A few little things :)

GreatFlashMan

GreatFlashMan

Ok, though these have been mentioned (some requests go back to 2017), I wanted to put a selection of my personal desires into the mix.

For these (and as a little incentive) I am happy to make a nice donation in the hope of them appearing :) This is a genuine offer.

1) Music
In an artist view, separate Album/Single/Soundtrack/Etc in the same way as Disc 1/Disc 2 is shown in an albums view.

2) Music
Build a list of "recommended" or "popular" tracks to show, making it easier for find the hits in artists with lots of albums.

3) Links & Media Info
A per-user setting to hide these two elements from display. These are great for the admin looking to resolve issues, but clutter the nice UI for a regular viewer. Also, showing the media path is not nice. I know CSS can be leveraged to do this on the web player, but it would be far better to migrate to apps also.

4) Cast & Crew
When searching for the matching artist/actor, purge the ()'s from the name. Many sources (IMDB etc) will often append the role in brackets, ie. "Jessica Tandy (Faye Riley)". This is nice to put a person to a role in the film/series, but breaks the match for the actors data.

5) Argh.... with all this typing, its gone from my head for now.... and i know it was the main one lol. oh well, when it pops back into this little brain of mine, i will add it.

Please, don't get me wrong, Loving Emby. I was a lifetime Plex user and decided to dip my toe a few days ago into Emby's waters. I am very glad I did and on the first day, after only trying it for an hour or so, i purchased lifetime with you guys as well.

• Agree 1

Build a list of "recommended" or "popular" tracks to show, making it easier for find the hits in artists with lots of albums.

Hi, yes it's a good idea, but where do you suggest we get this information from?

GreatFlashMan
10 hours ago, Luke said:

They're all the way at the bottom though, right? 

Yes, mostly depending on content.

Regardless, they are still something that many would rather not see and a simple per-user (or admin only) option for display would sate not only myself, but also people that have been requesting it's removal (and writing CSS code to do so) for many years.

• Thanks 1

GreatFlashMan
23 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

Ok, though these have been mentioned (some requests go back to 2017), I wanted to put a selection of my personal desires into the mix.

For these (and as a little incentive) I am happy to make a nice donation in the hope of them appearing :) This is a genuine offer.

1) Music
In an artist view, separate Album/Single/Soundtrack/Etc in the same way as Disc 1/Disc 2 is shown in an albums view.

2) Music

3) Links & Media Info
A per-user setting to hide these two elements from display. These are great for the admin looking to resolve issues, but clutter the nice UI for a regular viewer. Also, showing the media path is not nice. I know CSS can be leveraged to do this on the web player, but it would be far better to migrate to apps also.

4) Cast & Crew
When searching for the matching artist/actor, purge the ()'s from the name. Many sources (IMDB etc) will often append the role in brackets, ie. "Jessica Tandy (Faye Riley)". This is nice to put a person to a role in the film/series, but breaks the match for the actors data.

5) Argh.... with all this typing, its gone from my head for now.... and i know it was the main one lol. oh well, when it pops back into this little brain of mine, i will add it.

Please, don't get me wrong, Loving Emby. I was a lifetime Plex user and decided to dip my toe a few days ago into Emby's waters. I am very glad I did and on the first day, after only trying it for an hour or so, i purchased lifetime with you guys as well.

ok, also remembered what 5 was.

With movies, there is a plugin that does "Recently Released". So, it shows a list of movies from most recent (movie cinema date) to older. I would love the same option for television. There does not appear to be a plugin for that. Though, this is something that would be much better serviced as part of the base code than a plug in and could encompass TV/Movies/Music. I know PLEX may be a dirty word here, but this is something it was doing years ago. It's just one of the FEW things I miss, and my mum does also as when a new series appeared that she wanted, she can see it straight away when it has aired. Currently, it will show, but if i then add a load of "older" TV (as i often do) it gets pushed back an lost.

I know this has been asked for many many times, and i should go to them topics, but added here as it was part of my "Donation" post originally, even though i had forgot :)

PuffyToesToo
On 1/27/2023 at 9:13 AM, GreatFlashMan said:

With movies, there is a plugin that does "Recently Released". So, it shows a list of movies from most recent (movie cinema date) to older. I would love the same option for television. There does not appear to be a plugin for that. Though, this is something that would be much better serviced as part of the base code than a plug in and could encompass TV/Movies/Music. I know PLEX may be a dirty word here, but this is something it was doing years ago. It's just one of the FEW things I miss, and my mum does also as when a new series appeared that she wanted, she can see it straight away when it has aired. Currently, it will show, but if i then add a load of "older" TV (as i often do) it gets pushed back an lost.

I know this has been asked for many many times, and i should go to them topics, but added here as it was part of my "Donation" post originally, even though i had forgot :)

This is a great idea for a lot of people. I like to have separate libraries for older shows and newer ones. I find it makes the experience better for me. So while it may not be everyone's preference, I make mention of it only so that it might serve as an acceptable workaround for the time being.

• Thanks 2

GreatFlashMan
6 hours ago, PuffyToesToo said:

This is a great idea for a lot of people. I like to have separate libraries for older shows and newer ones. I find it makes the experience better for me. So while it may not be everyone's preference, I make mention of it only so that it might serve as an acceptable workaround for the time being.

Thanks,

I would be really helpful as new episodes can get lost after older episodes are added. The plugin for movies works well "New Releases", but.. this removes a new release when watched (something i would prefer to remain as a fixed list).

This would be great as a ui option for music/movies/tv as well.

I would certainly love to see it implemented :)

I moved from plex, not because there was anything intrinsically wrong with it, just niggles here and there, and the main reason for the move was because Emby has a community and the developers are 'reachable". Ok, as i have found out, some things can take years to appear and some things are ignored, but... it's still better than Plex and the men in suits.

