Playback of a 4k HDR file suddenly stops

testingtv

testingtv

Hello,

What I am trying to accomplish:

• Play a 4k HDR file on a LG55B7D

Where I am stuck:

• After x minutes of smooth playback it begins to studder for 1-3 seconds and then suddenly stops
  • Sometimes skipping 10 seconds ahead fixes the issue, sometimes the video file is just stuck at the same point even after restarting the stream or the application

Serverinfos (both servers have the exact same issue):

• Version 4.7.11.0 hosted on Ubuntu
  • Version 4.7.11.0 hosted on Windows

Workarounds I tried:

• Playing on a different device:
    • Android Smartphone App: No issues (Direct Play)
    • Browser on Windows:
      • Transcoding HDR Dynamiccompression disabled: No issues (Transcode, horrible colors, HDR lost through transcoding)
      • Transcoding HDR Dynamiccompression enabled: No issues (Transcode, colors perfect)
  • Transcoding:
    • When choosing a quality that doesn't support direct play and transcodes the HDR away or uses HDR Dynamiccompression: No issues

Debug-Level Log from the issued playback on the LG TV is attached, as well as the media-info for the video file that I am trying to playback.

Greetings

embyserver(5).txt media_info.txt

Sounds like network issues. How are your devices (server and tv) connected?  Wired or wifi? 

Make sure the file is DirectPlay for your testing, not transcoding

testingtv

Server and TV are connected via LAN. Had this issue also eben connecting via WiFi.

I See I didn't clarify that in the starting Post, I am talking about Direct Play. As soon as transcoding ist needed no problem ist occuring at the TV.

2 hours ago, testingtv said:

Is that a possibility? Since the streaming started completely fine and the problems came up later.

I agree, it's possible, but unlikely.  If you put the file on a USB drive and connect it direct to the TV, can you play it with the TV's internal video player?

9 hours ago, Luke said:

@SamES I wonder if the TV doesn't support the particular hevc profile, and therefore we should be transcoding it to begin with.

Would playback even start if this was the case?

testingtv
2 hours ago, SamES said:

If you put the file on a USB drive and connect it direct to the TV, can you play it with the TV's internal video player?

No problem playing that. No issues at all.

I suspect you might be having network issues. Try rebooting any routers or switches.  Also try rebooting the server

See if it’s any better immediately after this, and if it gets worse over time 

testingtv

Rebooted everything. Did not work!

Even tried multiple networks. The file stucks at the very same position every time when I do a direct playback.

20 hours ago, testingtv said:

Rebooted everything. Did not work!

Even tried multiple networks. The file stucks at the very same position every time when I do a direct playback.

Is it just a problem with this one file, or do you have the same issue with many files?

testingtv

In the past this already happened to a few different files. Always 4k, always HDR.

I just tried it with a video file that seems to have the same encoding "profile" and also encountered a sudden stop, this time right after a few seconds. Trying a file with a different "profile" has no issues at all.

Since there is no issue when transcoding it seems like a problem with that specific "profile".

• Like 1