Can't stop emby from running after PC restart

zebo51

Windows 11 Home

I have unchecked run server at startup in settings, yet when I restart my PC, open my browser it still shows its running. 

When I look under services I don't see anything called emby.  Yet if I look at running processes I see embyserver and embytray running. 

How do I keep this from running at startup when I reboot my PC?

List in Windows 11 Process view

image.png.165d67a0d106221312b25dae19ea6a7e.png

Not listed under services

image.png.e51965121afb163130b3843714478383.png

Listed in tasklist view using cmd

image.png.f95acd8e8a4c7bd86ab5d6709f1d3400.png

42 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Have you checked your startup folder in Windows?

Empty

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Edited by zebo51

Dickydodah!

Try looking in the Users startup folder. It should be in the folder for the user account that installed Emby

C:\Users\"USER NAME"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup is for all users IIRC

• Like 1

Dickydodah!

You could also look in Task Manager at the Startup Apps tab which is also an easy place to disable most of the junk that starts with Windoze 😮

27 minutes ago, Dickydodah! said:

Try looking in the Users startup folder. It should be in the folder for the user account that installed Emby

C:\Users\"USER NAME"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup is for all users IIRC

Also empty

24 minutes ago, Dickydodah! said:

You could also look in Task Manager at the Startup Apps tab which is also an easy place to disable most of the junk that starts with Windoze 😮

Yeah its not an app but looked there just to make sure and it isn't listed.

ok just rebooted again and it didn't start up.  Weird.  I restarted in the first place because of a cumulative update.  I'll keep an eye on it but still weird.

Thanks for all suggestions. 

Dickydodah!

Windows 11 seems to be a bit free with using "App" when it is actually a program so don't take too much notice of that. My Emby is still on W10 but my laptop is W11 and they have made a few changes so a search for "emby" on your boot drive will find it but it might take a bit of investigation.

Dickydodah!

I've found that sometimes after a reboot to update W11 restarts all the programs that were running. It might be if you let Windows Update to initiate the restart instead of doing it yourself but I've not bothered to look too hard 😁

2 hours ago, zebo51 said:

Windows 11 Home

I have unchecked run server at startup in settings, yet when I restart my PC, open my browser it still shows its running. 

When I look under services I don't see anything called emby.  Yet if I look at running processes I see embyserver and embytray running. 

How do I keep this from running at startup when I reboot my PC?

List in Windows 11 Process view

image.png.165d67a0d106221312b25dae19ea6a7e.png

Not listed under services

image.png.e51965121afb163130b3843714478383.png

Listed in tasklist view using cmd

image.png.f95acd8e8a4c7bd86ab5d6709f1d3400.png

Have you explored the settings in the emby web interface?

26 minutes ago, zebo51 said:

I restarted in the first place because of a cumulative update

I've found that Windows does try to re-start previously running apps when it restarts for an update.

Dickydodah!

I knew I had read about it somewhere 😁

Use sign-in info to reopen apps after restart

Since Windows 10 1709 update – the Falls creator update, Microsoft introduced this feature under Privacy setting which allows Windows to use your sign-in information to configure your account after a PC has been restarted, or an update applied. This feature has also been brought forward to Windows 11 as well and enabled by default. This will make all previously opened applications and windows to reopen automatically upon restart. Microsoft has since further released multiple improvements to the feature and allows more apps to reopen this way after restart.

2 hours ago, Dickydodah! said:

I knew I had read about it somewhere 😁

Use sign-in info to reopen apps after restart

Since Windows 10 1709 update – the Falls creator update, Microsoft introduced this feature under Privacy setting which allows Windows to use your sign-in information to configure your account after a PC has been restarted, or an update applied. This feature has also been brought forward to Windows 11 as well and enabled by default. This will make all previously opened applications and windows to reopen automatically upon restart. Microsoft has since further released multiple improvements to the feature and allows more apps to reopen this way after restart.

I have mine set to not automatically install or restart on updates.  Emby has not been running on my laptop, but when I leave home for an extended time I take my media with me on an external drive, so that is why I have an instance of Emby on my laptop.  Anyway, I had stopped emby server from within the web interface and had rebooted before for other reasons and it didn't start as expected.  This time however after this latest windows update, I rebooted to finish it and emby started again.

4 hours ago, ebr said:

I've found that Windows does try to re-start previously running apps when it restarts for an update.

Yeah as mentioned though it wasn't running.

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Have you explored the settings in the emby web interface?

As mentioned in my OP, run at server startup is unchecked.  I don't see anything else about starting it.