Could not resume in-progress recordings

cncb

MBSki
25 minutes ago, ebr said:

In short, there is no easy fix.  We are obviously working towards improved functionality but its not going to happen overnight.

Thank you @ebr. I just wanted to hear that it was being worked.

8 hours ago, SamES said:

ven though the in-progress recording is already 30 minutes long, when I start playback from the beginning and want to jump to the 20 minute mark, I can only skip forward to the point where the file segments have been generated (ie: initially only a few minutes).  I also believe throttling makes this worse as transcoding stops/throttles and I need to keep skipping forward in small jumps to allow transcoding to continue.  Eventually I can get to the 20 minute mark, but it is not a good experience.  Effectively, the transcoding speed limits how far and how quickly I can skip ahead.

Normally, the server would stop transcoding and start a new transcoding session starting from the point to which are skipping.
But maybe it's different in the case of the current live tv. I haven't been much involved there. I also can't say whether an improvement is possible on the basis of current live tv. What I can say though, is that whatever could be done would only be punctual improvements.

This is an intrinsic problem. It has nothing to do with how much effort and expertise you put into it. Emby's media processing is built around the premise to be able to "play everything on every device" as a universal solution, and it's doing that with excellence and a minimal failure rate. Unfortunately, that "universal" approach is highly contradictive to the requirements for a live tv implementation at a similar level of quality and features. There aren't many common denominators and as such, TVnext is breaking out of many of the usual patterns employed by Emby without needing to compromise. The key point is specialization: TVnext handles a single container format, three video codecs and a single client-delivery protocol - completely different to what Emby does normally.
That independence and specialization is what allows it to be so much better - in that special area.

So when one or the other is wondering why it's not possible to get the same things working here when we say we got them working there (TVnext), then this might explain it a little better, I hope.