Is emby server beta available in Truenas scale?

chrismallia

chrismallia

Hi

I am testing scale and could only find the stable version of Emby, is the beta also available? if so how do I get it?

Thanks

Edited by chrismallia
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi, actually no, we don't currently have a beta process for TrueNAS Scale. Something to consider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chrismallia
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, actually no, we don't currently have a beta process for TrueNAS Scale. Something to consider.

It would be nice to have the beta, I use the beta version on Ubuntu so that ruled out scale for the moment.

eraser8

I second to that! I`m currently installing truenas scale and would really like to continu to test the beta!

Thanks in advance Luke!

eraser8
1 hour ago, Luke said:

If there's enough interest I'm sure we can figure something out.

The people will see that working with Debian it`s easier than freeBSD.... My hardware acceleration suppose to works great under Debian! Need to confirm but have a lot of hope!

THanks

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
eraser8

So, just an update....

I never saw the power of GPU acceleration in emby until now! I worked on my entire home server setup almost since my last post! After A LOT of tries with plenty of application, here is my final setup in brief:

Before:

Truenas Core with couple of jails inside (emby, nextcloud, etc...) worked well, without GPU acceleration. 

After:

Proxmox VM

--> VM1: Truenas Core with my NAS functionnality + nextcloud jail + letsencrypt jail +other personnal jail not related

--> VM2: Truenas Scale! THIS IS WHY I PUTTED MANY HOURS IN PAST WEEK!   Containing Emby docker only (TrueCharts version)

Quick overview of my emby setup:

1. Run on Kubernates inside TruenasScale

2. Use the Trucharts version because this one ALLOW TO SET THE DOCKER TO CREATE A VIRTUAL NETWORK INTERFACE vs official truenas scale directory that only allow port redirection from the Truenas Scale interface.

3. GPU PASSTHROUGH from Proxmox --> Truenas Scale --> Emby docker

4. all my Media file are hosted on my VM1 (Truenas Core) 12 TB in ZFS with mirror

5. NFS mount from the emby docker (VM2) to the Truenas Core (VM1).

Now, EVERYTHING is working flawlessly and I'm pleased with it. Definitely worth the time!

The next step, being able to install the beta version of emby to be able to test it to help you guys to develop a amazing media application! Truecharts would also need to create it in its repo!

Thanks you

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
FredrikT
On 03/02/2023 at 05:31, eraser8 said:

So, just an update....

I never saw the power of GPU acceleration in emby until now! I worked on my entire home server setup almost since my last post! After A LOT of tries with plenty of application, here is my final setup in brief:

Before:

Truenas Core with couple of jails inside (emby, nextcloud, etc...) worked well, without GPU acceleration. 

After:

Proxmox VM

--> VM1: Truenas Core with my NAS functionnality + nextcloud jail + letsencrypt jail +other personnal jail not related

--> VM2: Truenas Scale! THIS IS WHY I PUTTED MANY HOURS IN PAST WEEK!   Containing Emby docker only (TrueCharts version)

Quick overview of my emby setup:

1. Run on Kubernates inside TruenasScale

2. Use the Trucharts version because this one ALLOW TO SET THE DOCKER TO CREATE A VIRTUAL NETWORK INTERFACE vs official truenas scale directory that only allow port redirection from the Truenas Scale interface.

3. GPU PASSTHROUGH from Proxmox --> Truenas Scale --> Emby docker

4. all my Media file are hosted on my VM1 (Truenas Core) 12 TB in ZFS with mirror

5. NFS mount from the emby docker (VM2) to the Truenas Core (VM1).

Now, EVERYTHING is working flawlessly and I'm pleased with it. Definitely worth the time!

The next step, being able to install the beta version of emby to be able to test it to help you guys to develop a amazing media application! Truecharts would also need to create it in its repo!

Thanks you

You haven't taken notes or written a guide by any chance?

I have a Synology NAS (DS1821+) that I'm fed up with that's running storage and Emby internally. I have a second Emby server for external users with HW encoding running on a Windows machine, but this doesn't really work that well (mainly problems with updating running as a service, etc).

I've build a 2U server that's going to be running my containers. Haven't decided upon a OS yet, but was thinking TrueNAS Scale and testing some storage as well. Will probably build another low powered server for storage with TrueNAS Scale as well to migrate away from Synology.

All my containers running on the Synology NAS are installed with docker run (through scheduled tasks) so I would like to continue using docker run install method so I can for instance run the beta channel of Emby server.

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appriciated!

9 minutes ago, FredrikT said:

You haven't taken notes or written a guide by any chance?

I have a Synology NAS (DS1821+) that I'm fed up with that's running storage and Emby internally. I have a second Emby server for external users with HW encoding running on a Windows machine, but this doesn't really work that well (mainly problems with updating running as a service, etc).

I've build a 2U server that's going to be running my containers. Haven't decided upon a OS yet, but was thinking TrueNAS Scale and testing some storage as well. Will probably build another low powered server for storage with TrueNAS Scale as well to migrate away from Synology.

