60mbps video streaming at over 200mbps

DB1961

I am a recent Emby user and for my purposes (music, pictures and home video) I have found it is by far the best solution out there.

I stream from a windows PC (Windows 11, intel 12700k & 3080ti) over cat 5e to 2 Sony 4k tvs via Apple TV and Nvidia Shield.

I have found some weird behaviour with the 2017 Apple TV.

My 2017 32GB Apple TV would stutter badly to the point that the video (encoded as .mp4 @ 60mbps) was unwatchable. It was like watching a slide show. This is with the latest version of Emby.

The same video on my 2022 128GB Apple TV and Nvidia Shield is fine.

However, when I look at the resource monitor on my PC (server) it shows that 60mbps encoded video streaming at over 200mbps to the 2022 128GB Apple TV while it streams around 60mbps to the Nvidia Shield. This is the same for both of my TVs.

End result is it works fine on the new Apple TV and Shield but there maybe some link to the stuttering issues people with older Apple TVs have experienced.

OK so I can see it is direct playing. I wonder if the 60 mbps bitrate is just too high for the older Apple TV model?

9 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK so I can see it is direct playing. I wonder if the 60 mbps bitrate is just too high for the older Apple TV model?

It seems to be. The new 2022 Apple TV has the A15 chip which is significantly faster than the older one.

It's strange that my Nvidia Shield streams the same 60mbps video to the same tv over the same network at 60mbps, while my Apple TVs stream it at a much higher bitrate with spikes over 200mbps.

• 4 weeks later...