.rt files being created and files read

jscheeren

Happy2Play

@Lukeis this not a plugin extraction renaming issue as the actual files in the zip are correct?

Utlized link in log file.

image.png.8748c18130defc9ddaacdbec1ca877c1.png

As you see there is a space in the name betweem S/E that is corrected removing a character.  So guessing removing this space remove the extension "s".

Wentworth - S06E07 - The Edge.en.rt

• Like 1

Just now, Happy2Play said:

@Lukeis this not a plugin extraction renaming issue as the actual files in the zip are correct?

Utlized link in log file.

image.png.8748c18130defc9ddaacdbec1ca877c1.png

As you see there is a space in the name betweem S/E that is corrected removing a character.  So guessing removing this space remove the extension "s".

Wentworth - S06E07 - The Edge.en.rt

that's great investigation, thanks. Looks like a fix is needed in the subscene plugin.

jscheeren

Well, that is terrific news in one sense and you guys saved me from having to stop using Emby Server. Thank you so very much. There is no way I could have figured that out.

With regards to the Subscene plugin it seems to be an error of that plugin that has only started happening fairly recently. There is no setting that I enabled that would specify .rt text files as the format and can't even find a way to change any settings for Subscene.

Can I assume then that all of the video file reads occurring even when .rt files are being created is also the Emby Server doing something in the background? PA File Sight Pro just says the files are being read by "System or Network" but as stated, this only happens when Emby Server is running.

Cheers,

jan

Well, that is terrific news in one sense and you guys saved me from having to stop using Emby Server. 

How could we have prevented you from reaching this conclusion? Would it be better if we did not allow community members to build plugins?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, jscheeren said:

With regards to the Subscene plugin it seems to be an error of that plugin that has only started happening fairly recently.

I will guess it is random depending on who created the subs as I would not expect the rogue space between season and episode.  But will require manual renaming of all rt to srt.  And will continue to happen until the plugin is updated.

Happy2Play

But definitely something in the renaming routine.

image.png.1a570c0d7f9926e8a67fb89c2b71d841.png

SubtitleManager: Saving subtitles to \\pc-13\TV Series - Xtra\Call The Midwife\Season 9\Call the Midwife - S09E01 - Episode 1.en.rt

jscheeren

Luke,

Yes, it looks like the .rt files are indeed sub titles. I could send you a file if you would like, see grab below.

With regards to your question about plugins, I understand it is a serious one, but I have no decent response. I have been seeing the advantages of Emby having them, but no vision into the Cons (except for in this case, which was a determining factor as to whether or not I could keep using Emby Server)

I believe Plex announced they were stopping Plugins, but years later many are still there.......

Re: "How could we have prevented you from reaching this conclusion?" I guess by providing the support that you guys did. But that worked of course because I brought it to your attention before uninstalling Emby, suspecting the problem was a major and unexplainable (to me) security risk.  So, you guys saved the day. I will turn off that plugin.

Best,

Jan  

image.png.17452fb7340a3a4f25001cf5d28e3bfc.png

• Like 1

pwhodges

RealText (.rt) subtitles are timed-text for RealMedia, compatible with RealPlayer and the RealOne player.  It is similar to XML or HTML in structure, so changing the extension to .srt will definitely not work.

Details here.

Edit - from the sample posted while I was writing, it is clear that these .rt files are not Realtext, but somehow just misnamed...

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

Happy2Play

This appears to be fixed and you need to update the plugin as you are on a old version "Emby.Subtitle.Subscene, Version=2.2.7.0".  Will be a issue as none catalog plugins require manual updating.

Fix bug in subtitle extension · nRafinia/Emby.Subtitle.Subscene@662d793 (github.com)

Release 2.2.10 · nRafinia/Emby.Subtitle.Subscene (github.com)

But do not use plugin to verify.

Slightly different results in topic

@nRafiniamay have to comment.

Edited by Happy2Play

jscheeren

Excellent. Thanks for that info HappyToPlay.

I had always assumed that Emby plugins automatically updated themselves? I have see a bunch do that.

Not sure what you mean by "But do not use plugin to verify" Do you mean I should uninstall that plugin and then fetch the new version from the Emby list?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, jscheeren said:

Not sure what you mean by "But do not use plugin to verify" Do you mean I should uninstall that plugin and then fetch the new version from the Emby list?

I personally don't use the plugin and have never tested it.  But you should download the new dll and replace the old one.

C:\Users\jan\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\Emby.Subtitle.Subscene.dll

Additional note if anyone uses a third-party plugin from the forum you will need to follow that topic for possible update.  Or if on GitHub follow the repository

image.thumb.png.582baaac5c23490dfedf9deea61d4b98.png