Moving from Blu-Ray ISO to MKV - What to expect?

crashkelly

Just trying the latest version of DVDFab with MKV Passthrough.  Awesome!!  Think I'll buy it....ouch it's expensive.

Mark Anderson

Just trying the latest version of DVDFab with MKV Passthrough.  Awesome!!  Think I'll buy it....ouch it's expensive.

Agreed on both and sucks you need a different product to rip DVD's. That said, I don't have the time or inclination deal with titles like Now You See Me on other products (I tried several). They have 26% off now, so lifetime is about $120 for DVD and BD Ripper

For MKV Passthrough in DVDFab, should I select Vobsub or PGS subs for the forced subs.  Considering MBT uses xy-vsfilter.  Not certain which is more compatible.

$120 Awesome - in what way - just curious.

Well so far it's managed to pick the correct title, and not the fake ones.  MakeMKV is more trial and error.  And if you have a stack of ISO's already done that just need converting to MKV 1:1, you can just queue them one after the other and do other things.

Mark Anderson

Well so far it's managed to pick the correct title, and not the fake ones.  MakeMKV is more trial and error.  And if you have a stack of ISO's already done that just need converting to MKV 1:1, you can just queue them one after the other and do other things.

+1. I know tons of people on these forums object to paying for software or paying more than the lowest they can find. (Not suggesting any responders on this thread fall into those categories). I'm willing to pay more than MKV price for a lifetime license of something that does exactly what DigiTM says. If it weren't for DVDFab, I really wouldn't bother converting to MKV. It really bugs me when I mention DVDFab and get a dozen replies saying it's double the price of MakeMKV. I think the DVDFab folks have overdone it on dissecting the product into a dozen or more different products to extract more revenue. IMHO they should jus make a DVD product and a BD product (that does DVD too) and have done with it

Edited by Mark Anderson

steelman1991

Wasn't intended to be critical of anyone or their software purchases, merely curious what it brought to the table that other software packages didn't. Haven't had any issues with makemkv (even with so-called problematic titles), but it's nice to know there are alternatves.

I've only had trouble with a few titles with MakeMKV... generally those relatively rare "title obfuscation" ones. I've used it on a couple hundred discs (about half bluray, half DVD) over the last four years. It's good! Note, I have AnyDVDHD in the background, so it generally works to decrypt the disc.

Marc

I've only had trouble with a few titles with MakeMKV... generally those relatively rare "title obfuscation" ones. I've used it on a couple hundred discs (about half bluray, half DVD) over the last four years. It's good! Note, I have AnyDVDHD in the background, so it generally works to decrypt the disc.

Marc

I now have MakeMKV, AnyDVDHD, and DVDFab *Copy and Ripper*  (both lifetime).  Figure it's a good investment since we are here because we are movie enthusiasts.  And this way I can have a variety of tools at my disposal depending on the disc structure.  

Don't want to turn these programs into a war, they are all good.  DVDFab correctly gets the right title most of the time if there are multiple identical titles on the disc.  So I generally use MakeMKV, however if there is more than one identical movie size on the disc then I resort to DVDFab.

Mark Anderson

I now have MakeMKV, AnyDVDHD, and DVDFab *Copy and Ripper*  (both lifetime).  Figure it's a good investment since we are here because we are movie enthusiasts.  And this way I can have a variety of tools at my disposal depending on the disc structure.  

Don't want to turn these programs into a war, they are all good.  DVDFab correctly gets the right title most of the time if there are multiple identical titles on the disc.  So I generally use MakeMKV, however if there is more than one identical movie size on the disc then I resort to DVDFab.

I think I'll probably end up with same

AVTechMan

Anyone managed to do T2 Skynet edition? I can't even get it started in any tool. Whoever mastered this disk needs shooting. Even in my new BD processor, it's a joke.

I have T2 Skynet Edition, and I had no problem ripping it using AnyDVD HD and ClownBD. That version of the disc has three versions of the movie, depending on what version you prefer.

I also use MakeMKV, mostly for DVD titles, and with BD's, I usually use AnyDVD HD with ClownBD as its easier for me to not have to unselect all of the subtitles that I don't want. Afterward, I use mkvMerge to make the MKV, as its a better tool to set the proper flags with the subtitles, especially with the forced subs which sometimes makeMKV chokes with, and with one movie where I have to set the subtitle track as forced since the main language is Spanish (Pan's Labyrinth).

mkvMerge also comes in handy for combining MKV's for multidisc movies like LOTR, and TTC.

Pays to have different tools for the job. DVDFab I use if I want DVD folder structure, otherwise it doesn't see much use. 

Edited by AVTechMan

Mark Anderson

I have T2 Skynet Edition, and I had no problem ripping it using AnyDVD HD and ClownBD. That version of the disc has three versions of the movie, depending on what version you prefer.

I also use MakeMKV, mostly for DVD titles, and with BD's, I usually use AnyDVD HD with ClownBD as its easier for me to not have to unselect all of the subtitles that I don't want. Afterward, I use mkvMerge to make the MKV, as its a better tool to set the proper flags with the subtitles, especially with the forced subs which sometimes makeMKV chokes with, and with one movie where I have to set the subtitle track as forced since the main language is Spanish (Pan's Labyrinth).

mkvMerge also comes in handy for combining MKV's for multidisc movies like LOTR, and TTC.

Pays to have different tools for the job. DVDFab I use if I want DVD folder structure, otherwise it doesn't see much use. 

Thanks AVTechMan. Maybe I'll give the disk a clean, as it seems to be an issue reading the disc, but it played OK in my BD player some weeks ago

steelman1991

Definitely 'horses for courses' and agree with the subtitle\makemkv comment - don't think I have had one yet that I haven't had to change the 'header's' for a forced stream. The streams rip correctly, just the flags that aren't set properly.

crashkelly

Pretty much what I have as well. Good to cover your bases

Cheers

Ergo Proxy

I've been playing around with moving from blu ray folder rips to MKV using MakeMKV but I don't see anyway to get the files smaller than 25 gigs. Any ideas?

I personally use BD Rebuilder to compress and remove unwanted audio/subtitle channels. You can set custom filesizes but you also have settings for BD5 BD9 BD25 and BD50 along with outputting to MKV and MP4. Worth having a look.

Mark Anderson

I personally use BD Rebuilder to compress and remove unwanted audio/subtitle channels. You can set custom filesizes but you also have settings for BD5 BD9 BD25 and BD50 along with outputting to MKV and MP4. Worth having a look.

You can probably save a several hundred MB by removing some unwanted audio tracks.

HD audio tracks are 4-5GB, if you want to lose those, that and reducing PQ are the only ways to make a real dent. but I'm guessing the reason you bought BD was for the PQ and HD audio?

Mark Anderson

I don't have a 7.1 (or 7.2) system, so I don't bother ripping the HD audio. Usually my rips are 15 GB to low 20s.

Not sure why you correlate 7.x with HD audio. Disappointingly, over 80% of HD audio tracks are in 5.1. The "HD" is lossless compression, and has nothing to do with the no of channels.

Not sure why you correlate 7.x with HD audio. Disappointingly, over 80% of HD audio tracks are in 5.1. The "HD" is lossless compression, and has nothing to do with the no of channels.

Well stated. My mistake. I stand corrected.

What I should have said is that my old AVR can't handle anything more than DTS or DD over optical (not even LPCM) . It's got no HDMI inputs. So, DTS-MA and TruHD are beyond my system's capabilities.

Marc