Crossover episode handling

Locutus64

Locutus64

N.C.I.C., N.C.I.S: Hawai'I, AND N.C.I.S. Los Angeles had a cross last night. Normally the only one I watch is Hawai'i but since it's a crossover I'm watching all three. After I watch over I usually delete the episode for the show I don't normally watch and file away the episode for the one I do watch. However this time I've decided it really makes no sense to delete the other episodes in the crossover cause then the one that is kept is now out of context. I know I can create series folders and season folders for the kept episodes. What I want to know if there is any way to have the first episode in the crossover point to the next epoisode(s)? Thanks

GrimReaper

Since you're only keeping Hawai'i, make the other two its Specials to be played before/after desired Hawai'i episode.

• Agree 2

rbjtech

Agreed - I wrote a script to do all the 'Crossover' specials insertions for many shows - but as a one off - just do as Grim has suggested.  Copy the episodes as 'specials' in the original show - create fake special numbers - start @ 100 or something to avoid it being picked up as a real 'special' - ie '<showname> s0e100'

Then in it's metadata, set the 'Specials' section to show it in the correct place (ie correct season, correct episode 'before' etc)

The downside of this is you won;t get real metadata for it - as emby won't recognise it.   You can copy the nfo and local poster files - but then you are getting into a more complex solution.

As an example - this is a 3 way crossover in Arrow - using episodes from The Flash and Supergirl. (this is using STRM files - actually pointing/playing from the other shows media).

image.thumb.png.d2594e72fd31db5780693d2ff88c82f7.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2

Locutus64

Later this week I'm going to do a hunt for crossovers and download the episodes I don't have for various shows since there isn't a huge amount. Should be easily under 80 episodes to be downloaded. I'd also like to just dump the season folders since they're really not needed any longer. I just tested with Doctor Who 2005 and Emby sorted the seasons and specials perfectly. I have to assume that this would change how I would associate for example the other two NCIS episodes with Hawai'i. Any thought and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

rbjtech

So once you have your 'specials' listed - then in that episodes metadata in the 'Specials Episode Info' section - you need to specify the Season and the 'Airs before' episode.

In the above Arrow example (Elseworlds Episode 1) - this 'special' is placed after Episode 8.  

image.png.7d8fbe71e8a906a4bc8903ca8bae6ce9.png

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
Locutus64

Thanks for the replies I'll go through then in a few minutes. I need to report I didn't get notified that there were replies to this thread even though I am following it. Can someone please look into it? Thanks

Locutus64
On 1/10/2023 at 5:37 AM, GrimReaper said:

Since you're only keeping Hawai'i, make the other two its Specials to be played before/after desired Hawai'i episode.

OK I like this, sounds like it would be the simplest solution, but I have no idea on how to set up a specific play order.

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, Locutus64 said:

but I have no idea on how to set up a specific play order.

In Special episode metadata you'll have "Airs during season" and "Airs before episode" which'll enable you to have them play in the exact desired spot you'd like within desired season.

image.png.f4992fab3c153ca79a57f78724a42d35.png

Locutus64

OK that's fine for say 1 episode of a crossover but most are at least 3 parts, and like with the CW's DC shows their crossovers could include up to 6 shows. Play list in this case seem like they would make more sense, but from trying to create one it autoselected all episodes in the season selected. I don't know about you but myself and everyone I know when creating a playlist expects to be able to pick and choose the individual files for said playlist.

Edited by Locutus64

GrimReaper

Maybe @rbjtechwould be willing to share his script, likely making that process more streamlined.

On 1/10/2023 at 4:24 PM, rbjtech said:

I wrote a script to do all the 'Crossover' specials insertions for many shows

Edit: ...which he already did. Kudos, Rich.

Edited by GrimReaper
Link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Maybe @rbjtechwould be willing to share his script, likely making that process more streamlined.

It was written in the very early days of me tinkering with emby, based off file locations instead of Item Id's - so it not really useful to share.

The key issue with 'crossovers' is there is no solid online source of where the crossovers happen - I wish it was something that tvdb included.

I have all the main ones (CW included) in a CSV text file which I used as a input file for the script - but I wish I had used tvdb episode id's instead of file locations ...

It's probably a good idea for a script to Plugin conversion - but sadly don't have the time at the moment.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 2