Emby and Dolby Vision

Freddy
Go to solution Solved by arrbee99,

Hi All, I am evaluating Emby with a 1 month premier pass. I was/am using Plex but the DVR function has stopped working so I thought I would try Emby. The DVR using Hauppage PCIe card works as advertised so I thought everything was great... But, about half of my Dolby Vision movies/shows only display in HDR10.  I am using a Shield TV 2019 Pro in conjunction w/ a receiver capable of all the popular audio formats (7.1, atmos, etc) so I never need transcoding.  Plex plays all the dolby vision movies/shows correctly including the Disney/Netflix (dolby 5??) as well as the Dolby Vision versions from pure HEVC mkv/mp4 UHD backups.

So it seems like I can either choose OTA DVR or Dolby Vision! I tried Jelly Fin and it has it's own issues and Kody's not really a server.  Any advice?  If i can get this Dolby Vision working I am planning on getting a lifetime Emby Premier, otherwise I will just wait until Emby catches up.  

Any advice on getting more universal Dolby Vision support?
Thanks,

Freddy.

PS: I have a TIVO as an OTA DVR but offloading the recordings is a real pain so if I can get this function on Emby that would be nice!

Hello Freddy,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Solution
arrbee99

I imagine someone (me ?) will suggest trying sideloading the in-development Android app here -

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/tree/master/android

and seeing how that goes.

The v8a version is for the Shield pro.

I'm just an ordinary user so you may or may not want to wait till someone more authoritative replies.

MBSki

Agree, try sideloading the version @arrbee99 mentioned. I have the same setup as you and I haven't had any issues with Dolby Vision recently. Any particular movies giving you an issue? Last time I tried I believe I played Aquaman with no issues, but it would be interesting to hear which movies and which Dolby format you're having issues with.

arrbee99

Also, forgot to mention, the beta version of the normal Android app will hopefully improve things, if you want to try -

rbjtech

Even all the 'release' versions play back the majority of DV without issues - but as above the latest Beta's have been updated to add DV profiles that have been troublesome.

If your files are dv profile 8 - then the latest beta's should fix this for you - both the Android and AndroidTV (I would recommend AndroidTV - it will provide the better UI and experience imho)

• Agree 1

I think the Dolby Vision problem has went away with the beta version of the Android app, at least for the spot checks that I did!  Thanks To All!

I do have one comment and may post this in a separate post. Since I had good luck with the Beta Emby App on Android I thought I would try the beta Emby Server for Windows version embyserver-win-x64-4.8.0.21.  This version could not detect the Hauppage TV Tuner card,  So I re-installed Version 4.7.11.0 and it found the card again!

I hope that beta does NOT make into the release as is or my Hauppage card will probably stop working!

• Like 1