Emby is awesome and even without the extended grounding that plex has had, it's developing into the best media server of them all. love it.

PuffyToesToo
4 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

Thanks,

The plugin for movies works well "New Releases", but.. this removes a new release when watched (something i would prefer to remain as a fixed list).

I'm not sure if it works for you, but when I went to the Home Screen settings, I UNchecked the option below and now the content does not disappear once watched. Maybe that will work for you as well.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 092410.png

Edited by PuffyToesToo

PuffyToesToo

Also, I believe the Time Lord plugins might fill some of those needs for you?

They can be found under the Metadata category of the plugins catalogue.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 094019.png

GreatFlashMan
10 minutes ago, PuffyToesToo said:

Also, I believe the Time Lord plugins might fill some of those needs for you?

They can be found under the Metadata category of the plugins catalogue.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 094019.png

nowhere near.

Yes, it will organise into release order, but... it will then mean that any newly added (though older dated) media will not appear in the recent list.

This is why it needs 2 views, like (dare i say it) Plex does.

as an example...

2023-01-30 14_52_12-Plex.png

Edited by GreatFlashMan
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

PuffyToesToo
3 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

nowhere near.

Yes, it will organise into release order, but... it will then mean that any newly added (though older dated) media will not appear in the recent list.

This is why it needs 2 views, like (dare i say it) Plex does.

as an example...

2023-01-30 14_52_12-Plex.png

Well I have to admit after seeing your screenshot, that I would probably like this better. Thanks for the example and I'll be sure to +1 this. 

• Thanks 1

GreatFlashMan
4 hours ago, PuffyToesToo said:

I'm not sure if it works for you, but when I went to the Home Screen settings, I UNchecked the option below and now the content does not disappear once watched. Maybe that will work for you as well.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 092410.png

Thanks, that works. Didn't think to look there. Though, of course this is global and does not just affect New Releases (as I would prefer)

• Agree 1

GreatFlashMan
On 27/01/2023 at 14:13, GreatFlashMan said:

Just wanted to mention this again.

"Latest TV Shows" currently (as already mentioned) shows the latest added content. But... it does not even do that. It showls "Latest UPDATED TV Shows", so a bit of a misnomer. 

I only noticed this today. Sonarr had decided to update some of the files from HDTV to WEB-DL (as wanted), but this causes Emby to add these to the from of the list (even though they had existed for a long time regardless of format. Plex does not do this, and still shows the "Latest ADDED TV Show".

Just thought i would mention it as this could do with being fixed along with the addition of the displays by release date as mentioned prior.

GrimReaper
20 minutes ago, GreatFlashMan said:

"Latest TV Shows" currently (as already mentioned) shows the latest added content. But... it does not even do that. It showls "Latest UPDATED TV Shows", so a bit of a misnomer. 

I only noticed this today. Sonarr had decided to update some of the files from HDTV to WEB-DL (as wanted), but this causes Emby to add these to the from of the list (even though they had existed for a long time regardless of format. Plex does not do this, and still shows the "Latest ADDED TV Show".

Emby doesn't recognize term updated, so for all intents and purposes those items are new additions and are treated as such - and reflected in appropriate Home Screen rows; applicable to both Movies and TV shows. 

GreatFlashMan

I understand that (being a coder myself :) ).

But... it's contrary to what it's labelled as and really could do with being fixed. Having the lack of "recently released" (to show in chronological release order) makes this more important imho.

23 minutes ago, GreatFlashMan said:

it's contrary to what it's labelled

Hi.  It really isn't as the label is "Latest [name of library]".   You are inferring this to mean added but it doesn't say that and updated is also valid.  Personally, I like to know when a series has seen any kind of update.

• Like 1

GreatFlashMan
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  It really isn't as the label is "Latest [name of library]".   You are inferring this to mean added but it doesn't say that and updated is also valid.  Personally, I like to know when a series has seen any kind of update.

I suppose it's horses for courses.

I personally like it as Plex does it (yes, it's one of the few things it always did right - though I am sure they will cock that up also at some point) whereby it shows the latest additions only. This is great to see what's added recently (rather than updated) and not tied to the release date. Saying that, i would be happy as Larry to have that stay as it is (though "latest updates" would be nicer as a title perhaps) if we could have the "Latest released" as an extra option. it's pretty much what going to TV/Movies does when setting sort to release date - but shown on the home screen for quick presentation of latest series/episodes/films/music. So, not a massive thing to add leveraging the existing code. The only difference really in this display is that watched content should not be removed from the list.

1 minute ago, GreatFlashMan said:

if we could have the "Latest released" as an extra option.

You may also want to check out the "TimeLord" plug-in.

GreatFlashMan

yes.

Well, one of the awesome things about Emby is that you can select what to show on the home screen per app. So, all could be supported really and left to the user.

Currently there is Latest TV/Movies/Music (though they are latest 'additions' or 'updates), and these are fine if also complimented by Recent TV/Movies/Music

So, the ability to display either set, or both, would be wonderful.

I am sure it could be done via plugins (I really must look into them when i get current projects out of the way - 2 switch games), but not sure about interleaving them. By that i mean, 

TV - Latest additions
TV - Recent releases *
Movies - Latest additions
Movies - Recent releases *
Music - Latest additions
Music - Recent releases *

* so they reside just after the existing category.

• Thanks 1

GreatFlashMan
37 minutes ago, ebr said:

You may also want to check out the "TimeLord" plug-in.

no, that removes the recently added and replaces it with latest release by modifications. If it worked alongside then I would use it.