Refresh web page after changing image

swallman

swallman

This is kind of a minor request (but I know Plex handles it better).  When using the web app and you edit a poster for a movie, etc. it would be nice if after you select the new image and go back to the list of all movies that the page would reflect the new image.  I would think there's some sort of page refresh that you could do to reflect it?  Only way I can get it to show the new image right away is back out of the library and go back in.

Just nice to have it immediately refresh so you know it took affect.

Thanks!

• Like 5

Have experienced this all the time when curating my images.  No question it would be a real help to have the revised image show on return to the main category (movies) screen.

visproduction

Swall,

You can force a page refresh in a browser:
windows: F5 
Windows Full refresh: Shift F5
Mac OS Safari:  keyboard shortcut Command(⌘)-Option-R.
Mac OS Chrome: Command(⌘)-Shift-R.
Or click refresh circle arrow button in URL area.

The reason it does not do it automatically is that the page is cached and can appear instantly to the user, instead of a delay in loading.  If you are local, you won't notice much of a delay, but a remote user on a slower network could see anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds perhaps on a new page load.  If you forced the refresh to happen all the time, users would be spending possibly an extra 5 to 10 minutes per 3 hour session, looking at an empty screen that refreshes for every admin change.  If you were remotely running admin on tasks, you would face the same multiple empty screens waiting for refresh data.  Plus all this extra bandwidth could add up for each user to slow down and stutter media playback.  Side effect of making it automatic is not really very nice. Just my two cents.

Edited by visproduction

swallman
2 minutes ago, visproduction said:

Swall,

You can force a page refresh in a browser:
windows: F5 
Windows Full refresh: Shift F5
Mac OS Safari:  keyboard shortcut Command(⌘)-Option-R.
Mac OS Chrome: Command(⌘)-Shift-R.
Or click refresh circle arrow button in URL area.

The reason it does not do it automatically is that the page is cached and can appear instantly to the user, instead of a delay in loading.  If you are local, you won't notice much of a delay, but a remote user on a slower network could see anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds perhaps on a new page load.  If you forced the refresh to happen all the time, users would be spending possibly an extra 5 to 10 minutes per 3 hour session, looking at an empty screen that refreshes for every admin change.  If you were remotely running admin on tasks, you would face the same multiple empty screens waiting for refresh data.  Plus all this extra bandwidth could add up for each user to slow down and stutter media playback.  Side effect of making it automatic are not really very nice. Just my two cents.

F5 to refresh doesn't help at all since that takes you out of the main Movies page and back to your listing of libraries.  Actually if an F5 refresh stayed on the Movies page I'd be happy with that, not sure why it doesn't refresh that page properly...

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, swallman said:

F5 to refresh doesn't help at all since that takes you out of the main Movies page and back to your listing of libraries.  Actually if an F5 refresh stayed on the Movies page I'd be happy with that, not sure why it doesn't refresh that page properly...

Sorry don't follow as F5 refreshes the page I am on and does not jump anywhere else.

swallman
39 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sorry don't follow as F5 refreshes the page I am on and does not jump anywhere else.

Tried in Chrome, Edge and FireFox on Windows.  If I'm on this page:  http://app.emby.media/#!/videos?serverId=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&parentId=7827 (Movies library), and hit F5, it takes me here:  http://app.emby.media/#!/home

Also tried on different PC's as well.

Edited by Happy2Play
removed serverid

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, swallman said:

Tried in Chrome, Edge and FireFox on Windows.  If I'm on this page:  http://app.emby.media/#!/videos?serverId=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&parentId=7827 (Movies library), and hit F5, it takes me here:  http://app.emby.media/#!/home

Also tried on different PC's as well.

Not sure as I have tested on stable and beta on different machines and clicking F5 refreshes and stays on the page I am on.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Thanks 1

swallman

FYI - appears to be a bug in current stable release of the server.  Just tried with the beta and F5 refresh works properly.

• Thanks 1

swallman

I'm on the same version and it appears to be only happening if I use app.emby.media, not sure why that makes a difference.

If I use actual IP then it works properly.

45 minutes ago, Dickydodah! said:

Works fine in V4.7.11.0 which is the current stable release I believe. I'm using Chrome and have accessed via direct IP address and app.emby.media

ginjaninja

My sense sense is Emby has made advances to ensure what is on the screen gets updated to reflect what the server knows to be the case - eg home screen / continue watching; if more can be done on more clients for more changes that would be welcome. I particularly liked the way Plex dealt with content ingestion/library updating. In that at the earliest possibility the object would appear in the library and as fetchers found more information the screen would get updated. Not worth tanking performance for but very ergonomic.