HLS Support breaks Android client LiveTV

Karen

I'm running into an issue with HLS support and LiveTV.  Using the Android client (2.0.85) on my Nexus 5 (Kitty Kat 4.4.4) I have HLS support turned off due to a nasty stuttering issue. When I attempt to view LiveTV it hangs the Android app -- I press the "View Now" button. I see the white circle (which isn't spinning) and that's it. It hangs the client app pretty hard. If I turn HLS Support back on, it exhibits the stuttering issue after viewing for a short period of time (8 to 10 minutes). Can ServerWMC and LiveTV plugin work without HLS support? I sure would be nice if Google would fix their HLS so it doesn't have the stuttering issue --  apparently affects Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4, and I've even heard rumors Android L continues to be broken).

Some details:

Mediabrowser Server 3.0.5395.0
   Mediabrowser ServerWMC plugin 1.0.0.43
   ServerWMC 1.0.0.42 build 1167

Android Mediabrowser App (2.0.85)

Nexus 5, running Kitty Kat 4.4.4

Thank You for all the awesome work you guys have been doing.

it really works best with HLS, unfortunately. but we're also working on mpeg-dash which is an alternative format that google prefers.

Hi Luke. Thank you for the update and I look forward to seeing what mpeg-dash can do. The Live TV feature sure looks good when it's streaming nicely and I look forward to full functionality at some point.

From Goggles official annoucement on Andriod Lollipop they say: "State of the art video technology with support for HEVC to allow for UHD 4K video playback, tunneled video for high quality video playback on Android TV and improved HLS support for streaming".   Oooo...that sounds promising too. :)

Redshirt

The non-hls playback issue should be resolved in version 2.0.87 of the Android client.