Moving from Blu-Ray ISO to MKV - What to expect?

crashkelly

CWNashvegas

While I don't enjoy the newest form of protection, it isn't that bad. I'll take better picture and sound quality any day over a little hassle with the one time ripping.

In my case it's not a format preference, most of the stuff I want is only on DVD. :)

In my case it's not a format preference, most of the stuff I want is only on DVD. :)

Yeah with older stuff that is often the case. Even sometimes with newer stuff it is only available on DVD. I've pretty much just refused to buy any show that is a current show, filmed in HD, aired in HD, but released on DVD. Just not really acceptable anymore to me at least. 

Yuck. Just doing Now You See Me through MakeMKV, there are a dozen tracks all identical in size that fit the movie.  Some of the Bluray's I have are nasty with this where multiple titles are all the same but slightly different in seconds.  Never done mkv from ISO, it's been hard on some titles.  LPCM audio is hard to put in mkv properly, and selecting the right forced subs are tricky with some titles such as Star Wars.  How do others do this, with a guarantee of knowing which track to select etc?

I noticed that in the MakeMKV forum there is an area called 'Blu-ray error reports' and occasionally if there is a difficult disk, they will discuss it there. Also have found info on DVDfab regarding which title to choose. Do a search and you might find someone who will say to use xxx title.

Edited by JDizzy

Seamless branching as mentioned before and the studios dicking with their releases to avoid copying is all the reason I am still on a 2009 Dune that plays it with proper menus. It is all a question of how much time do you want to spent preparing your releases. eac3to.exe is usually very good in creating a playable solution and also can correct sound overlaps from seamless branching.

The "Title Obfuscation" form of copy protection is annoying, but rarely used, at least in my experience. I think one or more of the Twilight series did it, and maybe 2012, and some other more recent big release I watched a few months ago. But in hundreds of movies I've ever ripped, only a handful used it. And, googling for which mpls title to rip usually gives the correct result. It's an annoyance, but a small one usually.

MakeMKV is an awesome product; I use it exclusively for ripping my discs these days. I used to also use "Another EAC-30-to Gui+" or something like that but I think it went unsupported, and meanwhile MakeMKV evolved nicely. I only use its ripping feature (for BD or DVD), I don't bother with using it for streaming.

Marc

Edited by Marc_G

I've been playing around with moving from blu ray folder rips to MKV using MakeMKV but I don't see anyway to get the files smaller than 25 gigs. Any ideas?

crashkelly

I've been playing around with moving from blu ray folder rips to MKV using MakeMKV but I don't see anyway to get the files smaller than 25 gigs. Any ideas?

MakeMKV is a straight 1 to 1 copy tool and it will not shrink the files. You could look at something like HandBrake to shrink them down after ripping to MKV. There are lots of other tools that will do the shrinking, but HandBrake is the one I used to use.

Cheers

Mark Anderson

Despite that bug I still think MakeMkv is the best tool for those who want to do it easily. It's not something you can automate though. Always needs to be done manually to make sure you get the right tracks.

If only there was a web service where makemkv, et al. could pull the titles info and chapters from based on previous ripper's uploads.

For example,

1. Load a BD/ISO
  2. MakeMKV would recognize it (somehow) 
  3. Query web service to get the streams/titles that match my prefs for that movie (English, Director's cut, fall back to theatrical version, DTS-MA fallback to TrueHD, Forced Subs, etc.).
  4. If the movie isn't there, let me verify and give meaningful descriptions to what I ripped and it uploads it to the service (very much like gracenote's CDDB used to).

This way, only or two people only need to go through the pain and ripping a ton of ISO's that are on disk could be automated.

Regards

Mark

Edited by Mark Anderson

MakeMKV is a straight 1 to 1 copy tool and it will not shrink the files. You could look at something like HandBrake to shrink them down after ripping to MKV. There are lots of other tools that will do the shrinking, but HandBrake is the one I used to use.

Cheers

Did I read this correctly in that you do not use Handbrake any longer? I'm just curious. What do you guys use once you do a straight MKV rip (using MakeMKV) of a Blu-Ray? Do you keep the file at 20 - 30 gigs?

Did I read this correctly in that you do not use Handbrake any longer? I'm just curious. What do you guys use once you do a straight MKV rip (using MakeMKV) of a Blu-Ray? Do you keep the file at 20 - 30 gigs?

Yeah if you want the best quality you just leave them as is. 

crashkelly

Yup. I rip the BD with MakeMKV and leave it at that

Cheers

Now using AnyDVD HD to do just the movie to iso, then MakeMKV for the mkv process.  This is mainly just for more complex titles.  It's pretty quick really.

Mark Anderson

Yuck. Just doing Now You See Me through MakeMKV, there are a dozen tracks all identical in size that fit the movie.  Some of the Bluray's I have are nasty with this where multiple titles are all the same but slightly different in seconds.  Never done mkv from ISO, it's been hard on some titles.  LPCM audio is hard to put in mkv properly, and selecting the right forced subs are tricky with some titles such as Star Wars.  How do others do this, with a guarantee of knowing which track to select etc?

