Subtitles on XBox not working

Frank.Kortekaas

Frank.Kortekaas

I have Emby running on my Synology (version 4.7.11.0) and am accessing movies on it via different devices. One of them being an XBox One where I installed Emby Theater.

It happens a lot that subtitles are not shown when watching a movie via Xbox, as where they do show when I watch the same movie on for instance my mobile phone. Is this a known error? Haven't been able to find any info on this for now.

Frank.Kortekaas

Hi Luke,

See attached logfile. Additional information:

• running emby server version 4.7.11.0 on Synology
  • running emby theater version 1.1.465.70 on Xbox One
  • running emby for android version 3.2.90 on my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S21)

• started movie 'the menu' on Xbox at 13:19:28. I can see an error message in the logfile regarding subtitles.
  • stopped movie 'the menu' on Xbox at 13:20:49
  • started movie 'the menu' on my mobile phone at 13:21:22
  • stopped movie 'the menu' on my mobile phone at 13:21:45

Let me know if you need more information.

thanks,

Frank

embyserver FKO.txt

Hi, we're trying to extract the embedded subtitles on the fly and it looks like this just isn't happening quickly enough in your environment. Can you try external text subtitles? How does that compare?

Frank.Kortekaas

Hi Luke,

I tried 2 movies with external subtitles:

• film 1: size of 19 Gb - see attached log file ffmpeg-remux-d8d76195-c5fd-464a-a155-26b207e71449_1.txt
  • film 2: size of 9 Gb - see attached log file ffmpeg-remux-75d29f7e-7929-4dee-a7f7-0427939b51f9_1.txt

With film 1, I do not get any subtitles when running via XBox; it works fine when watching via my mobile phone.

With film 2, it works fine on both Xbox & mobile phone.

Could it be XBox resources are not enough to handle large movies / movies with embedded subtitles?

ffmpeg-remux-75d29f7e-7929-4dee-a7f7-0427939b51f9_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-d8d76195-c5fd-464a-a155-26b207e71449_1.txt

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 9:55 AM, Frank.Kortekaas said:

Hi @Luke,  did you get a chance to have a look at this?

@Frank.Kortekaas can you please attach the corresponding emby server log that goes with the ffmpeg log? Since it's been a few days you'll need to repeat the test. I think this is more about the server than the app. 

Thanks !