've been looking through forums and recommended network settings. I have check off yes for remote access, and have enabled port mapping. As well as disabled secure connection mode. Does anyone have any idea what could be doing wrong here? 

Thanks your time 

Screenshot_20230126_100457_Remote Desktop.jpg

Edited by luifrans3
Added screenshot of logs

Hello luifrans3,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

luifrans3

Hey, thanks for the reply. I completed all the steps on Troubleshooting Internal Connections on the link you sent. I opened both ports on the fire wall, 8096 and 8920. It still wouldn't connect. Afterwards I disabled the firewall and tried to connect. It still didn't work.

rbjtech

I would suggest following this guide - Emby Server Remote Setup : as it has further details on 'Port Forwarding' which you will likely need to do.

If you get stuck - then post your Router Model - and we can likely help you configure it.

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I would suggest following this guide - Emby Server Remote Setup : as it has further details on 'Port Forwarding' which you will likely need to do.

If you get stuck - then post your Router Model - and we can likely help you configure it.

I reckon LAN issues should be sorted first. 

1 hour ago, luifrans3 said:

I set up the server on a Windows 10. However I am unable to connect to the server on either LAN or remotely. The server is currently on 4.7.11.0 . 

Tackling remote will only further complicate/confuse things. 

@luifrans3 is your server on the same subnet as other devices you're trying to connect to? 

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I reckon LAN issues should be sorted first. 

Tackling remote will only further complicate/confuse things. 

@luifrans3 is your server on the same subnet as other devices you're trying to connect to? 

ok - little confused as the OP has posted a screen of the server on localhost:8096 - so it's listening and responding ?

luifrans3

All devices are connected to the same wifi on the 5G network. Nothing seems to connect except for the web browser that's the server. 

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, luifrans3 said:

All devices are connected to the same wifi on the 5G network. Nothing seems to connect except for the web browser that's the server. 

Do you have a 2nd PC on the same network we can use to help diagnose ?

A fresh log would also help - restart emby, then post the embyserver.txt log file (pm or here if you like) - as it will provide us key information to assist. 

Edited by rbjtech

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, luifrans3 said:

I also do have a second PC I can use.

Can you connect via second pc?  http://192.168.0.157:8096

luifrans3

It works on all devices on my LAN now. I forgot my jellyfin server was on. I turned it off, I'm not sure if that fixed it or if it was something else. However I can't connect outside of the network. On my android phone outside of the LAN it says "Connection Failure We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, luifrans3 said:

It works on all devices on my LAN now. I forgot my jellyfin server was on. I turned it off, I'm not sure if that fixed it or if it was something else. However I can't connect outside of the network. On my android phone outside of the LAN it says "Connection Failure We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."

Per the linked kb articles do Emby ports show open on a site like (canyouseeme.org) or (yougetsignal.com) ?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, luifrans3 said:

Is there any other solution that doesn't involve opening the port on the router? I don't have access to it

No as UPNP PortMapper is failing on your system also, possibly IPv6 related but hard to say as there are a lot of systems it fails on.  In the end you will be required to open ports.

rbjtech
9 hours ago, luifrans3 said:

ok - this is simply because JF did not bother to change the default port that emby uses (you may be aware that JF is a fork of the original open source emby) ... 

Hence you cannot run both at the same time without changing without changing emby or JF's default ports.. :(

8 hours ago, luifrans3 said:

Is there any other solution that doesn't involve opening the port on the router? I don't have access to it

You need to open the ports - these days, upnp on routers is normally turned off by default as it's a security issue - thus emby is not going to be able to open the ports on your behalf.

If you don't have access to the router - then maybe ask your admin to open them for you - you just need to provide your local emby IP address and the ports to open (TCP 8096 and TCP 8920).

Remember Plex is routing everything via them (and have control on everything you do as a consequence..) - with emby, it's all 'local' to you - but subsequently, you need to set it up to do so.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1