Thumb as Primary Image on Main Screen for Specific Libraries?

Oracle

Hi, has anyone done this?

Instead of having a 2:3 poster as the primary image on the latest media column for a specific library, what I'd like instead is a thumbnail image instead.

Happy2Play

No as they are controlled by the homesections.js and don't believe specific Latest sections can be targeted.

This section, as I've found better luck finding artwork that wasn't in 2:3 aspect ratio. It is a Latest Media section on the home page.

image.thumb.png.df15028ad1d113c5e9b89b28092163ac.png

Happy2Play
34 minutes ago, Arly (Sprinkles) said:

This section, as I've found better luck finding artwork that wasn't in 2:3 aspect ratio. It is a Latest Media section on the home page.

image.thumb.png.df15028ad1d113c5e9b89b28092163ac.png

Yes, it is not ideal but replacing Poster/Portrait with Thumb/Backdrop will change the row.  But affects itemdetails also.

image.png.244a4bd7f638f0672e774c7bf8ac9320.png

otherwise editing the js file affect all Latest sections.

image.thumb.png.01b5de3256735466d4155034355c34f2.png

• 4 months later...
visproduction

Even if you CSS specifically targeted the row with a thumbnail size change, it would be better to check for the row title.  Otherwise, any user who organized their home page in a different order, would potentially get the wrong row changed.  I believe the only way to check for title and change the row style would be by adding in a .js script loaded for that page. This is possible, but really sort of a hack and would probably get lost with every update.  I don't think CSS alone can do it.  With CSS you can possible target the 2nd row, for example.

Adding this thumbnail aspect ratio option, as a feature, would mean adjusting the code to have optional thumbnail image control for each row which, probably needs a new dbase entry.  The downside is that users can easily get the setting wrong and it may take some digging to switch it back to being correct.  Also, a negative would be that the dbase options get more complex, causing other possible errors and perhaps slowing down the page load.  The obvious other question is how popular would this be?  Unfortunately, the answer is that, you Oracle, might be the only person who ever requested this.

A workaround would be just to pad the image dimensions with similar background color to match width / height, 1/1.5 with photoshop type software.  This takes perhaps about 20 seconds per image, if you know the software.  There is probably a batch way to do it for all thumbs with some command line photo editors, which could update easily 1000 thumbs in about 2 minutes.  I understand you would like the app to do it automatically, but that doesn't really change the fact that fixing the thumbs can be quick.

Edited by visproduction