All my containers running on the Synology NAS are installed with docker run (through scheduled tasks) so I would like to continue using docker run install method so I can for instance run the beta channel of Emby server.

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appriciated!

Hi, curious, why are you fed up with the Synology? I think that model you have is a great machine.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Flippz said:

Any news on this? Would love to see the Emby beta on Truenas Scale

HI, not yet, sorry.

eraser8
4 hours ago, Flippz said:

Any news on this? Would love to see the Emby beta on Truenas Scale

Samedi think here. Cannot run the bêta currently.

• 4 months later...
FredrikT
On 25/05/2023 at 23:19, Luke said:

Hi, curious, why are you fed up with the Synology? I think that model you have is a great machine.

I forgot to answer you on this matter.

Firstly, this specific model doesn't have a GPU so I can't use it for Emby. But I knew that when buying it, so that's not the NAS fault. I'm using a 10GB NIC, so there is no room for any GPU.

But there are a few problems with Synology and this NAS.

1. Synology is and has been removing support for third party hardware that worked before

2. Synology is slowly forcing you to only use their hardware, be it NICs, RAM, drives, etc. There are a lot more expensive, and many of them outdated or hard to come by

3. When I bought it there wasn't support to use NVMe as the system drive, only cache drives, and you can't control how the cache is used.

4. Performance! I've got NVMes, SSD and quick HDDs in this NAS, as well as 32GB RAM. Only half the RAM is used, there is a lot of disk swapping, and even though I've managed to put the OS (and containers) on the NVMes, the OS is distributed to all disks, and it reads from all disks, not just a backup.

So I've bought one of these Chinese ITX motherboards with a mobile 12700h CPU on full power. Initial tests show that this is a monster for transcoding while using very little power. There is a problem with passing though a GPU to a container/VM in TrueNAS Scale if you only have one GPU, but the apps are fine. Though I've been running on the beta version of Emby for a long time, I'd rather not go back to Stable, and I'm not sure if a restore to Stable from a Beta backup will work?

Anyways, please consider making the Emby beta server available for TrueNAS Scale 

• Thanks 1

LinuxWalker

Yes, Synology is no longer updating my 12-bay NAS, so I am stuck on 7.1...

I plan to buy a TrueNAS Mini R...

I have Emby installed as a Docker Image on Synology because of the various upgrade issues...

I was able to install the docker image in TrueNAS scale, just need to figure out how to get it to run...

FredrikT
1 hour ago, LinuxWalker said:

I was able to install the docker image in TrueNAS scale, just need to figure out how to get it to run...

If you only have one GPU/iGPU, then TrueNAS Scale (and many other hyperscalers) locks the only GPU to the OS, and it can't be used with VMs or Dockers. I'm installing the latest Scale now after testing a few other options to see if anything has changed. Maybe I'll just use the app and go back to Stable release. Just hope I can restore from Beta to Stable.

LinuxWalker

Running Emby Beta in TrueNAS Scale as a Custom App

image.thumb.png.d305fb9d629983079e592b5e7b1ac21c.png

Yes, it's running, I don't like it detected the internal Kubernetes IP and not the subnet I'm using, or the fact HTTPS is not open yet... or I cannot map the ports 1:1 and have to use ports 9000 and above... But as long as it can connect to Emby Connect who am I to care...

image.thumb.png.beb526e20b53c8c720706bb72f339f98.png

This is an entirely virtual instance of TrueNAS Scale in VMware Workstation, so I may blow it away and rebuild it again and create step by steps...

But I am 100% sure I can backup and restore Emby and migrate my data with no problems now...

Edited by LinuxWalker

• 1 month later...
eraser8

Just a quick reply to confirm that emby is running flawlessly under Trunas Scale with Truechart plugin since a lot of months/year now! I would be glad to be able to test again the beta version just like before to help you guys with the development! Thanks for your hard work!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
eraser8

So.... It is a little bit late tonight but when I will have time, I'll explain you guys how to run the emby beat version in Truenas Scale Cobia. Works well with my GPU transcoding activated. Just need to test the next version available on beta for automatic version upgrade but for now, it is working great.

Have a good night!

• Like 1

eraser8

So, on Truenas Scale Cobia, you can install custom apps. Here is my configuration of my current emby beta installation. It works fine even if I didn't set any userid/groupid to run the image. Currently it seems to be executed with user "bin", and it can have access to my media directory even if the file permission doesn't fit..... So, I'm not fully understand this part but it's working! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate.

image.png.7bb868d3ef515c0c3e1a76a7f9563fed.png

image.png.7abb620065215f6b65d38cf10b2fc9c7.png

image.png.ebc724f8bd2d6d6ea9018cb079fa9467.png

image.png.6e92f1877ea98176b56c70ccfae38403.png

Edited by eraser8

We don't officially have a beta for TrueNAS Scale, but the 4.8 stable release is coming very soon.

• Like 2

eraser8
3 hours ago, Luke said:

We don't officially have a beta for TrueNAS Scale, but the 4.8 stable release is coming very soon.

Thanks for the info Luke! 

• Thanks 1