Can't play movies and series x265 on web

Infinityedu

Infinityedu

So far everything has been fine, with my movies in x264, mp4 etc, but now I have realized that with the x265 HEVC codec I can compress more movies and not occupy so much space, the thing is that when it comes to play them with Emby, it does not load, it is super caught, BUT IT ONLY HAPPENS WITH THE PC, I have 2 tv box and mobile phones, Mi box and chromecast gtv and in them the reproduction is normal and current, also, with an emulator of android in the PC also works well, it is only from the browser of the PC that goes all lageado.

Only with x265 movies and series.

If anyone has any idea what could be happening I would appreciate it, thanks!

Edited by Infinityedu

visproduction

Emby should be able to convert such movies automatically and allow them to play back.  You have to turn transcoding on.

Direct x265 playback in a browser, without using auto transcoding, can run into problems.  I cannot tell from your question if you are running transcoding or not.  I would need more details to be able to answer your question correctly.

x265 movies direct playback is not supported by most browsers. The exceptions are Safari for Mac OS or some older Edge browsers.  There is, however, I believe a plug in that can be purchased to allow x265 playback in a browser, but I think every user who wants to do that may need to purchase and install the plug in.

I believe the history of x265 support had a charge of something like $0.25 per browser if the browser creator wanted to include x265 playback.  So, if that is still true, than any browser that has 1 million users would owe $25,000.  I think this is one of the reasons it is not supported.  That licensing may have changed, but I think browser creators are just not interested in x265.  They are already reviewing newer codecs.

Edited by visproduction

Happy2Play

Browsers provide limited support and the majority of the time it will be the audio track the require full transcode in a browser but specific examples are needed.  Ideally you should user Desktop Emby Theater.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Infinityedu
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Browsers provide limited support and the majority of the time it will be the audio track the require full transcode in a browser but specific examples are needed.  Ideally you should user Desktop Emby Theater.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

I have seen that with Edge it seems to work well.. in chrome it appears as an error of audio that is not supported

Infinityedu
3 hours ago, visproduction said:

Emby should be able to convert such movies automatically and allow them to play back.  You have to turn transcoding on.

Direct x265 playback in a browser, without using auto transcoding, can run into problems.  I cannot tell from your question if you are running transcoding or not.  I would need more details to be able to answer your question correctly.

x265 movies direct playback is not supported by most browsers. The exceptions are Safari for Mac OS or some older Edge browsers.  There is, however, I believe a plug in that can be purchased to allow x265 playback in a browser, but I think every user who wants to do that may need to purchase and install the plug in.

I believe the history of x265 support had a charge of something like $0.25 per browser if the browser creator wanted to include x265 playback.  So, if that is still true, than any browser that has 1 million users would owe $25,000.  I think this is one of the reasons it is not supported.  That licensing may have changed, but I think browser creators are just not interested in x265.  They are already reviewing newer codecs.

How do I turn on transcoding? I have seen that the audio fails in chrome, it says that it is not compatible, with Edge it seems to work...

22 minutes ago, Infinityedu said:

How do I turn on transcoding? I have seen that the audio fails in chrome, it says that it is not compatible, with Edge it seems to work...

There's nothing you need to do to turn on transcoding. It will already happen when necessary. Can we please look at an example?

Thanks.

Infinityedu
11 hours ago, Luke said:

There's nothing you need to do to turn on transcoding. It will already happen when necessary. Can we please look at an example?

Thanks.

I just realized that it is transcoding, the thing is that the server is on an old PC that is not very powerful and that works great with direct video, and when transcoding it slows down.

is there a browser with x265 like edge does?, in edge some series look dark...

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, Infinityedu said:

is there a browser with x265 like edge does?, in edge some series look dark...

Most do but in the end it is usually about audio.

"hevc" | Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc

Not sure about this as I know my Edge browser still supports ac3

HTML5 Browser Support | Dolby Developer

image.thumb.png.2df1e53453c850ae77d5af598be74611.png

If Premiere user, you should use Desktop Emby Theater.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not sure about this as I know my Edge browser still supports ac3

And EAC3 as well.

image.png.3c4fee80c0858cca233c472bf1813d00.png

Rumbaar

I was going to start a new thread, but hoping my question can be posted here and relates to H265 and Chrome support.

