Emby putting wrong episodes in wrong seasons

Lukeaswain

Lukeaswain

For some reason Emby is not letting me manually change the locations of episodes.

The main issue is with the tv series "American Dad" - TVDB list 7 episodes in the first season, however other sources list 19.

Example of another source [1]: https://americandad.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_Guide#Season_1:_2005-2006

The files are downloaded in accordance with the layout in the link above, however even if I put 19 video files in the season 1 folder, Emby automatically links season 2 the files in the season 1 folder in accordance with its listing for the series here [2] https://thetvdb.com/series/american-dad

If I manually change the meta data for season 2 in Emby, although the files are correct on the storage drive, Emby will play the incorrect episode.

For example, I want to play episode 1 of season 3, the 2 sources disagree with each other. Source [1] (Fandom) says this episode is called "The Vacation Goo", however source [2] (TVDB) says the episode should be the "Camp Refooge". Because of this the episode shows as "Camp Refoogie" in Emby, and when played the actual episode playing is "The Vacation Goo"

Because of this I cannot manually change meta data.

Can I force Emby to respect the folders on my drive instead of pointing seasons to another folder it thinks is best suited?

Lukeaswain

Hi Luke,

Sadly I had to delete seasons 1-5 for now due to some issues that renaming the files caused. Currently working on restoring that however here is the layout of the folders for other seasons, the layout is the same through the whole season.

image.png.16dec1aa891c420d40b976f03f87339c.png

image.png.81dbf372dbbe240be635487349f8d664.png

Hoping this assists you.

Thanks

Lukeaswain

I just got some extra files.

Here is Season 1 - all highlighted files are in season 1 in drive, but show in season 2 on emby

Capture.PNG

Edited by Lukeaswain

Happy2Play

American Dad is a problematic show as TVDB has it a season off from releases as some point.

example

release American.Dad.S18E22 is American.Dad.S19E22 on TVDB.

Emby would need episode mapping to change edge cases like this.  I have this in MCM that so it automatically changes the naming when processed.

But it is also good that your episode actually has episode names also.

In the end it is about how TVDB/TMDB has.

You can search the forum for the TVMaze plug as they actually have a different order but plugin order are problematic also as you end up changing order, fetching metadata, locking Show/episodes and resetting fetcher order.

Season 1 - Episode List | TVmaze

• Agree 1

Lukeaswain

@Happy2PlayI installed the plugin you suggested, is it supposed to come up when editing the library as an option to get metadata from that source?
It does not seem to be anywhere.

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, Lukeaswain said:

@Happy2PlayI installed the plugin you suggested, is it supposed to come up when editing the library as an option to get metadata from that source?

Per content type TV Shows you should see the provider for each plugin at Series/Season/Episode level. (Look like this plugin is currently only in 4.8 beta server)

image.png.fbd446b4ca36cb2c1b6d6ec7b6a0ce6a.png

image.png.24c074395163afbe2bf5c61ae1f2a46f.png

Happy2Play

But as I mentioned you will/could have possible issues as there are only 18 seasons on TVMAZE so you may have to do selective Season Refreshes and require locking metadata.

SDMattman

Not to hijack the thread... but I have a similar issue with another show.

TVDB changed the seasons and episodes for Little People, Big World and it threw everything off when I did a metadata refresh.  I can pull up the metadata in EMBY for a show that's in a Season 2 folder and EMBY shows it in Season 3 - along with new metadata showing it's now S3E01.

My question is... can I just dump all the episodes into a single folder, strip the S0XEXX from the file names, and have EMBY sort them all out?  The files all have the episode title in them, so I was hoping it could match on that data.

GrimReaper
19 minutes ago, SDMattman said:

My question is... can I just dump all the episodes into a single folder, strip the S0XEXX from the file names, and have EMBY sort them all out?  The files all have the episode title in them, so I was hoping it could match on that data.

Nope, best what you could potentially do was name them S01Exx and change order to Absolute, however that data is not populated on TVDB so they're all still Unassigned so that's moot. 

image.thumb.png.b46f25bd011528e8a78b50143859ab19.png

19 minutes ago, SDMattman said:

TVDB changed the seasons and episodes for Little People, Big World and it threw everything off when I did a metadata refresh.  I can pull up the metadata in EMBY for a show that's in a Season 2 folder and EMBY shows it in Season 3 - along with new metadata showing it's now S3E01.

How does your folder structure look like, how many episodes per season? TMDB lists that show differently, if it matches your seasons breakdown, you might put TMDB as top preferred scraper and Refresh metadata, afterwards lock the series. 

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/330-little-people-big-world/seasons

Edited by GrimReaper
Screenshot
  • Like 1

SDMattman
38 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

How does your folder structure look like, how many episodes per season? TMDB lists that show differently, if it matches your seasons breakdown, you might put TMDB as top preferred scraper and Refresh metadata, afterwards lock the series. 

Current folder structure is:
Media.TV
---------->Little People Big World
---------------->Season 0
---------------->Season 1
---------------->Season 2 etc etc etc
---------->Some other show
---------------->Season 0
---------------->Season 1
---------------->Season 2 etc etc etc

The number of episodes vary per season.  Season 2 has 52 episodes, season 3 has 46.  I had painstakingly numbered all these to match TVDB a few years ago.  It's a bit of a weird series with its numbering.  TLC shows a different layout, with an average of 20 episodes per season.  It looks like TVDB was updated to match TLC's numbering.

Just as an experiment, I created another library and dropped some of the offending media into it after stripping the SXXEXX from the name.  To my surprise EMBY was able to match the media up to TVDB, but this solution is far from ideal.

TMDB seems to match my media so I'll give that a whirl.  I didn't know about the lock feature, so I'll be trying that out for sure.

Thanks!!!

SDMattman
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

This fixed it!! Thank you! This saved me hours of work! 🙂 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
charlesk
On 12/01/2023 at 11:45, Lukeaswain said:

@Happy2PlayI can't seem to see TVMaze plugin in the catalogue?  Is this a manual install somewhere instead? Thanks!