Looking for opinions: Why is format unsupported and always transcoding

Soundchasr

Soundchasr

Running Emby on Windows 11 machine with RTX 3060 Ti going to Roku and then Sony VPL XW5000ES projector.  All should support HDR.  

I'm playing HDR10 content and I'm seeing VidoRangeNotSupported and transcoding.  See below.  

I tried the projector on HDR Auto and forced HDR10.  I've also tried the Roku on various 4k settings.  It seems to always transcode and say not supported.  

I'm wondering if I'm missing something.  

Thanks.  

Roku.jpg

roku2.jpg

GrimReaper

Not familiar with either your Roku nor your projector, but does either of them have setting to change color space from Rec.709 to bt2020, maybe it's not doing it automatically?

• Like 1

rbjtech

To add - also start the test with a basic HDR10 playback, no subtitles.      Unless subs are text based, they will force transcoding - thus no HDR.

Also worth downloading a test file from the likes of Sony themselves - I'm not suggesting it's your files, but it's one less thing to add into the equation on what's wrong ..

eg https://4kmedia.org/tag/sony/

Edited by rbjtech

image.png.a51ddf0398127eee71efdda74afc60d0.png

Settings -> Display Type

Have you gone to this screen and clicked the Automatic setting? When you do it will show a picture on the screen and ask with a dialog if you can see it. After that you should see similar to like I see above. It should have the resolution and color inside the parenthesis.

What does your Roku show on this screen?

Edited by speechles

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Soundchasr said:

I downloaded a Sony file and turned off subs.  I'm still transcoding.

You're transcoding due to quality setting, change in-app quality to some fixed numeric value high enough (or just select the highest one). 

Edited by GrimReaper

GrimReaper

Your in-app quality is likely on Auto or set too low, item bitrate is 74.65Mbps, you need to change Roku quality setting to at least 80Mbps. Not familiar with Roku settings and UI, but if following same design guidelines as other client apps, during playback bring up OSD and you'll find Quality settings behind Cog icon.

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Soundchasr said:

But don't change the quality settings in the Emby app?

It IS quality in Emby app that I was referring to.

image.thumb.png.b5b6b9883081ef6bc6a6e36644c6b680.png

image.thumb.png.5ed33e1aa8fc49f298c527eb6418a8ca.png

image.thumb.png.beb7227d07b85c7c2f6732524e109a87.png

Edited by GrimReaper
Screens

1 hour ago, Soundchasr said:

@speechles I have it on automatic. 

roku4.jpg

Notice It just shows (4K) and not (4K HDR10) or similar. You have it on automatic but do you notice the lack of the HDR or DOLBYVISION inside the parenthesis. It just says 4K. Whereas mine below shows HDR.

image.png.12ddb069546c39ec9631aac79c776e7a.png

You need to actually CLICK on the word AUTOMATIC even though it is checked. See if it generates the "Can you see this image" afterwards.

image.thumb.png.f551d801551ba15ece5644045d59d47f.png

If it does nothing after you click it then you already did this and chose incorrectly. You would have to choose something not automatic. Let it configure to that. Then choose automatic again to have it again ask "can you see this image" when you click automatic.

Instead of using automatic, what you can do is choose them manually: 4K HDR TV .. or ... 4K DOLBYVISION HDR TV. Choose the correct one depending on which your projector supports. This should allow the Roku to properly send capabilities to the Emby server so that transcoding no longer occurs. The Emby Roku app reads the capabilities directly from the device for everything and anything set out of whack there affects Emby.

Then go to the Emby Roku app. Make sure you do not use bitrate quality "Auto" if you are on the local network. Instead choose the highest bitrate quality available. Choose it from the Home screen. Press the STAR button when on the Emby home screen and choose application settings. Then set the video quality as high as you can to the top shown.

NOTE: If you change bitrate quality during video playback the offered options will only be to lower the bitrate or keep it original. To get the highest bitrate you must open settings from the homescreen. That is the difference between the two entry points: enter via settings versus enter via video playback.

Now play those same items on your projector and let us know if this has helped. ^_^

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Soundchasr

Thank you @speechles and @GrimReaper

Could it be that my problem is my receiver?  When I change the settings as mentioned I keep seeing the message that my TV or Av receiver doesn't support HDR.  I know my projector does so the only thing that could be the problem is the receiver which is rather old.  I did force the Roku to use HDR and it showed me the image and would play the video.

After forcing HDR on the Roku I then changed the settings in Emby to force the highest bitrate.  It didn't like that.  🙂 The video kept stopping when playing. 

Could it be the receiver is the problem?  I'm trying to think through whether that could really be causing the encoding though.....

roku5.jpg

42 minutes ago, Soundchasr said:

Thank you @speechles and @GrimReaper

Could it be that my problem is my receiver?  When I change the settings as mentioned I keep seeing the message that my TV or Av receiver doesn't support HDR.  I know my projector does so the only thing that could be the problem is the receiver which is rather old.  I did force the Roku to use HDR and it showed me the image and would play the video.

If you leave the Roku hooked up to that projector leave the setting on manual. You will experience less issues. On automatic you are at the whim of Roku. Using manual you are in control.

