Looking for opinions: Why is format unsupported and always transcoding

Soundchasr

If Emby says it reduced bitrate due to quality setting, I would first look into that before changing any cables.

In one of your picture, Stats for nerds says that Emby sends video chunks through HLS @40mbps, seems like a manual bitrate limitation to me!

• Check in the dashboard that the Roku Client is connected locally (address is 192.168.X.X)
    • So that Internet limitation does not kick in
  • Check in the settings of Emby client that you set the bitrate to Auto or something like 4K 140Mbps, well beyond your MP4 bitrate.

image.png.d34dbf1cce70ee0b8316d4c6b962e11d.png

• Like 1

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, Gecko said:

If Emby says it reduced bitrate due to quality setting, I would first look into that before changing any cables.

In one of your picture, Stats for nerds says that Emby sends video chunks through HLS @40mbps, seems like a manual bitrate limitation to me!

• Check in the dashboard that the Roku Client is connected locally (address is 192.168.X.X)
    • So that Internet limitation does not kick in
  • Check in the settings of Emby client that you set the bitrate to Auto or something like 4K 140Mbps, well beyond your MP4 bitrate.

image.png.d34dbf1cce70ee0b8316d4c6b962e11d.png

Possibly (I think the OP has this set to Auto ?) - but it's the pic below that is confirming the Roku thinks it's connected to SDR display (the Balun).

The Balun spec clearly says it supports all forms of HDR and looks to be a suitable - but until the Roku (the emby client) says it's supports HDR 9and direct play) - it's going to transcode.

roku5.jpg

• Like 2

Soundchasr

@Gecko  That (reduced quality) was after I messed with the settings - can't remember where I was in the process.  That's not how it was originally when I was having the problem.  

rbjtech

I wouldn't have thought this was required - but maybe you need to force the EDID on the Balun to 4K/HDR ?  - I would suggest 1100 (let the projector do the scaling).

image.png.905b978d13f9b45232e4a412eda5b5ad.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, Soundchasr said:

@rbjtech  Looks like the EDID settings are on the projector side up in the ceiling.  Gotta find a big ladder.  🙂

Ah - so these settings are not on each end of the Balun ?

If no - then you possibly need to swap the Baluns - as it's the Roku that needs the EDID, not the Projector ..

29 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

... but until the Roku (the emby client) says it's supports HDR 9and direct play) - it's going to transcode.

You're right, I didn't know that HDR could impact the decision to start a transcode session. I just tested on the webapp and indeed, an all compatible HDR file is transcoded while a non HDR Direct Play.
That's good to know, thanks !

Edited by Gecko