Recently (SEP-Oct 2022?) Chrome got 'limited' support for HEVC (H265) and could allow for Direct Play.   Looking at my library, my HEVC 4k MKV container media plays direct via Chrome and not stuttering.  But my HEVC 1080p MP4 container media plays direct via Chrome but is a stuttering mess.  As you can see below Frames are being dropped and the bitrate is will below the 4k.

Also as EMBY doesn't seem to see a reason to transcode, Chrome is playing, how do I force it to transcode so it actually plays?  Or a better solution?

image.png.f6f801e8950af6dfacc72d24bc7e801a.pngimage.png.afa298625afaa8b61430e8b212194099.png

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, Rumbaar said:

But my HEVC 1080p MP4 container media plays direct via Chrome but is a stuttering mess.

Does that happen on all 1080p mp4s or is limited to any particular item(s)? 

11 minutes ago, Rumbaar said:

Also as EMBY doesn't seem to see a reason to transcode, Chrome is playing, how do I force it to transcode so it actually plays?

There is no "force transcoding" feature, but you can lower playback quality to the first lower value than item's bitrate, that'll trigger transcoding while giving similar results. 

13 minutes ago, Rumbaar said:

Or a better solution?

Try it with MS Edge or Marmaduke Chromium or use Emby Theater. 

• Like 1

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, Rumbaar said:

But my HEVC 1080p MP4 container media plays direct via Chrome but is a stuttering mess

And if you drag and drop the video directly into the browser it does the same correct?  Most previous topics it is either the system HEVC addon or possibly HWA in the browser itself.

• Like 1

Rumbaar
22 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Does that happen on all 1080p mp4s or is limited to any particular item(s)?

It happens for all HEVC MP4 via Chrome, and Direct Play

There is no "force transcoding" feature, but you can lower playback quality to the first lower value than item's bitrate, that'll trigger transcoding while giving similar results. 

Not really a viable global solution, but thanks.

Try it with MS Edge or Marmaduke Chromium or use Emby Theater. 

Via Firefox and EDGE it's doesn't seem to be an issue as it doesn't Direct Play and is transcoded for those browsers.

15 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

And if you drag and drop the video directly into the browser it does the same correct?  Most previous topics it is either the system HEVC addon or possibly HWA in the browser itself.

Yes, it does the same for the MP4 HEVC.  Which it attempts to play within the browser natively, but the MKV attempts to download the file.  So it's the Chrome implementation of the HEVC codec addon.  Do you know how I check this and/or how I force EMBY to not think it can play the file and transcode until better browser support is present?

Edited by Rumbaar

GrimReaper
23 hours ago, Rumbaar said:

Via Firefox and EDGE it's doesn't seem to be an issue as it doesn't Direct Play and is transcoded for those browsers.

1 hour ago, Rumbaar said:

Windows 10

Hm, Edge should have DirectPlayed that.

image.png.8d9372c081e39857f63b0a3aaa7fdc37.png

Do you have HEVC video extension installed?

Alternatively, have you tried Marmaduke Chromium?

Edited by GrimReaper

The browsers only direct play it if it can be hardware decoded. They don't attempt to do it in software as far as I know.

Rumbaar
2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Hm, Edge should have DirectPlayed that.

image.png.8d9372c081e39857f63b0a3aaa7fdc37.png

Do you have HEVC video extension installed?

Alternatively, have you tried Marmaduke Chromium?

So the only solution, currently, is to not use Chrome?  I've manually installed nothing that I'm aware of, and using the built in HEVC support of Chrome.   I can control certain browsers I use, but not all of them (across all hardware) and not for all users.

This is what I get for EDGE

image.png.fbf8e58aad604a6a6774c817d5c004cf.png

1 hour ago, Luke said:

The browsers only direct play it if it can be hardware decoded. They don't attempt to do it in software as far as I know.

I'm not sure what to do with this information, unless it was answering the OP and not my subset of questions relating to Chrome browser based HEVC (MP4) support.

Edited by Rumbaar

Does your system that you're playing support hardware decoding of hevc?

I'm pretty sure that's what you need for the browser to direct play it.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Does your system that you're playing support hardware decoding of hevc?

Considering this:

On 1/16/2023 at 5:06 AM, Rumbaar said:

my HEVC 4k MKV container media plays direct via Chrome and not stuttering

image.png.f6f801e8950af6dfacc72d24bc7e801a.png

I reckon it's safe to assume that it does.