Metadata issue discerning two shows same name (Doctor Who)

aerospyke
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

aerospyke

Hey all,

I have my Dr Who shows ripped from DVD of the new series, and my wife got me some DVD's of the original shows from the 1969 series....but upon ripping them and putting them into Emby, it's being sorted a) into the Doctor Who 2005 Show, even if they are in different folders (Doctor Who 2005 and Doctor Who 1969), b) metadata manager doesn't show the second folder for the older series, and c) the old shows aren't even visible unless I search. Manually changing metadata to the IMDB and TVDB tags for the episodes doesn't do anything, and I wonder if it's because it doesn't think the show exists?

Has anyone had this problem before?

Attached screenshots of the following

- search showing two episodes, one from new series, one from old. Categorised same show.

- metadata page of an example episode showing the right tags (clicking and testing them comes up with the right show and year)

- folder listings in metadata manager, not even showing the folder that the older series is residing so can't even force the show ID there.

Looking in the logs, can't even find issues showing problems, have lines showing successfully acquired coverart and media probe manager successfully doing their things on the test files.

dr-who-tags.JPG

metadata-listing.JPG

search.JPG

• Solution
GrimReaper

Name series folders as: 

Doctor Who (1963) [tvdbid=76107]

and

Doctor Who (2005) [tvdbid=78804]

Re-scan.

• Thanks 1

aerospyke

I see so you mean rename the root folder on the underlying file system for the library to include the tvdbid in brackets?

aerospyke

Thanks, Done that. Hasn't done anything, and the metadata manager is even still showing the old folder name so i'm restarting the server and will give it some time. Is there a way to refresh the folder listing there or is it not something that would show something is wrong?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, aerospyke said:

Thanks, Done that. Hasn't done anything

Hm, should have. You can also remove those series folder out of your parent TV shows folder, scan library, put them back, scan again.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

aerospyke

Oh so sadface. I did it, they both showed up while the library was scanning, and when it finished, I only have one again. 

GrimReaper
Just now, aerospyke said:

Oh so sadface. I did it, they both showed up while the library was scanning, and when it finished, I only have one again. 

Pls post server log.

aerospyke

EDIT: Just realised the TITLE of the single show was locked in metadata, unlocked it, refreshed and rescanned and they both showed up again .... *sigh* oh so sad. At least they are showing up and I have learned something very awesome.

Thanks, Props given Grim!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aerospyke said:

Thanks, Done that. Hasn't done anything, and the metadata manager is even still showing the old folder name so i'm restarting the server and will give it some time. Is there a way to refresh the folder listing there or is it not something that would show something is wrong?

Hi, just run a regular library scan.

6 hours ago, aerospyke said:

This is what I mean just in case I'm not clear...

locked.JPG

Do you have nfo files in the series folders containing this information? You probably do, so try deleting those and then refresh metadata on the series. Or even better use the Identify feature.

aerospyke
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Do you have nfo files in the series folders containing this information? You probably do, so try deleting those and then refresh metadata on the series. Or even better use the Identify feature.

I did not, they only had avi files in season folders. No metadata files had yet been generated that I could see. Identify wasn't working either. It looked like it was doing something but nothing changed. As a series or TV show, they did not exist in the GUI or back end. Only could I search and find episodes.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, just run a regular library scan.

This did not work

• 10 months later...
Junglejim

From memory the original series should be just "Doctor Who" and the new series is "Doctor Who (2005)". Not sure whats changed in that regard but I scraped these years ago and it worked out fine.

Edited by Junglejim

arrbee99

The good news, I think, so far, touch wood, Is my combined / messed up all in one Doctor Who's series has separated itself into two just by going to the series and telling Emby to identify it as 'Doctor Who'.

eightoftwelve

Hey luke, FYI, 

When I have made this mistake in the past, I needed to delete the nfo files (I save metadata to nfo files).

If I do not, then when it rescans after correcting the top level folder name, it loads the previous metadata from nfo and nothings is actually fixed.  

There is not a problem with the way emby works, just something you need to be aware of.

I am not sure if our user here used nfo files, but it is a trap for young players....

Scotty