42 minutes ago, Soundchasr said:

After forcing HDR on the Roku I then changed the settings in Emby to force the highest bitrate.  It didn't like that.  🙂 The video kept stopping when playing. 

Could it be the receiver is the problem?  I'm trying to think through whether that could really be causing the encoding though.....

The bitrate of the source material is the problem. It sounds like your projector is choking on the fast bitrate. You can keep lowering the bitrate in increments of 10Mbit until it settles down. Then move it up again slowly until you find the bitrate the player finds acceptable. But this means that your media may be a higher bitrate than the projector can handle and it must transcode. When it transcodes the video stream it has to tone map for HDR. I tried to look up the make/model number of your projector and find the published maximum bitrate and cannot find it.

For such an expensive projector it might be something else other than bitrate causing it to render the scene slowly on your projector. What projector settings do you have set? Perhaps something there isn't matching what you manually set the Roku to?

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Soundchasr

@speechles

Ok. So, you think it's bitrate and not the receiver?  Sorry, a lot of this is above my head although I'm trying to learn ASAP.  

I couldn't find anything about the bitrate either.  Here is where I got most of the settings (see at the bottom):  https://www.audioadvice.com/videos-reviews/sony-vpl-xw-home-theater-projector-setup-guide

rbjtech
4 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Why on earth would a projector give a toss about bitrate? 

lol - I'd rephase the response myself - but absolutely - the projector has nothing to do with bitrate - it's an HDMI video signal.

It's the Roku and/or the Network source that is having the 'bitrate' issue (if at all).  Could be a wifi limitation.

Try with a < 20Mbit/sec file - again, just testing here.  Always use the lowest denominator when testing and then ramp up - as 80Mb/sec sounds like a 4K Remux - ie original bitrate from the 4K UHD Disk.    Which 'should' play just fine - but you need to have various items in place, such as good network, sound might by HD Audio (which the Roku may not support - but you may be able to pass this through to the AVR  etc).

Lets confirm the setup here

• Emby 'Server' - running on your PC (win11) - media/video files on local HDD ?
  • Emby 'Client' - Roku 4800X via AVR HDMI 'in'
  • Display - Sony Projector via AVR HDMI 'out' (also called 'Monitor').   You may have a 2nd HDMI 'Out' ?
  • Sound - AVR - we don't know which model

Roku > HDMI (in) > AVR > HDMI (out) >  Sony

The Roku connects to the Emby Server via Ethernet (wired) or wifi - at this point in time, this is not important and has nothing to do with the HDMI HDR handshake needed to get HDR working.

Roku > wifi/wired Ethernet > Emby Server(PC/win11) 

Things to check

• Roku is outputting HDR - I don't have a Roku - and @speechles is the expect here.
  • Roku is set to HD Audio passthrough (to the AVR, NOT ARC or eARC) ? - again, not sure of its capabilities here - but if no HD-Audio passthrough, then you cannot attempt to play HD-Audio as it will force a transcode.
  • AVR has the HDMI ports set to full 'video' capability.   In the settings - ensure they are set to 'enhanced HDMI' - basically the best option here.  Manually set if on 'Auto'.   What is the AVR model - it may not support HDR if very old.   This will likely only be an issue on high frame rate media - but best to check.

I would also connect the Roku directly to the Projector - and see if the Roku is listing 'HDR' now in it's display options - if it is, then it's the AVR that is causing the issue here and you may need to configure it.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Soundchasr

@rbjtech

Thank you.  I'm going to look into all of this.  Here's some more information:
>AVR is a Denon AVR-X3200W
>Ethernet connected - not Wifi
>HDMI - I'm not using an HDMI cable, I'm using a Balun.  I'm starting to wonder if that could be complicating things.....

Edited by Soundchasr

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, Soundchasr said:

@rbjtech

Thank you.  I'm going to look into all of this.  Here's some more information:
>AVR is a Denon AVR-X3200W
>Ethernet connected - not Wifi
>HDMI - I'm not using an HDMI cable, I'm using a Balun.  I'm starting to wonder if that could be complicating things.....

That AVR has no issues passing HDR - I have a Denon myself.    Worth checking the HDMI settings as above but it should work fine even on 'basic' HDMI.

The Balun / HDMI extender is a definite culprit.

As a test can you put the Roku next to the projector (via a short HDMI cable) and extend the Ethernet cable (or use wifi) .. ;)  You won't get Audio of course, but at least you can solve the HDR issue and proove it's the HDMI extender ..

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Soundchasr

"being a projector, it would be a lot easier to put the Roku next to the projector (via a short HDMI cable) and extend the Ethernet cable ."
- Do you mean for testing?    I don't think I could do that permanently as I'd have to run sound to the receiver, right?

rbjtech
31 minutes ago, Soundchasr said:

"being a projector, it would be a lot easier to put the Roku next to the projector (via a short HDMI cable) and extend the Ethernet cable ."
- Do you mean for testing?    I don't think I could do that permanently as I'd have to run sound to the receiver, right?

I edited my reply earlier to say as a test ;)

Which HDMI extender are you using - more importantly, if it's an 'active' model (ie powered/has electronics/logic at either end) does it support 4K HDR ?