It's a nightmare. AnyDVD will give you a hint on which track. DVDFab just does it. Pretty amazing really - I'm buying it, as it lloks like this will be a common thing going forward

steelman1991

Now using AnyDVD HD to do just the movie to iso, then MakeMKV for the mkv process.  This is mainly just for more complex titles.  It's pretty quick really.

That's a totally unnecessary step (complex titles or not) - rip straight to mkv with MakeMKV, no need to have AnyDVD HD even installed.

crashkelly

It's a nightmare. AnyDVD will give you a hint on which track. DVDFab just does it. Pretty amazing really - I'm buying it, as it lloks like this will be a common thing going forward

This is interesting, although I am looking through DVDFab as I write this and I am trying to find a way to use it to convert to an unaltered, in terms of audio and video, MKV file. I know I could use it to go from BD Disc to ISO and then use MakeMKV to go to MKV, but it would be best/easiest to be able to do it with one tool.

Thanks

Mark Anderson

This is interesting, although I am looking through DVDFab as I write this and I am trying to find a way to use it to convert to an unaltered, in terms of audio and video, MKV file. I know I could use it to go from BD Disc to ISO and then use MakeMKV to go to MKV, but it would be best/easiest to be able to do it with one tool.

Thanks

use the MKV Passthrough profile. Works perfectly. I've only used it with ISO to MKV for moment as I'm converting a bunch of ISO's but don't see why it wouldn't work directly from disc.). If you can't get it to work from disc, ping me and I'll try. I'm on version released last week and using the Ripper/Convert tab (forget what it's called in this version)

Edited by Mark Anderson
  • Like 1

That is the problem with automatic solutions. Try BDInfo it scans the disc and tells you what playlist to use. Then use that playlist and import it into either TSMUXER or MKVMerge and tick or untick the streams you want or do not want. Job done.

Edited by On2Go

crashkelly

That's a totally unnecessary step (complex titles or not) - rip straight to mkv with MakeMKV, no need to have AnyDVD HD even installed.

The issue is surrounding the BD titles that now have a slew of movies entries that are all the same size and length but only one is actually the correct one. In general ripping straight to MKV with MakeMKV does work, but for those latter types of titles it can be a lot of leg work to figure out which entry is the right one

Cheers

My 2 cents:

Most content, I use MakeMKV to go straight to MKV from disc using default settings, unless there's exotic (to me) audio to be unselected, such as the occasional LPCM default audio track (my AVR can't deal with it). For TV series, I'll run the disc and make sure I know which MKV is which episode, before I unmount the disc. Or, I'll make a separate ISO rip of the disc for later comparison (yes, takes space...).

The only problem is when there are subs to deal with... often I don't know in advance if they will be there. But more often than not, if MakeMKV outputs a file that has just 1 sub stream, it's usually the full English text that I don't care about. If it outputs two, one will be the forced subs I want and I can either manually select at playback, if the right track isn't autoselected by the LAV system. Some titles (star wars) are more complicated of course, and then there are "foreign films" where it's important to get the right track. Living in the US, I'm stating all of this in a very English-centric way... adjust as needed.

All told, I rarely interact with a title for more than 2 minutes outside of playback. It may take a while to do the rip, but setting it up is quick and painless. I eat dinner while the disc rips...

crashkelly

use the MKV Passthrough profile. Works perfectly. I've only used it with ISO to MKV for moment as I'm converting a bunch of ISO's but don't see why it wouldn't work directly from disc.). If you can't get it to work from disc, ping me and I'll try. I'm on version released last week and using the Ripper/Convert tab (forget what it's called in this version)

Found that profile and am trying it now. Thanks

EDIT: Just ripped a BD with that profile and it appears to have come through untouched. Always good to have a second tool at your disposal, especially considering I still have a year and a half subscription left on DVDFab.

Edited by crashkelly

The issue is surrounding the BD titles that now have a slew of movies entries that are all the same size and length but only one is actually the correct one. In general ripping straight to MKV with MakeMKV does work, but for those latter types of titles it can be a lot of leg work to figure out which entry is the right one

Cheers

True, but wait a couple days and then check the AnyDVD and MakeMKV forums. Folks will post there which mlps to use...

crashkelly

True, but wait a couple days and then check the AnyDVD and MakeMKV forums. Folks will post there which mlps to use...

True as well. Forgot about that :huh:

Thanks

Had this issue with one of the Twilight movies. "Title obfuscation." Suddenly it was playing scenes out of order. Wife WAS NOT AMUSED.

:angry:

Good thing I had the disc handy and was able to play if from that...

crashkelly

Had this issue with one of the Twilight movies. "Title obfuscation." Suddenly it was playing scenes out of order. Wife WAS NOT AMUSED.

:angry:

Good thing I had the disc handy and was able to play if from that...

Always have to have the disc handy when it is theater time for the wife ..... learned that as well ;)

Mark Anderson

Anyone managed to do T2 Skynet edition? I can't even get it started in any tool. Whoever mastered this disk needs shooting. Even in my new BD processor, it's a joke.